Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,173
» Latest member: jjayboyy
» Forum threads: 5,585
» Forum posts: 47,941

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 277 online users.
» 3 Member(s) | 269 Guest(s)
Applebot, Baidu, Bing, Facebook, Google, Jeff Jones, Orion Pobursky, Philippe Hurbain

Latest Threads
Incorrect clip placement ...
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Philippe Hurbain
4 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 87
New red panda from Jungle...
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: George Nichols
Yesterday, 22:53
» Replies: 0
» Views: 45
Make 572c01 flexible
Forum: Parts Authoring
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
Yesterday, 20:07
» Replies: 12
» Views: 5,471
Official Part Fix Submiss...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
Yesterday, 3:05
» Replies: 18
» Views: 1,287
Technic 1986
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Takeshi Takahashi
2024-06-24, 15:58
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3,438
Towball Hitching Plate 2x...
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: Cam's Bricks
2024-06-24, 11:10
» Replies: 2
» Views: 200
MLCad.ini 2024-04 update ...
Forum: LDraw.org Announcements
Last Post: Willy Tschager
2024-06-23, 11:16
» Views: 79
[LDPatternCreator] Releas...
Forum: Parts Author Tools
Last Post: Nils Schmidt
2024-06-22, 21:59
» Views: 211
LDCad 1.7 Beta 1 (win+lin...
Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers
Last Post: Philippe Hurbain
2024-06-22, 15:32
» Replies: 80
» Views: 15,528
[LDPE] 1.8.80 Released (t...
Forum: Parts Author Tools
Last Post: N. W. Perry
2024-06-22, 13:41
» Replies: 1
» Views: 159

Clips and Minifig Radio
Posted by: Roland Melkert - 2013-08-31, 16:23 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (1)

I was playing around and noticed that the Minifig Radio parts (e.g. 3962a) don't fit onto clips (or minifig hands).

Also the 61252 clip seems to have a bfc problem.

Just reporting in hopes somebody picks this up.

Print this item

smoothing algorithm without quads
Posted by: Nicola - 2013-08-30, 14:07 - Forum: Rendering Techniques - Replies (5)

I'm upgrading my webgl renderer program Brigl to work with the latest version of Three.js (the 3d engine i use).
I've found a bitter suprise: they deprecated the Quad primitive (Face4). Now the whole library only deals with triangles (Face3).
I relied to quads for my smoothing algorithm, and everything broke Smile

So my algorithm worked like this: if two faces have a conditional line on the common edge, that means the faces should be smoothed. Smoothing means averaging all normals (per-vertex face normals) at each end of the conditional lines.

I've adjusted for the Face4 removal in the simplest way: by adding two Face3 composing the quad. But now it happends that if i have two quad connected by a condline, only two of the four triangles are affected, the other two staying unsmoothed, effectively creating a zigzag pattern. You can see it here:

[Image: zigzag.jpg]

Do you have any idea on how i could correct this issue? I tried to keep track of triangle pairs forming quads, but i couldn't manage to restore a working solution.
Eventually i could move all smoothing code to BEFORE generating the 3d mesh, that is while still working with plain ldraw objects (quads and tri), but it looks like an huge amount of work..

Print this item

Thumbs Up request about 11291 Front 4X3X2/3 W. Bow
Posted by: Anonymous User - 2013-08-29, 17:14 - Forum: Part Requests - Replies (11)

Hi all lego fan

I search in data base about this part 11291 Front 4X3X2/3 W. Bow , and i did not found complete part into.

I would share two Moc using it, but without this part you should understand it's not right...
So if a modeler can help us by creating it, it's will to be very great!

appologies about my vocabulary, i'm a french guy.

See you

Print this item

Aligning Categories to user expectations
Posted by: Allen Smith - 2013-08-28, 21:34 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (25)

Someone just posted the following to a local LUG mailing list I'm subscribed to (emphasis added):

Quote:Thinking about it, I can remember what derailed my learning LDraw/Mcad/ et al... it was the parts management system… [T]he hundreds of variations with a surface graphic made the whole stack completely unmanageable.

While I don't know the author, I really have to agree with the sentiment. Regular bread-and-butter categories one uses all the time for building are clogged with enormous numbers of decorated parts which are almost never used. Over the years, the single most-requested feature for Bricksmith was to add a "Favorite" category, and I can't help bust suspect this was part of the reason.

A couple years ago when I was adding !CATEGORY support to Bricksmith, I came to the conclusion the situation was actually getting worse. Notably, Duplo elements were being piled into the regular categories like "Brick". The !CATEGORY keyword was also inconsistently applied, so some bricks fell into defined categories, and some fell into implicit categories based on the first word of their description. Some logical first-word categories were being exterminated for inexplicable reasons, but only in a piecemeal fashion. Since it was all inconsistent, it was insanely difficult to find anything. I actually gave up and intentionally ignored !CATEGORY for any single-word category name.

I would like to take a cue from Bricklink here. Separate decorated elements out of the most commonly-used categories of Brick, Tile, and Slope. I think this would be a huge win for regular users.

I would also like to see !CATEGORY be dependable. When I last checked in on the situation (at least a year ago), every Categorization was potentially subject to a review squabble (and endless limbo) on the part tracker. That was the point at which I gave up on implementing the feature and went back to using the description for almost everything.

Print this item

SubFile resolving
Posted by: Jan Jirout - 2013-08-26, 22:49 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (6)

Hello,

I'm trying to write simple program that parse .dat files and build tree representation of LDraw model in memory. I have problem to read some sub file references. For example line:

Code:
1 16 290 0 230 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
This line is reference to file "stud.dat". Problem is that this file doesn't exists. I can't find advise how to resolve "stud.dat" to existing file name in LDraw part library. Is there any way how to resolve it?

Thanks

Jan

Print this item

OpengGL color / material properties
Posted by: Roland Melkert - 2013-08-25, 19:45 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (23)

Hi all,

I'm playing around with making the difference between plastic and e.g. rubber parts visible in LDCad.

I've found some nice OpenGL material references but was wondering if there is some kind of 'standard' floating around. Especially for determining the diffuse, ambient and specular components based upon the single rgb supplied in LDConfig.ldr

Up to now I'm using the rgb for both diffuse and ambient, and have a static specular of 1,1,1 and shininess of 128 (which is more appropriate for chrome I'm realizing now).

I'm doing this with the standard lighting model (not shaders) for now (LDCad runs on OpenGL as low as 1.1), so I only can play with the base four components for now.

Print this item

Quick question regarding stud4fns's
Posted by: Jude Parrill - 2013-08-24, 23:16 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (1)

Is there a reason why we don't include the inner-bottom (where it connects with the adjoining part) edgeline on stud4fns's? At least the part I've been using recently (stud4f4s) doesn't include this line, meaning I have to add it individually for each stud, which is a pain and clutters up larger parts which use lots of them. Was this an oversight? If I were to update and resubmit this primitive, would anybody have a problem with it?

Print this item

Iron Man and Captain America
Posted by: Reuben Pearse - 2013-08-23, 19:07 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (6)

Hi all,

I've seen that MagFors has been busy working on some Iron Man parts :-)

I noticed that on the image for set 76007 (Iron Man : Malibu Mansion Attack) that the visor appears to have a hinge. Is that correct? How does the hinge mechanism work?
See images here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebricktime/8459856541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/porschecm2/8519272619/

BTW I recently rendered an Iron Man using POV-Ray...
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/images/ironman_3d_1024.png
A copy of the LDraw file for this figure is available here:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego/models/ironman/

I found Captain America's shield here:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...902p02.dat
Is anyone working on any other Captain America parts?

One final question - what is the correct hair part for Tony Stark?

Bye for now

Reuben
=====================================
Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego
=====================================

Print this item

LDD Brickset vs. LDraw Library and Parts Tracker
Posted by: Rolf Osterthun - 2013-08-22, 15:16 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (26)

Hey,

there are a lot of LEGO bricks that are available in the LDD, but not in LDraw. I created a list that compares the design-ids known in the LDD Brickset 1128 with the part-numbers that are currently available in the official LDraw Parts Library (up to update 2013-01) and with the part-numbers that are currently on the Parts Tracker (Server time: 2013-08-22 10:11).

The LDD uses pure numeric design-ids but LDraw sometimes has numbers with an alphanumeric appendix. To compare these two (three) lists I used the following regular expression:

Code:
^<LDDDesignId>([a-zA-Z]+[0-1a-zA-Z]*)*$
E.g.: when I am looking for the LDD design-id 2041 this expression will match 2041, 2041a, 2041b and 2041ps3 but not 20411. If I find a match, I assume that the part exists in LDraw, too. My results can be seen on this web-page: http://www.digital-bricks.de/en/index.php?site=nil.

Since it is possible to convert LDD data to LDraw compatible data, I will gradually provide all parts that have a design-id in the LDD and no matching part-number in the LDraw Universe. Anyway, some of the provided parts might already exist in the LDraw - but I claim that they have a different part-number (we need an alias).

Please remember: These are unofficial parts. They may be incomplete, or inaccurate, and it is possible that when they are officially released one day, they may be changed in ways that could mess up any model you use them in. All these parts are redistributable under CCAL version 2.0. Anybody is welcome to use these files to prepare the parts for the LDraw Parts Tracker.

I am grateful to any kind of comments, suggestions or hints.

Rolf

Print this item

Background images on MLCad
Posted by: Nicola - 2013-08-22, 14:21 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (2)

Hi, is it possible to put a background image on MLCad views ? It would be useful for tracing an object while keeping proportions and such, as in many 3d editors (see for example blender).

Print this item