Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,074
» Latest member: Del Valle
» Forum threads: 5,524
» Forum posts: 47,471

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 593 online users.
» 3 Member(s) | 585 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex, Del Valle, Luca Facchini, Orion Pobursky

Latest Threads
[split] New Sticker Sheet...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
1 hour ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 38
03 May 2024 "500 Server E...
9 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 38
Starting into Parts Autho...
Forum: Parts Authoring
Last Post: Cam's Bricks
Today, 1:20
» Replies: 0
» Views: 49
Suffix codes
Today, 1:01
» Views: 33
Eyesight on Linux
Forum: Rendering Techniques
Last Post: Sylvain Sauvage
Yesterday, 14:52
» Views: 58
Custom parts/stickers for...
Forum: Help
Last Post: Willy Tschager
Yesterday, 10:19
» Replies: 1
» Views: 108
WeDo 2.0 electronics
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: Dmitry
Yesterday, 5:14
» Replies: 23
» Views: 35,899
Rendering error/scratchy ...
Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers
Last Post: Thomas Turgyt
2024-05-01, 20:39
» Views: 58
New parts from Lego Instr...
Forum: Parts Authoring
Last Post: Vincent Messenet
2024-05-01, 20:10
» Replies: 43
» Views: 8,096
LDraw meeting in Billund ...
Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion
Last Post: Willy Tschager
2024-05-01, 12:46
» Replies: 6
» Views: 397

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.25 Beta Released (64bit only / usability / bugfix)
Posted by: Nils Schmidt - 2016-09-27, 22:12 - Forum: Parts Author Tools - Replies (49)

Hey,

here is version 0.8.25 with 8 bug fixes and <3 enhancements!
Unfortunately, I have to drop the 32bit support for a moment.
Currently, I  implement a new render path and I write some content for the wiki/manual.
The last build failed on Windows XP (32-bit) and I had no time to track down the issues, yet.
But yeah... I want to keep the release train rolling Wink

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(3 new features and 8 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...

• ...double click on a decimal number to select the whole value, including integer part, decimal part, decimal separator and minus sign if any (Text Editor).
  • ...see that all three coordinates are unchecked when the coordinate dialog opens. The coordinates where you type in a value will become active (3D Editor, Merge/Split -> Set X/Y/Z).
  • ...benefit a little from a faster draw method for lines and condlines.

The following critical issues were fixed:

1. Flipper: Condlines were "not recalculated" so their control points were wrong after flipping.
  2. The calculation for quad (and triangle) collinearity detection was wrong
  3. Last added elements were not saved (3D Editor).
  4. Wrong winding colour in some rare cases (CW: clockwise winding only)
  5. Merge/Split -> Set X/Y/Z did not work sometimes
  6. A ConcurrentModificationException occured in the process which hides condline control points
  7. A ConcurrentModificationException occured during normal calculation for the LDraw Standard Mode
  8. There were non-threadsafe method calls within the logger class.

What will the next release 0.8.26 deliver? Bug fixes, more header validation features, usability improvements and maybe a new fast render path (I don't know how much time it will need)...

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1.  Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.

Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LDPE 0.8.25 was tested, there are already known issues  for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".

I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • 64-bit Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (64-bit): Windows [7 or newer], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7,8,10, Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4]
  • OpenGL 3.3 compatible Graphics Card
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
  • For a faster start, LDPartEditor and the LDraw™ library should be installed on a SSD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

Print this item

Technic hole in part 10247 does not accept parts with snap in LDCad
Posted by: Jaco van der Molen - 2016-09-27, 11:39 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (3)

Hi Roland (and others :-)

Recently I used part 10247 in a model and tried to put a pin in the hole.
[Image: 6045988.jpg]
It did not snap. So it looks like there is no snapping information in the part?
How do I add it or do you have to do that?

There are more parts that have partial snapping, don't snap good or don't have snapping at all.

Print this item

Licenses
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2016-09-26, 14:22 - Forum: MOCs (My Own Creations) - No Replies

What is the best way to add a "Public Domain" or "CC BY-SA" license to a MOC?

I've been adding this for the latter:

Code:
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CC BY-SA version 3.0 : see https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Not sure how to do public domain, though.

Thanks.

Print this item

HTML gallery
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2016-09-26, 6:26 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - No Replies

Is there a tool I can use to generate an HTML gallery of my models? I want to be able to extract author, title, etc. information for each mode, as well as generate a thumbnail image.

What is a good workflow for accomplishing this?

Print this item

Datsville bottom and top layers
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2016-09-24, 21:06 - Forum: MOCs (My Own Creations) - No Replies

Currently, Datsville is split into city blocks. Each block is then split into top and bottom layers. The bottom layer has grass, driveways and other stuff you walk on. The top layer has buildings, trees and other stuff that is above the ground.

I did this because when converting Datsville into 2D video game sprites, you need this separation of layers or else your player character will walk over walls and underneath driveways, for instance.

The problem is that editing the blocks becomes a chore, since you can't edit all the layers at the same time. They are stored in separate files.

Is there an alternate way of using the concept of "layers" that I'm missing? Something in the LDraw specs I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Print this item

LPub3D - Insert Model usage
Posted by: Kevin - 2016-09-23, 8:10 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (2)

Trevor,

Could you explain how the INSERT MODEL command works?  I'm not getting the results I expect when using it twice within a set of instructions that use part fading.  My model has two different attachments, and I'd to include a non-faded image of the entire model with the first attachment and with the second attachment.

It works the way I expect with the first attachment, but when I do the INSERT MODEL with the second attachment (after a BUFFER RETRIEVE), I get the model with the first attachment, not the second.  I've attached the page images to demonstrate the problem.

Here is the model with the first attachment, displaying correctly:

And here is the model with the second attachment, not displaying correctly:

The source .mpd file is attached.  It's the same .mpd as in my previous thread.

Thank you.

Kevin

Attached Files
.mpd   HobermanStand_2.mpd (Size: 165.27 KB / Downloads: 0)
Print this item

LPub3D - Inconsistent PLI counts
Posted by: Kevin - 2016-09-23, 7:57 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (2)

I'm in the final stages of completing instructions for a model, and I've noticed an inconsistency between part counts in submodels and part counts in call-outs where multiple instances are involved.

For submodels, the PLI part counts reflect only one instance of the submodel, even if multiple instances are used in the same step.  The instance count is correct, and it appears that the BOM has the correct total number of parts.

In contrast, the PLI part counts for call-outs include all instances of the call-out in that step.  Again, BOM part counts appear to be correct.

I have attached my .mpd file if you would like to see an example.  Page 10 shows the behavior of a 2-instance submodel with PLI part counts for a single instance.  Page 34 shows the behavior of two 2-instance call-outs where the PLI part counts are for all instances.

Is this the normal function of LPub3D, or do I have an error in my .mpd file?

Please note that this is not new behavior with version 2.0.12.  I see it in the PDFs I generated using previous releases of LPub3D.

Thank you.

Kevin

Attached Files
.mpd   HobermanStand_2.mpd (Size: 165.27 KB / Downloads: 3)
Print this item

Quick reply breaks threading in hybrid view
Posted by: Orion Pobursky - 2016-09-23, 3:21 - Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion - Replies (2)

Quick reply breaks threading in the hybrid view.  How should it behave?  Thoughts?

Print this item

"View This Week's Posts" only goes back 24 hrs
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2016-09-23, 1:19 - Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion - Replies (13)

The "View This Week's Posts" link only goes back as far as 24 hours. We are missing the other 6 days.

Print this item

Lg_Color #40 defs
Posted by: Tom Burger - 2016-09-23, 0:34 - Forum: Rendering Techniques - No Replies

i have been working for years, even back then when i was still rendering under the grapeape name on brickshelf

heres my latest work on one of the hardest colors to get right in my opinion.

// 40
#declare lg_clear_brown = texture {
 // pigment { rgbft <25/255, 24/255, 20/255, .9, .1>
 // /\ darker  10%
// pigment { rgbft <51/255, 49/255, 42/255, .9, .3>
 // /\ darker  20%  

//      pigment { rgbft <53/255, 50/255, 38/255, .9, .3>
 // /\ photo color match  
   pigment { rgbft <99/255, 95/255, 82/255, .9, .85>   
 // /\ original color 39% bright 9/2016
  #if (lg_quality > 1)
   filter 0.8
  #end
 }
 finish { lg_transparent_finish }
}

heres one of my latest renders with the smoke color.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/GrapeA...m3222a.png

Print this item