Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,031
» Latest member: dmjoule
» Forum threads: 5,501
» Forum posts: 47,348

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 665 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 661 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
2024/2025 LDraw.org Steer...
Forum: LDraw.org Announcements
Last Post: Roland Melkert
4 hours ago
» Replies: 39
» Views: 2,186
Studio Connectivity Data
Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers
Last Post: Cam's Bricks
5 hours ago
» Replies: 22
» Views: 7,588
Creator 2023
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Marc Giraudet
6 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 55
2024-03 update will be on...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Steffen
7 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 61
Calculate the individual ...
Forum: Off-Topic
Last Post: Manfred Schaefer
8 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 285
Technic 1982
Last Post: Takeshi Takahashi
10 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 2,412
Part request: 18392pb04 -...
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: Anthony
Yesterday, 8:06
» Replies: 0
» Views: 47
Parts 2310 and 3386 in LP...
Forum: Help Wanted
Last Post: Johann Eisner
2024-04-17, 18:56
» Replies: 1
» Views: 474
Technic 2024
Last Post: MING YING CAI
2024-04-17, 0:47
» Replies: 10
» Views: 10,140
Technic 2023
Last Post: Paweł Turalski
2024-04-15, 19:35
» Replies: 11
» Views: 13,529

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.12 Beta Released
Posted by: Nils Schmidt - 2016-04-30, 14:13 - Forum: Parts Author Tools - Replies (4)

Hi :)

here is LDPartEditor 0.8.12 with the new PartReview tool.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(9 new features and 4 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...

• ...use the new "PartReview" tool. Enter a part name and start a review in no-time!
  • ...use the new "Decolour" function to quickly remove all colours from a file.
  • ...use the new !LPE CSG_TRANSFORM meta command to transform and clone existing CSG bodies.
  • ...use the new !LPE CSG_MESH meta command to convert the following LDraw triangles and quads (type 3 and 4) to a CSG mesh.
  • ...use the new !LPE CSG_EXTRUDE meta command to generate a CSG mesh from the following PathTruder input lines (type 2).
  • ...adjust the rotation center of the view by double clicking on CSG surfaces.
  • ...benefit from better performance of the MeshReducer tool.
  • ...benefit from better performance of "Round" (Text Editor only).
  • ...benefit from better (but slower) CSG triangulation.

The following critical issues were fixed:

1. Mirroring now correctly preserves the surface winding.
  2. The protractor is now drawn without lighting.
  3. A selection conflict with protractors and triangles is resolved.
  4. Issues with "Select All", "Select Same Colour" in combination with CSG are gone.

What will the next release 0.8.13 deliver? An automated way to place rect*.dat primitives, more settings in the options dialog, a cleaner "Add Metadata" GUI layout, ...

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.
Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LDPE 0.8.12 was tested, there are already known issues  for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".
I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >=1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.

Print this item

Confusing Installation for Mac OS (Step 1)
Posted by: Bruce B. Heller - 2016-04-29, 18:14 - Forum: Help - Replies (1)

I've searched the Help forum for answers to no avail. There are either old, dead links, or advice written in computer-speak that I don't understand. I have been over the Getting Started page, but when it comes time to download the parts list, they all seem to be Windows files. Step One on the Getting Started page says to follow the instructions carefully, but I can't even find a page that has detailed instructions. Every link that says it's for Mac users -- even tutorials -- takes me to a page that has only links, downloads and tutorials for Windows users. I feel like I'm in a house of mirrors here.

My primary experience is with LDD, and I've never used a CAD-like program. Please talk to me like I'm a dummy. I have friends who use nothing but LDraw, and insist that it's the superior program for serious builders. I keep intending to graduate to it, but I have yet to get very far before giving up. It would help if I could at least get the thing fully installed and running, cuz then my learning curve could begin in earnest. It seems that this software (or at least the set up) is primarily for Windows users, and for people with significant experience in coding and/or IT. Would someone with patience (and a Mac) please walk me through this (possibly "live" via IM)? Thanks!

Bruce

p.s. I'm running OS X El Capitan, if it matters.

Print this item

8110 Darth Vader Parts
Posted by: Eric Albrecht - 2016-04-27, 23:15 - Forum: Part Requests - Replies (7)

I know this request isn't going to be on top of anyone's priority list, but in my quest to complete my set of Technic models I am now down to only a few.  8010 Darth Vader looks pretty bad with his missing parts.

• 41671 Bionicle Bohrok Windscreen 4 x 5 x 7 (at least this might be useful to some other people)
  • 43363 Technic Darth Vader Helmet (only appears in this set)
  • cape (virtually impossible to make)
Anyone up for a challenge?

Print this item

Any good LDraw viewer for Ubuntu 16.04?
Posted by: Patricia Moya Nosquera - 2016-04-27, 17:29 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (19)

LDView doesn't run in new Ubuntu 16.04, is there an alternative viewer or a tick for install LDView?

Print this item

Redirect old forum URLs to new format
Posted by: Brian - 2016-04-26, 9:00 - Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion - Replies (1)

It looks like search engines are sending people to the old forum URLs.

Here is an example. This is now a 404 error:
http://forums.ldraw.org/read.php?20,16260,18104

It should redirect to here:
http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16260-pos...l#pid18104

On apache servers this can be accomplished with mod_rewrite and an htaccess file. The rewrite syntax can capture the old numbers and "rewrite" the URL into the new format. Additionally, the rewrite can serve a 301 response, which tells search engines the resource is at the new location permanently.

Print this item

I can not find the Speed Champion tires and rims
Posted by: FINN ANDERS - 2016-04-25, 1:36 - Forum: Help - Replies (4)

Hello,
I can not find the LEGO Speed Champions rims and wheels. Are they not there?
I found the part numbers right below and right above but not the actual ones.

I would appreciate it if someone could answer because I made a car that uses them.

FINN

Print this item

Help With Debugging Part
Posted by: Tanner S. - 2016-04-24, 19:56 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (17)

I'm not sure how long ago it was that I used the LDPattern Creator software to draw out the patterns for the Astro Torso from the Mars Mission theme. I managed to finish it, and somehow attach it to the default torso object. Somehow I got it to open in an .mpd file using Leocad, but now I cannot copy it into the file I need it in. When I try, it appears as the default stud-less rectangular prism. I'd like to be able to copy it into the file at least, and maybe even put it into my parts library, bu I am unskilled at these things.

Is there anyone who would be willing to look at the part to see what might be wrong with it?

Print this item

PovRay and ldraw frustration
Posted by: Christian Treczoks - 2016-04-24, 19:14 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (12)

I don't usually start like this on a forum I'm new to, but the whole stuff is totally frustrating, and I need to vent off some steam. Nonetheless, these are (imho) legal complains about something that should be an out-of-the-box success instead of a chain of failures and frustrations.

I'm really a beginner with all this digital building stuff, but I've learned that ldraw & co can be frustrating to no end.

I started with the all-in-one-installer to create building instructions. I got a lot of help and could get the basics up and running with MLCad (which I had used before to create the models) and LPub3D within a few days. But then it got frustrating. LPub3D produced really, really bad (I'm tempted to say shitty) output. Even when I set the DPI to 600 (and cleared the caches), the PDF was horribly blocky. I finally fixed that by upgrading the provided LPub3D to a more current version. Why does the current all-in-one-installer provide outdated, buggy software?

But even with the updated version, the rendering with LDGLite still just crashes when rendering the model, and I never got the PovRay rendering to work, even after hunting for obscure lg_colors and lg_materials files. The only change I got was that instead of staying open and presenting obscure error messages, it now opens and closes povray without producing anything. It still seems to produce an error of some sorts, but it immediately closes the window, so I cannot tell what the problem is, and the stdout_povray and stderr_povray files are empty.

Hunting for the LGEO library (e.g. to look for updates or to find thoses mysterious lg_colors and lg_materials) files only leads to dead ends - looks like el lutzo closed up shop with his website. Why are those mysterious files (and whatever else may be needed for rendering with PovRay) not part of the all-in-one-installer? I finally found those two files somewhere on sourceforge in another projects archive, but I have absolutely no idea if those are the right ones.

Those rendering problems lead to the idea to use L3P and the L3PAddon to attempt a rendering of the model with PovRay. Sorry, but that was a total failure. The program wants to know the location of some files (which cannot be found within the installation, ldraw files, or program installation directories) and a strange tool (ledit.exe, according to google this is a electric circuit/layout program!?!) that it cannot run at all without.

Maybe this all works for some people who have installed numerous updates over time, have some old files still hanging around from 20 versions ago that some current programs still need, but no installer provides, or have tweaked their system over time to cover some of the problems I found. But it just does not work on a freshly installed system.

Please, take a fresh machine, install the AIOI, and try those things yourself if you don't believe me.

At least, with the updated LPub3D i get a decent PDF with the LDView renderer.

But the program is still buggy on many aspects. E.g. all measurements are in inches, even if the default unit is cm. A A4 page is 29.7 by 21.0 cm, not 11.6929 by 8.2677 (without any unit given, but it looks like inches) in Configuration->Page Setup.

If there is anything I can do to help debugging this whole mess, ask me, and I'll try my best. If a developer needs my mpd files to fix his software, no problem, just ask, and you will be given. But working with a software suite where the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing is utterly frustrating.

Leg bedre,
Christian

Print this item

6656 Tow Truck
Posted by: Daniel Hoffmann - 2016-04-24, 17:03 - Forum: Official Models - No Replies

My first file, i hope everything is right....

Attached Files
.mpd   6656 - Tow Truck.mpd (Size: 2.29 KB / Downloads: 18)
Print this item

ROTSTEP questions
Posted by: Roland Melkert - 2016-04-21, 22:37 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (15)

Hello all, I've been working on ROTSTEP support for LDCad 1.6 but I have some questions regarding the spec / general behavior of these meta's.

First what is the base orientation (the one for step 1) to be used while calculating the step's orientation using the REL option.

I've been using this:

Second is it correct to assume the "ROTSTEP 0 0 0 ABS" will turn out an upside down image (as LDraw is y negative orientated).

.png   abs.png (Size: 39.31 KB / Downloads: 161)

And then there is the REL option should it act like so when rotating an already rotated model using the x axis only.

Hope these issues are clear so experienced rotstep users can help me refine the feature.

Also if someone could donate an (semi) large model using lots of rotstep metas with an known expected output would be very useful.

Print this item