Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,056
» Latest member: de Jong
» Forum threads: 5,510
» Forum posts: 47,396

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 776 online users.
» 1 Member(s) | 770 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex, Basil Bader

Latest Threads
Super Heroes sets
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Willy Tschager
1 hour ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 3,293
Set 10270 Bookshop
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: Vincent Messenet
2 hours ago
» Views: 3,067
Parts for Beekeeper Minif...
Last Post: Jason Osicki
11 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 103
2024-03 update will be on...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
Yesterday, 11:55
» Views: 288
LDraw vitual meeting (Liv...
Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion
Last Post: Nils Schmidt
2024-04-24, 21:03
» Replies: 6
» Views: 298
Technic 1982
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Takeshi Takahashi
2024-04-24, 15:49
» Replies: 14
» Views: 3,507
2024/2025 LDraw.org Steer...
Forum: LDraw.org Announcements
Last Post: Max Martin Richter
2024-04-23, 18:40
» Replies: 0
» Views: 351
Request for 102735
Last Post: Stephan den Ridder
2024-04-23, 4:56
» Views: 208
Wedgy-Slopes from '24 Spe...
Last Post: Ryan Hicks
2024-04-23, 0:12
» Replies: 4
» Views: 158
WeDo 2.0 electronics
Last Post: Philippe Hurbain
2024-04-22, 18:39
» Replies: 22
» Views: 35,590

[LDPartEditor] 0.8.39 Beta Released (Shear Matrices / Edge Selection)
Posted by: Nils Schmidt - 2017-12-29, 11:05 - Forum: Parts Author Tools - Replies (17)

Hi,

I wanted to release this version in 2018, but I completed it earlier... why should I wait? Wink

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(6 new features and 7 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...

• ...use a SlantingMatrixProjector tool to generate shear matrices.
  • ...save all your user settings in a file, and restore it when you want to (screenshot).
  • ...restore your 3D view settings when you completed a PartReview.
  • ...use ALT + UP/DOWN to move a line up and down in the text editor.
  • ...see a progress bar when downloading files from the PT for PartReview.
  • ...set the coplanarity threshold (Tools... -> Options...).

The following critical issues were fixed:

1. Colour palette: The window was sometimes not wide enough.
  2. Sometimes long edges were hard to select until both vertices were visible.
  3. The logger did not detect errors while loading the workbench.
  4. An edge, or condline was selectable through a surface, even if it was hidden behind that surface.
  5. Ytruder generated triangles when it should generate quads.
  6. "Save As..." created a wrong part type (Flexible_Section).
  7. Divide by zero during Catmull-Clark subdivision

What will the next release 0.8.40 deliver? More features for subfile manipulation / bug-fixes.

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 140.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.
Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, this version was tested, there are already known issues  for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".
I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • 64-bit Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (64-bit): Windows [7 or newer], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7,8,10, Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • OpenGL 3.3 compatible Graphics Card
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
  • For a faster start, LDPartEditor and the LDraw™ library should be installed on an SSD.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

Print this item

Tile with C-Clip - Part 15712 - Thickness
Posted by: Gerald Lasser - 2017-12-28, 22:00 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (4)

I just stumbled across this when working on the new bull-bar (35654)

The Tile of part 15712 is 0,5 LDU thinner than the Tile of part 12825.

Did anybody notice this yet? Could not find anything through the search.

Print this item

James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2017 awarded to Chris Dee
Posted by: Willy Tschager - 2017-12-27, 16:09 - Forum: LDraw.org Announcements - Replies (12)

The LDraw.org Steering Committee is pleased to announce that the 2017 James Jessiman Memorial Award (JJMA) recipient is LDraw Parts Library Administrator Chris Dee.

There was no discussion over the recipient for the this year's James Jessiman Memorial Award and the SteerCo reached consensus immediately.
Chris discovered LDraw in 1997 or 1998 after abandoning a similar project to build a LEGO parts library in PostScript. The initial motivation was to create replacement instructions for second-hand sets he had acquired, and to produce instructions for the alternative models - this was in the days before the existence of internet resources like PICSL and its predecessors. Frustrated at the very first hurdle by the omission of part 4080 (Tipper Bucket 4 x 6) he set about authoring it and was amazed to see it released in the 1998-03 update. More parts followed, and circumstances found Chris concentrating on the patterned minifig torsos, which had largely been overlooked at that time. The intellectual challenge of part authoring and the then lack of functionally rich model creation tools (like MLCad) overtook the instruction creation idea. He soon installed Steve Bliss' LDraw Add-On program (LDAO) and with L3Lab as a renderer found an efficient toolset for part authoring - a combination he still favours today. Appointment as the a second LDraw Library Admin followed in 2003.
Beside the regular library updates Chris had the enormous task to standardises the headers of more than 3300 files with the primary purpose of aligning the library with the Contributor Agreement back in 2008.

More information on the JJMA can be found at: http://www.ldraw.org/article/222.html

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee

Print this item

Garage door 822
Posted by: Magnus Forsberg - 2017-12-27, 14:26 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (1)

I've been reworking the vintage garage door 822 and 823. There have already been one prior atempt to do this, but it wasn't going all the way and in my view, not correct. Using subfiles to create a two coloured assembly.

Here is my suggestion:

However, I have some questions to the allknowing community.

• I want to renumber some of the existing subfiles. OK?
  • Should I "hide" all the Doors and Counterweights using a tilde, ~ in the beginning of their descriptions?
  • I want to use the Move to-files and give the new assemblies a better origin, in the rotation point of the hinges. OK?
  • Does my door 822c.dat exist in real life? I can't find any pictures of it.
  • What type of door is used in the assembly using the Counterweights with Dual Pins? With or without a rear cross?
  • Is it correct that Bricklink part BB300 is used on both sides in some parts? I think it isn't. I think I can see left/right sided versions, without hingepin, in these assemblies.
  • Bricklink seems to suggest an all solid part, 823cl, but its not placed in any set number. Does it exist?
link to Bricklink

Print this item

Looking for part
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2017-12-27, 3:39 - Forum: Parts Author Tools - Replies (6)

Is there a stud that is sort of the inverse of 87087.dat "Brick 1 x 1 with stud on 1 side"? I.e. a stud that has a socket instead of a stud, but in the same location? Brick 1 x 2 or Brick 1 x 4 versions would be okay too.

Thanks.

Print this item

Operating on multiple parts
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2017-12-27, 2:38 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (5)

Is it possible to apply the same rotations on more than one part at the same time? E.g. rotate each part around the y axis by 90 degrees for instance, but not around a common center but around each part locally. Can this be done in MLCAD?

Print this item

Novice question
Posted by: Jarema - 2017-12-26, 11:23 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (6)

Hi,
i started learn LPUB3D. I have request to advanced users. Can you spare your time to make LDraw file after import to LPUB3D look so much close as instruction in attachment ?

Best wishes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.dat   car.dat (Size: 2.93 KB / Downloads: 3)
Print this item

Midak Skyblaster
Posted by: Santeri Piippo - 2017-12-26, 10:31 - Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion - Replies (10)

I've finally decided to tackle this bad boy for real. I'm posting this thread in part to post progress on the part and in part to ask for numbers. I generally get the numbers provided on a silver platter, but this is not the case.

So far, the housing is coming up and the trigger has been modeled.

The part is an assembly of 5 parts:

• the black housing, this has the number 60932 imprinted
  • the silver magazine, this has the number 60931 imprinted
  • the silver trigger, number unknown, model 100% complete
  • the spring, number unknown
  • the red circular gizmo that supports the balls against the spring, number unknown
According to Brickset, the design ID of the assembly is 62233. Can someone try to find out what the rest of the numbers are, please?

I was thinking of providing the following shortcuts:
  • 62233-f1.dat, with the spring relaxed
  • 62233-f2.dat, with the spring contracted
  • 62233c01.dat, shortcut with 62233-f2.dat with 4 balls.

I also found out that just a ruler doesn't cut it anymore, so I finally got myself a caliper...

Print this item

Merry Christmas
Posted by: Orion Pobursky - 2017-12-25, 6:43 - Forum: Off-Topic - Replies (2)

After a crazy end of 2016 and the rest of 2017 I have a lot to be thankful for. Bear with me, my free time is starting to increase and I have many plans in store for the website. Thank you for bringing positivity every day and making my job easy. Here’s wishing everyone in the LDraw community a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah and a very Happy New Year.

Print this item

Using LDCad
Posted by: Michael Horvath - 2017-12-24, 8:14 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (53)

Couple of questions about LDCad.

* How do I add a part or submodel that is located in the same directory (or some arbitrary directory) as the model I am working on? I can't figure out which menu option does this. Thanks.
* How do I bandbox select multiple parts in a model using the mouse?
* How do I select a part using the mouse if the part has no triangles or quads, and only edge lines?

Print this item