Tile 1x1 Round

Tile 1x1 Round
I'm sure I missed some sort of relevant discussion but why are the top edges rounded on the 1x1 round tile but nowhere else? It seems to me that these edges should be sharp just like every other part.
RE: Tile 1x1 Round
(2019-06-15, 0:37)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm sure I missed some sort of relevant discussion but why are the top edges rounded on the 1x1 round tile but nowhere else? It seems to me that these edges should be sharp just like every other part.

The first version was uploaded with sharp edges. We decided to round the edges as these are much more rounded at this tile than on any other tile.

Just put a real 2 x 2 round tile and 1 x 1 round tile next to each other and compare.
(2019-06-15, 7:29)Max Martin Richter Wrote: The first version was uploaded with sharp edges. We decided to round the edges as these are much more rounded at this tile than on any other tile.

Just put a real 2 x 2 round tile and 1 x 1 round tile next to each other and compare.

I'm going to have to say that you're wrong about that. To the the best of my ability to discern, the edges have exactly the same bevel on the 1x1 as on the 2x2 (along with a number of others):

[Image: eRc1XHM.jpg]

Furthermore, even if they aren't exactly the same, they are certainly extremely close. Of course, the apparent size of the bevel is higher on the 1x1 tile due to the fact that you have to zoom in by a factor of 2 for it to have the same size top surface. But I don't think that should be a consideration in LDraw parts.
(2019-06-15, 7:29)Max Martin Richter Wrote: The first version was uploaded with sharp edges. We decided to round the edges as these are much more rounded at this tile than on any other tile.

I'm sorry Max, but the first version was made with a larger radius, 1 ldu (left).
When I made the half-round tile, 24246, it was decided that it should have a transition from a sharp to a smoother, rounded edge.
At the same time the 1x1 round tile was changed to have a 0.5 ldu radius (right).
The chamfered version in the middle was rejected.

[Image: softer_98138.png]
(2019-06-15, 21:41)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I'm sorry Max, but the first version was made with a larger radius, 1 ldu (left).
When I made the half-round tile, 24246, it was decided that it should have a transition from a sharp to a smoother, rounded edge.
At the same time the 1x1 round tile was changed to have a 0.5 ldu radius (right).
The chamfered version in the middle was rejected.

[Image: softer_98138.png]

For the more part, we don't round the edges of studs or other round, flat surfaces. I don't think we should here either.
(2019-06-15, 21:58)Orion Pobursky Wrote: For the more part, we don't round the edges of studs or other round, flat surfaces. I don't think we should here either.

I agree. I don't see how this part is any different from any of the other round parts; as my photo hopefully shows, the size of the bevel is pretty much the same on all of them. The only difference is that when you zoom in to have it appear a given size on-screen, it's more obvious. However, I don't think LDraw parts should be designed based on how they will appear when they take up a set number of pixels, but instead based on the size of the real-life geometry. And in real life, this bevel is extremely small.
How is this beautification different from the recent changes added to 54200 and 85984?
I also wondered about that change.

We should either beautify all parts similarly or none, but not just some IMHO.
(2019-06-16, 8:33)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: How is this beautification different from the recent changes added to 54200 and 85984?
The bevel radius is much larger, 2.5ldu. Quite noticeable.
I agree with Orion and Travis.

In the photo, I can see no difference in "smoothness" between the 1x1 and 2x2 round.

I think currently we have an inconsistency in this matter in the library which we should resolve in this or the other way.

Either make all parts "smoother" that are,
or remove the "extra smoothness" from the few selected ones that currently received that overhaul.
(2019-06-16, 9:03)Steffen Wrote: I agree with Orion and Travis.

remove the "extra smoothness" from the few selected ones that currently received that overhaul.

+1

IMHO the bevel of the current 1x1 round tile is too much.
Woul adjusting this affect the patterned 1x1 round tiles?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-17, 10:17)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: +1

IMHO the bevel of the current 1x1 round tile is too much.
Woul adjusting this affect the patterned 1x1 round tiles?

No, we just need to adjust the subpart. This will nonetheless cost a ring, not really needed otherwise.
I also favor the simpler sharp edge.
(2019-06-17, 10:36)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: No, we just need to adjust the subpart. This will nonetheless cost a ring, not really needed otherwise.
I also favor the simpler sharp edge.

This is my part/error. I'll do all the needed changes later today. This is not the first time I have to change it.
my heart says "no" to the removal of the rounded edge, as it simply looks good, but I think the more pragmatic decision it do do it away.
It greatly reduces surfaces to render.

May be we need to cut one in half to compare the radii better.

Concerning the patterns, I would keep the patternable area with a 9 LDU radius as it is now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »