Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,465
» Latest member: Brendan Manke
» Forum threads: 5,680
» Forum posts: 48,565

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 254 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 247 Guest(s)
Applebot, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex, Eugen

Latest Threads
LeoCad M1 Support
Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion
Last Post: Eugen
10 minutes ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,789
LDView 4.5 Released
Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
1 hour ago
» Replies: 32
» Views: 8,395
Technic 2024
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: MING YING CAI
1 hour ago
» Replies: 26
» Views: 16,308
Flag 2 x 2 with Blue and ...
Forum: Parts Authoring
Last Post: Magnus Forsberg
4 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 107
Looking for a simple (fre...
Forum: Off-Topic
Yesterday, 6:04
» Replies: 5
» Views: 11,734
FreeStyle 1995-1998
Yesterday, 4:51
» Replies: 5
» Views: 169
Datsville
Forum: MOCs (My Own Creations)
Yesterday, 2:35
» Replies: 54
» Views: 94,022
Milky Way Magic Chest 199...
2024-10-05, 23:52
» Replies: 2
» Views: 156
New moulds with hollow st...
Last Post: Rene Rechthaler
2024-10-05, 13:14
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6,861
Plug34.dat and related pa...
Last Post: Magnus Forsberg
2024-10-05, 7:34
» Replies: 23
» Views: 6,328

Re: 12v trains
Posted by: Koos Jan - 2012-02-19, 22:18 - Forum: Part Requests - Replies (6)

Hello, My request is as follows.....

I am working on some renders of old 12v trains from the 1980's and it would be great if I could include the transformer as well.
I'd be very glad if someone can make part 7864 in ldraw.

Koos Jan

Print this item

Description line for Physical Colour Part files
Posted by: Chris Dee - 2012-02-19, 18:27 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (2)

The current convention for titling Physical Colour files is to append the colour name to base part's description. However, I have not been very consistent in enforcing one colour naming dialect, some of which have changed over time. Also the length limitation often requires some contraction of the base part description or the colour name which adds to the confusion:

Code:
9359   = "_Brick  1 x  6 w/out Centre Studs with "TAXI" Pat. Trans Green"
3067p11 = "Brick  1 x  6 w/out Centre Studs w/ White Sans-serif "TAXI" Pat."

Would it help to define some syntax to show the colour code, which would at most require six characters e.g.
Code:
4211814 = "_Hinge Plate  1 x  2 Locking with 1 Finger On Side Vertical [71]"
or codify the colour some other way within the header syntax?

Print this item

Should "Part Alias" files be listed in parts.lst
Posted by: Chris Dee - 2012-02-18, 21:49 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (55)

Currently "Part Alias" files do not have any leading "_" in their descriptions, so are listed as duplicates in parts.lst. This class of files includes duplicate LEGO numbers for part re-issue (e.g. 44237 for 2456) or transparent part moulds (30065 for 3960). We are also starting to get LEGO numbers for patterned parts, which I have treating simlarly, continuing to use NNNNpXX numbers to "tie" the patterned parts to the un-decorated versionand creating an alias for the true number.

I thinking that from a user's perspective these "Part Alias" files are not that different to "Physical Colour" files which are hidden by the use of a leading "_". They are both in the library so that if someone wants to insert a part by number, then the file is found, but do we really need the same description twice in the parts list, and the image twice in the visual parts catalogue?

There are currently 64 official "Part Alias" files and the descriptions could be changed in the background without re-cycling through the Parts Tracker.

What do people think?

Print this item

Slope 45 2x2 with Spyrius Droid Image (3039px32)
Posted by: Philip Peickert - 2012-02-14, 5:23 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (19)

Ok, so this is my first attempt at parts authoring. I used LDraw Pattern Creator and only had access to a really crappy scan of the part (I am in the process of getting the part in question and will do a better more detailed scan then). I know I have some scale/sizing issues and I haven't figured out how to precisely fit the pattern onto the slope brick. Would you guys mind pointing out a the things I've done wrong or how I can redo the part to make it work better. I don't think it's anywhere close to being ready to put up for verification, but then again I'm not really sure. I've tried to follow the online guides as best I could, but I still managed to confuse myself. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Phil Peickert

Attached Files
.dat   Slope 45 2x2 with Spyrius Droid Image (3039px32).dat (Size: 123.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
Print this item

LDView & MLCAD share Parts List?
Posted by: Julian Schneider - 2012-02-13, 15:19 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (6)

Hello Smile
As I'm new to this topic, i hope my questions aren't that stupid or obvious, but i did not find anything so far.
I used LDD to create a Model of my NXT device and now want it to open wit LDView and MLCad. I used the export function of LDD and opened it with LDView. As soon as I did that he started downloading parts ("trying do download part xy....") and rendered it almost perfect, with only one part missing.
But as I started MLCad he show some errors of missing parts, and some of the main parts where missing in the model (such as motor and sensors). I already used the "Search new Parts" button and tried to search the missing part files via windows search, no results.
No I'm wondering where and how LDview saves the Parts it has downloaded beforehand, they are oviously saved because it doesnt download them again when I open the next time. I know there is the unofficial parts list but im just confused by this behaviour and dont want to bring in files i obviously already have Smile
Anyone got an idea?
Thanks in Advance
Julian Schneider

Print this item

60601/60602 glass & 60592/60593 windows
Posted by: Greg Teft - 2012-02-10, 23:02 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (8)

@Philo - Sorry for repeating the same mistake, the certified 60601 looked thinner than the previous 60602, which seemed OK with 60592 (attached).
I'll dig out the windows from 10214 this weekend and check the proportions of the material thickness.

Attached Files
.ldr   10214-1 - 60592c01.ldr (Size: 343 bytes / Downloads: 1)
Print this item

Noob Question: What programs do you use?
Posted by: Philip Peickert - 2012-02-10, 15:16 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (1)

Hello all. My name is Phil Peickert and I have been toying with MLCad off and on for years, and recently decided to make a hobby out of it. My favorite theme is Spyrius, and like Jude, I am interested in seeing the following parts added to the library:

3626bpx193 Minifig Head with Blue Headband, Red Hair and Eyebrows Pattern
3626bpx252 Minifig Head with Moustache Thin, Stubble and Sideburns Pattern
2446px14 Minifig Accessory Helmet Modern with Silver and Blue Vents Pattern
3039px32 Slope Brick 45 2 x 2 with Yellow Droid Outline on Screen Pattern
4346px15 Container Box 2 x 2 x 2 Door with Slot and Spyrius Pattern

To that end, I have begun experimenting with creating simple parts in MLCad and working my way up to being able to create more complex parts so that eventually I can try my hand at creating the above items myself and then having them vetted by the community. This brings me to my actual question. After much google searching and forum scanning, it seems that a lot of information on parts authoring is out of date. My question is what programs do you as experienced parts authors prefer for use on a Windows 7 (64 bit) platform?

Since most of these parts are detail intensive, I thought based on the online information I've found that Quad2dat would be the preferred method of starting, but I have seen that the program's website is no more. I have looked at LDPattern, LDraw Pattern Creator and Sticker Generator but wasn't sure which one would actually work better.

I appreciate any insight you might have. Thank you.

Print this item

Want to work on the LEGO Feature Film?
Posted by: AnimalLogic - 2012-02-09, 7:15 - Forum: Off-Topic - No Replies

Animal Logic produces award-winning design, animation and visual effects for the film, television and advertising industries.

We are currently looking for a Lead Modeller to work on our LEGO feature film, who is available in early 2012.

You will be working closely with a variety of departments; including R&D, Art, Rigging and Surfacing.

The following skill and experience will be highly regarded:

• 5 years experience on feature films and/or feature animation.
• Experience with managing and training a team.
• Ability to translate approved 3D sculptural form or concept art into production ready geometry.
• Experience with large and complex CG environments.
• Interest in 'set dressing'.
• Interest in pipeline and process.
• Strong experience with photo realistic and hard surfacing modelling.
• Technically aware of the requirements of rigging.
• Experience working collaboratively with the Art Department.
• A good understanding of the needs of surfacing and an ability to provide good UV layouts of your models.
• Ability to follow a brief and produce complex models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form.
• Production experience using Maya, Z Brush and/or Mudbox.
• Experience with other software such as 3D coat, Speedtree and Vue would be an advantage.
• A strong understanding of the topological requirements of subdivision surface for both static and deforming models.
• An understanding of proper line flow and polygon density.
• Ability to provide topology and turntables examples.

The following is required by all candidates:
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work to deadlines.
• Strong technical and visual skills.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
• Ability to work well with other in a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members.

If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our on line application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com

Print this item

quick shoulder/hip accessory origins question
Posted by: Greg Teft - 2012-02-09, 3:37 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (2)

Noticed a comment on 61190b (clone trooper pauldron) that the origin should be at the 'shoulders'.
How about 61190c (clone trooper tasset) should the origin be a the top of the hips, in lieu of the top of the part?
Off hand, I don't know of any other accessories for between the hips and torso to check for comparison.
I wanted to check before I uploaded corrections so far (including the !HELP - top plastic is only 1 LDU thick - DOH! >_<).

Print this item

10214 Tower Bridge
Posted by: Greg Teft - 2012-02-09, 2:06 - Forum: Official Models - Replies (10)

The Tower Bridge.
I'm not sure if compliant for the OMR with all the sub-assemblies, but I can't see how to do something this big without sub-assemblies.
The 2 x 3 window glass was noted as too thick on tracker, so this includes an edit of the 2 x 2 window glass.

The sketch I did to calculate the angles using arc length and a couple of other tricks for the 'cables' at anglesForCables10214.JPG

[Image: 10214-1%20-%20Tower%20Bridge.png][Image: 10214-1%20-%20Tower%20Bridge1.png]

Print this item