Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 4,167
» Latest member: NicolasCarlier
» Forum threads: 5,577
» Forum posts: 47,885

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 223 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 217 Guest(s)
Applebot, Baidu, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
Designer Sets
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Marc Giraudet
Yesterday, 20:35
» Replies: 5
» Views: 5,820
Technic 1984
Last Post: Takeshi Takahashi
Yesterday, 15:10
» Replies: 11
» Views: 10,107
Parts request: Printed pi...
Forum: Part Requests
Last Post: Kuipers
Yesterday, 13:43
» Replies: 0
» Views: 41
Architecture Theme
Last Post: Marc Giraudet
2024-06-15, 13:59
» Replies: 174
» Views: 300,852
Part Snapping missing/err...
Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers
Last Post: Roland Melkert
2024-06-14, 21:24
» Replies: 224
» Views: 113,269
LPUB3D cannot export html...
Forum: Help
Last Post: linghank
2024-06-14, 8:28
» Replies: 0
» Views: 64
[LDPE] 1.8.79 Released (i...
Forum: Parts Author Tools
Last Post: Nils Schmidt
2024-06-12, 19:22
» Replies: 3
» Views: 409
New color: Fabric_Cream
Forum: Official File Specifications/Standards
Last Post: Willy Tschager
2024-06-12, 16:40
» Replies: 2
» Views: 107
Western
Last Post: Willy Tschager
2024-06-12, 16:04
» Replies: 25
» Views: 34,058
[LDPatternCreator] Releas...
Forum: Parts Author Tools
Last Post: Magnus Forsberg
2024-06-11, 20:18
» Replies: 8
» Views: 440

123D Catch
Posted by: Travis Cobbs - 2012-05-15, 20:16 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (2)

I noticed this (free, at least at the moment) photo-based 3D scanner from Autodesk:

http://www.123dapp.com/catch

I wonder if it's accurate enough to use for part creation, and, if so, if there's any way to get from its file format into LDraw format.

Print this item

Thumbs Up 30367b, Brick, Round 2 x 2 Dome Top
Posted by: Daniel Goerner - 2012-05-15, 15:14 - Forum: Part Requests - Replies (4)

These 2 parts are missing:

30367b Brick, Round 2 x 2 Dome Top - Blocked Open Stud with Bottom Axle Holder x Shape + Orientation
30367c Brick, Round 2 x 2 Dome Top - Hollow Stud with Bottom Axle Holder x Shape + Orientation

I don't need c right now, but if someone works on b it should be easy to make c as well.
Also the patternable top face needs to go down until directly over the studs. The new R2 patterns go down that far, and the new ones all use 30367b, so no need to rework the top face of 30367.dat. Also we should rename 30367 to 30367a like we did with the cylinder 2 x 2 x 2.

Print this item

Thumbs Up The Ship in 7994, 57789c01
Posted by: Tobias Persson - 2012-05-14, 19:33 - Forum: Part Requests - No Replies

Boat Hull Unitary 74 x 18 x 7 Complete Assembly with Light Bluish Gray Top

Item no: 57789c01

Thanks

Print this item

New LDraw.org website
Posted by: Orion Pobursky - 2012-05-13, 18:32 - Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion - Replies (7)

I want to go live with the new LDraw.org website soon. I can't get rid of the old site since the PT still relies on it but I want to elicit thoughts on what main features should be in place before the switchover.

Print this item

parts.lst: what currently maintained programs use it?
Posted by: Orion Pobursky - 2012-05-13, 18:29 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (16)

Since Tim Gould has been working on revising mklist, I'm curious what modern LDraw programs actually rely on mklist. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is MLCad.

Print this item

Wheel+Tyre Shortcuts: to have or not to have?
Posted by: Steffen - 2012-05-13, 10:29 - Forum: Parts Authoring - Replies (16)

I have just recently added some Wheel+Tyre Assembly Shortcuts to the PT.

http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...482c01.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...482c02.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...996c01.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...695c01.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...245c02.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...715c01.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...039c01.dat
and
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cg...27ac01.dat
, which has sparked this discussion:

Magnus questions if having these makes sense.

I'd like to answer that question with my reasoning here.

The reason behind creating these shortcuts was that when building models,
I again and again found myself in 2 actions:

(a) searching the matching tyre for a wheel (because in MLCad all parts get scaled in the parts library preview, so all wheels and tyres look the same size)

(b) after I had found them, I to each model added a "wheel+tyre" assembly submodel

After having done this some times, I was asking myself why the assembly of (b)
was not part of the library.
Of course, the answer is: avoid clutter. As some wheels can carry different tyres, a combinatoric explosion
might occur. This prevented me some time from creating these shortcuts.
I then discovered that e.g. SR3DBuilder contains a separate database for this purpose: "TireManager.txt" (see attachment).
It is a simple text file which lists wheels plus their matching tyres.
When I saw that, I felt reminded of the discussion about 2 other things:
(i) alias part numbers
(ii) physical color shortcuts
There, the discussion was just the same: should we track this data somewhere?
The discussion about these 2 mainly went like this at those times:
First, an agreement was achieved that this information is quite valuable and needs to be stored somewhere.
The initial idea then was to have a separate database.
It then turned out that that separate database was nothing else than simple redirections
of part number to other part numbers, or of part numbers plus a certain color to other part numbers.
Then the question arose why we would create all the effort to maintain tooling etc. for a separate database,
when the existing mechanisms (i.e., LDRAW lines of type "1", part usage) would do everything we need.
Voila, a prefix was added to easily distinguish these files, and later, even an !LDRAW_ORG header type was added
(which I consider even better), and that was it. I find this solution very elegant, as it is self-contained and does
not add a secondary database.
When I remembered that, I felt that at least for the "usual" wheel+tyre assemblies, i.e., such that occur
in official LEGO models, we should have these shortcuts, basically for the same reasoning:
there is only a limited number of combinations possible, and that number is not too high:
SR3DBuilder's text file for example currently counts 165 such combinations.
Another disadvantage of that file is that it only lists matching part numbers, but it does not carry
information about the offset and orientation, and the color of the tyre. In fact, that text file is a stripped-down
instance of an LDRAW line type "1" (part usage), but without positioning, matrix and coloring element.
I felt that being a loss, and a step backward behind what our library already can do.
And I felt that these combinations should not be a private detail of tool SR3DBuilder, but of the library itself.
I cannot really see the "clutter" argument, as the number of these assemblies will be small, compared
to the plenty of physical color shortcut files we already have.

To make a long story short:
I would very much like to have these shortcuts in our library, at least for the wheel+tyre combinations
that occured in official LEGO models.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Attached Files
.txt   TireManager text file, taken from SR3DBuilder 0.6.0.8.txt (Size: 3.29 KB / Downloads: 0)
Print this item

HELP Please: Using the L-draw to Object Converter
Posted by: Andreas Sizynski - 2012-05-13, 2:28 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (1)

I downloaded and installed the L-draw to Obj converter tool, opened it, and selected the l-draw file (exported by Lego Digital Designer).

I selected the l-draw file, set the path I wanted to export it as an object to and clicked convert.

However, an LdrDat2Dxf error came up saying:

Quote:Im sorry but I looked for 3005.dat At library pats directories, then at directories of both Import file and export directories. ()

Please help; what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Print this item

DATHeader 3.0.9.1
Posted by: Michael Heidemann - 2012-05-12, 10:14 - Forum: Parts Author Tools - Replies (27)

I just release version 3.0.9.1 of DATHeader.
This is only a bugfix version that should have been uploaded much, much earlier.

Please leave all comments for this version as response to this topic.

Have fun.
Download from DATHeader Webside
cu
mikeheide

Print this item

Part Request Forum Created
Posted by: Orion Pobursky - 2012-05-12, 2:21 - Forum: LDraw.org Announcements - Replies (3)

The tread list in the old parts request topic was getting way too big. I've created a now Part Request forum while Chris Dee works on a parts requestor system. I moved the old part request thread there and split it based on the top level threads in the tree.

Print this item

Lsynthed elements not working in Lpub
Posted by: Jono - 2012-05-12, 0:17 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (5)

G'day, I'm new to doing instructions, Ive made the truck and it shows correctly in Mlcad with all the parts synthised. However when i open up LPub it does not show the nxt cables, the rubber band and the segments for the 8.5 flexible hose (in the parts box) can any one help with what to do to get these to show in LPub. They show with povray also when you use ldlite as the preferred renderer it still does not work. I've attached what has been done so far so please dont download for your own use. It will be free access to everyone once its finished through here and moc pages.Cheers jono

Attached Files
.ldr   5580 RC.ldr (Size: 151.08 KB / Downloads: 0)
Print this item