Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 12,495
» Latest member: Richard B
» Forum threads: 5,481
» Forum posts: 47,185

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 531 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 525 Guest(s)
Applebot, Baidu, Bing, Facebook, Google, Yandex

Latest Threads
Welcome to new parts auth...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Willy Tschager
Yesterday, 8:12
» Replies: 5
» Views: 428
Plug34.dat and related pa...
Forum: Parts Authoring
Last Post: Javier Orquera
2024-03-27, 21:09
» Replies: 10
» Views: 3,028
Technic 1982
Forum: Official Models
Last Post: Takeshi Takahashi
2024-03-27, 16:09
» Replies: 1
» Views: 496
Official Part Fix Submiss...
Forum: Parts Tracker Discussion
Last Post: Orion Pobursky
2024-03-27, 4:35
» Replies: 6
» Views: 268
[LDPE] 1.8.77 Released (a...
Forum: Parts Author Tools
Last Post: Philippe Hurbain
2024-03-26, 19:53
» Replies: 1
» Views: 108
LDRAW Wiki Logo broken
Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion
Last Post: Steffen
2024-03-26, 15:03
» Replies: 2
» Views: 66
Technic 2002
Last Post: aefferen
2024-03-26, 11:03
» Replies: 3
» Views: 2,800
Sesame Street (21324) Min...
Forum: Parts Authoring
2024-03-26, 0:58
» Replies: 8
» Views: 351
Lego Technic 1981
Last Post: N. W. Perry
2024-03-25, 23:08
» Replies: 18
» Views: 18,450
linking to a specific par...
Forum: Website Suggestions/Requests/Discussion
2024-03-25, 22:32
» Replies: 2
» Views: 93

Using JSON as HL library export
Posted by: Roland Melkert - 2015-03-15, 23:14 - Forum: Official File Specifications/Standards - Replies (6)

I've been playing with a simple JSON export in LDCad 1.5 alpha to see if its worth the effort in regards to the introducing a second HL library topic.

It resulted in this extremely light weight welGL renderer. This is far from a full featured LDraw renderer but it demonstrates the ease of doing so when using a new HL LDraw library format.

The JSON structure is readable in the test's javascript source. For now the format only includes polygons (excluding textures).

The test also raised some questions we need to awnser if we ever want to setup some official JSON LDraw format, My main concerns / discussion points I would like to throw into the group are:

How to split the geometry data

In the example I basically dumped the LDCad OpenGL vertex data into a single array (made out of continues pos/nor pairs). Alternative could be to first list all unique positions, normals and tex coords individually and also setup separate index arrays for them per mesh. The enduser software can then construct any kind of buffer they need. Optionally ignoring normals and / or texture coordinates etc.

Webgl (one of the main end users of the format) has no QUAD support, should we therefore drop quads in the fileformat to?

For now I converted the quad indices to triangle indices while keeping them separated. That way you can transform them back when needed.

How to handle non BFC parts
Non bfc parts are handled with dual lighting inside LDCad so these export tests will cause problems for non bfc parts. So how do we handle non bfc parts in the JSON files? Ether by duplicating all data or by setting some flag so the enduser handles it with a different shader or by drawing everything twice (CW and CCW) or something.

Print this item

2015/2016 LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB) - Call for Volunteers
Posted by: Willy Tschager - 2015-03-14, 8:40 - Forum: LDraw.org Announcements - Replies (8)

This is the official call for volunteers on the LDraw.org Standards Board (LSB).

The LSB is responsible for maintaining semi-regular internal discussions on pending file format issues, the overall progress of the LDraw file format and new or proposed developments made by different LDraw-based software authors. They adopt new official standards by voting on them, and publish documentation on LDraw.org following such a decision. The LSC has documented and will document past, current and future LDraw File Formats.

With revision 1.5 of the LSC Charter the number of seats is restricted to 4 since one seat is reserved for a current LDraw Library Administrator.

Most urging issues are:

• LDraw File Format 2.0 (Discussions here and here)
  • Standard for a connection database (Discussion here)
  • Define TEXMAP resolution and naming conventions (Discussion here)

To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors are eligible to become members of the LSB, they shall have met one or more of the following requirements for nomination:
  • Authored at least two LDraw parts subsequently released in an Official LDraw.org Parts Update
  • Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews in at least two updates since their initial participation
  • Released a still available software program that is compliant with either the LDraw 1.0.0 spec or another spec published by the LSB
  • Petition for nomination as an LSB candidate approved by 2 current LSB members
  • Petition for nomination as an LSB candidate made to the LSB by at least 5 others eligible to be LSB candidates

This Call will close at 11:59 PM GMT on 31 March 2015. The LDraw Steering Committee will appoint the new LSB members in the following days.

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee

Print this item

Custom Lego compatible parts design
Posted by: t_bostanjyan - 2015-03-11, 12:59 - Forum: General LDraw.org Discussion - Replies (1)

Hi forum,

I'm going to design several custom Lego compatible parts.
First I'll create 3D model and then print it on my 3D printer.
I'm familiar with SketchUp, but it seems is not very suitable for Lego parts.

Is it possible to use LDraw for that?

Could you please recommend other CAD software suitable for me?

Thank you very much.

Print this item

OpenSDraw
Posted by: Hazen Babcock - 2015-03-10, 1:24 - Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers - Replies (2)

Hello,

On the off chance that someone else finds this interesting, I would like to introduce the OpenSDraw builder. This builder is a little different in that it provides a domain specific language for creating MOCs instead of a GUI interface. The language is built on Python, but the language itself is a prefix language like Scheme or Lisp. The project includes a customized editting mode for emacs. The project also includes a GUI part finder, but I'm sure better ones exist. You will probably need to some Python skills to get it to work for you.

The project is here:
https://github.com/HazenBabcock/opensdraw

The documentation and some examples are here:
http://hazenbabcock.github.io/opensdraw/

This project was inspired by OpenSCAD, a solid 3D CAD modeler, thus the name.

Best,
-Hazen

Print this item

LICreator 0.9.002
Posted by: Jarema - 2015-03-09, 13:34 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (4)

Now you can download new version of LEGO Instruction Book Creator at https://code.google.com/p/licreator/

Please, share you comments here. In next version one wish per person will be graded**. I you put more that one I selected only one - randomly. This list will be closed at May 20, 2015 at 20:20

** maximally 10 in total. If I can do it.

Changes related to previous 0.8.501 version Wrote::: Set minimum size of width and height of application
:: Assistant now display properly
:: Fixed group of miscellaneous bugs
:: Key TAB can now work in loop
:: Added ability to re-opening current Instruction book
:: Disable real-time preview for speed-up and avoid crash situation
:: Added the ability to positioning the preview of sub-model from then menu
:: LicColor class can now use colors from LDConfig.ldr file
:: Remember now latest import location
:: Re-organize configuration file
:: Added switch options to monitoring L3P ,POV-Ray activities
:: Added option to restore data source of imported model
:: Added delimitation of the notification area for tool-tip and other
:: Added information about value of current zoom
:: Handling AttributeError exception for:
:: - getPartBoundingBox
:: - callGLDisplayList
:: - renderFinalImageWithPov
:: - updatePersistentIndices
:: Rewritten LicPovrayWrapper class
:: Provided information about license and author
:: Support of custom colors of user /0x, opaque; 0x02, opaque; 0x03, 50% Alpha/
:: Support of invisible color /0x07, 10% Alpha/
:: NOTICE: POV-Ray calls work only on instruction without submodels

Print this item

Space police II series
Posted by: Massimo Maso - 2015-03-07, 9:10 - Forum: Official Models - Replies (9)

Hello to all,
I will upload the Space police II models that I made .
You can use it freely, I give it 'Free ONLY for NON-Commercial Use' .
At the time are referred as "Unofficial model" but only because they were not verified by other people.
In case of errors or problems reported me. Thanks.

Here are some notes for possible improvements.

They collected all the models of the Space police II series.

There are 7 box-sets that I organized in 1 mpd for each one.
The set 3015 is not present, it is the same of 1916.

If there are moving parts (hooks, trailers, tippers, ...) I created more ldr files for a single object in order to simplify a possible next animation.
In order not to complicate the archive, however, the wheels have been incorporated into the one file ldr of the vehicle.
In the mpd file of a box-set, each vehicle has its own independent structure (ldr file).

The basic idea is to assign names to the following :
xxxx [x ] - [ yyy ] - [ z ] - [ u]
xxxx [ x ] is the code box ( four or five digits)
yyyyyy is the option code for the second box , if the vehicle is a combination
z is the progressive optional for different independent models inside the box
u is a letter optional for the parts that make up the model , and that can move between them.

As for the choice of colors, I tried to respect those provided by Lego, but it is possible that some have escaped me.

I did not use stickers: I do not like in real life and I prefer not to use them even in the virtual world.
I did not realize the minifiugres in the box-sets.

Ldr files were introduced in the steps for building: do not reflect the official ones of the instruction manual.
The models are built bottom-up.

The vehicles are all oriented with the longitudinal axis x and muzzle in a positive direction.

Now stop write, it's time to load the models!
I hope you enjoy them as I liked building them!

Print this item

installed but can't open LDraw
Posted by: Shauna Boren - 2015-03-05, 23:06 - Forum: Help - Replies (3)

I apologize, I'm trying to get LDraw running for my son to create his own Lego instruction manuals. We went through installation with the AIOI, selecting the option to have a desktop icon, and got the message that installation was completed successfully. Yet, there's no desktop icon, and when I search for "LDraw" I get no results. We're running Windows 8. The LDraw folder is in my Program Files (x86) folder, and contains folders: "LDView, LPub, LMCad, Tutorials, Web Links. Does LDraw not run on Windows 8?

Thanks!

Print this item

LICreator - Color parsing problem
Posted by: Jarema - 2015-03-05, 22:43 - Forum: LDraw File Processing and Conversion - Replies (3)

Code:
0x02RRGGBB or 0xRRGGBB = opaque RGB
0x03RRGGBB = transparent RGB
0x04RGBRGB = opaque dither
0x05RGBxxx = transparent dither (xxx is ignored)
0x06xxxRGB = transparent dither (xxx is ignored)
0x07xxxxxx = invisible
I need some one who know how detect corresponded ALPHA value from format above.

Print this item

42039 24 Hour Race Car - SBrick, Power Functions
Posted by: Trevor Sandy - 2015-03-04, 9:50 - Forum: Official Models - Replies (3)

42038 24 Hours Race Car

- 2 SBricks / iPhone 6
- Power Functions large, medium and servo motoors
- Lights
- Rear Decklid
- Doors
- Steering
- Accelaration/Reverse

- MPD file (download): 42039S-24H-Race-Car-PF-SBrick.mpd (9MB due to hq flex and wire rendering; all unofficial parts integrated)
- Parts List (download): 42039S-01-Motorized.html - additional parts needed to complete this upgrade
- LPub instructions (pending) - mpd file can substitute in the mean time.

Derrogations:
- No stickers
- PF Light (8870) - correct electric 2x2 brick (junction block) does not exist in LDraw so I used the basic 2 x 2 brick (3003.dat)
- Changed the single 13beam decklid open/close lever to more robust double beam design
- Added telemetry antenna
- There is some clash between the right side decklid motor and the decklid which is mostly unnoticable in the physical model so I did not redesign.

Credits:
- Configured using LDCad 1.4b
- Philippe Hurbain - 2015 Technic unofficial parts
- KBrick/PPung Daddy (SKorea) - 42039 motorization design

Photos and renderings

Cheers,
Trevor

Print this item

Requests on Motorcycle parts
Posted by: Christian Maglekær - 2015-03-03, 13:06 - Forum: Part Requests - Replies (6)

Hi.
Is there anyone who will like to convert 85983 from LDD?

Is it possible to change these two LDraw files 30189 and 50860 so they come on the inventory list as loose parts? Right now the only "present" in the form of shortcuts. (See pic.)

Is it also possible to have created a shortcut on old motorcycle body (x900 and x901) without wheels?

Christian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item