LDraw.org Part Numbering Draft

LDraw.org Part Numbering Draft
The draft of the Official Part Numbering Spec is done can can be found here:
https://www.ldraw.org/part-number-spec.html

This is a reorganized and reformatted version of this:
https://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/numberfaq/

Please read it over and make comments. I'm sure there are errors and clarifications that need to be made before I send it to the LSB for ratification. 

Note:
This doc is intended to be used in conjunction with:
https://www.ldraw.org/hidden-content/dra...brary.html
These rules would make that document too long and unwieldy.
RE: LDraw.org Part Numbering Draft
Mould Variants/Different Versions or Parts with the Same Number

Omisses the case when an official part gets a new origin/orientation or is heavily modified. The old version gets obsoleted and the new version is continued with a suffix.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-06-02, 7:43)Willy Tschager Wrote: Mould Variants/Different Versions or Parts with the Same Number

Omisses the case when an official part gets a new origin/orientation or is heavily modified. The old version gets obsoleted and the new version is continued with a suffix.

Hmm. I'm not sure we need to address this specifically. It's a rare case and will only happen after much discussion. I think it falls under the catch-all in the intro: "While the goal is to be comprehensive, it may not outline all situations involving the numbering of parts for the Official Library."
Lego -> LEGO

Unknown Part Numbers
If Lego ... -> It the LEGO...

A paragraph has to be added that works out the difference between design ID and item (element ID) and that we only work with design IDs. We should also point out that we do our own numbering especially with pattens and that our numbering not necessarily follows BL or Rebrickable or ...

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23916.html

w.
LEGO ergo sum
All great suggestions. I've modified the document to include them. Let me know if I need to further clarify anything.
Design IDs vs. Element IDs

The numbers listed next to parts at the back of instruction manuals are not the part numbers (also called Design IDs) LDraw.org uses as its nomenclatura, but the Element IDs or Item IDs, a number that signifies both the part shape and color. Since LDraw parts can be any color, LDraw does not use Element IDs but solely Design IDs. In a Brick 1x2 this is typically "3004" while a Tan Brick's 1x2 Element ID is "4109995".
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-06-05, 10:56)Willy Tschager Wrote: Design IDs vs. Element IDs

The numbers listed next to parts at the back of instruction manuals are not the part numbers (also called Design IDs) LDraw.org uses as its nomenclatura, but the Element IDs or Item IDs, a number that signifies both the part shape and color. Since LDraw parts can be any color, LDraw does not use Element IDs but solely Design IDs. In a Brick 1x2 this is typically "3004" while a Tan Brick's 1x2 Element ID is "4109995".

This is great. Keep it coming.
Added this text.
(2020-06-05, 19:12)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Added this text.

I find Willy's wording a bit confusing.
I've never heard of "Ldraw Design ID" or "LDraw Element ID". That's LEGO nomenclatura.
We call a partnumber "Name" in the header (for some reason I dont understand).

And please also include something about the LEGO use of "DesignID" on both parts, printed parts, and multicoloured parts.
It the Tan 1x2 brick is printed it gets a different DesignID. And if the same print (DesignID) is on a yellow brick it gets a different ElementID.

Or maybe not. I don't like the use of "DesignID" in this text since it is used very confusingly by LEGO.
Design IDs vs. Element IDs

LDraw Part Number are base on the LEGO Design IDs. The numbers listed next to parts at the back of LEGO instruction manuals are not the part numbers LDraw.org uses as its nomenclatura, but the LEGO Element IDs or Item IDs. A number that signifies both the part shape and color. Since LDraw parts can be any color, LDraw does not use Element IDs but solely Design IDs. In a Brick 1x2 this is typically "3004" while a Tan Brick's 1x2 Element ID is "4109995".
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »