Parts we are Working on - Part Deux

RE: Mario plates
(2020-06-16, 11:23)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Working on Mario plates with rounded corners!
Done!
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptscan.cgi...escription
RE: Parts we are Working on - Part Deux
In progress...

[Image: u9328ap01c012.png]
Heart WOW Heart
As this was on my to-do list for many years I would appreciate if you could give us some insight on how you did this AMAZING job.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-06-22, 15:22)Willy Tschager Wrote: As this was on my to-do list for many years I would appreciate if you could give us some insight on how you did this AMAZING job.

w.

Credit for the original geometry goes to Philo, of course :-)

I started with a 640dpi scan of the part - the same one I used to create the flat version now on the tracker - cleaned up and with the colours replaced.  The cone is (mostly) a series of identical quads, so I added their outlines and centre-lines to the scan:

[Image: u9328p01.png]

It was then just a matter of rotating the image so that the segment I needed was vertical, and cropping it out into a texture image.  The final tepee consists of 47 textures.  It should I think be possible to convert that into vector graphics, but it will take a lot more effort!

The part needs a bit more tweaking - unsurprisingly the images didn't quite line up with each other once projected onto the cone, so a bit of manual adjustment of the images is still required to finish it.

Doing this as texmaps sped things up enormously: the part only took me a morning to do (plus several hours' fiddling when I discovered that the entry flap wasn't in the right place...!).

The colours are Black, Red and Dark Brown from the LDraw palette (more or less, anyway).  I'm not convinced the brown is actually dark enough - on the actual part it's so dark it's almost indistinguishable from the black (and indeed BrickLink claims that the edge *is* black).  Do we want a new colour (assuming that this gets turned into vector graphics)?

It also occurred: technically, this type of part shouldn't be modelled with the existing colours anyway - it's really a 'material cloth', if we want to add that to the spec.  Might allow a renderer to apply a suitable cloth-like texture... :-)

Anyway, I will get the images finished off shortly and on the PT, and then do the other tepee.
Submissions and projects
RE: Parts we are Working on - Part 2 - 973pu0
(2020-06-22, 18:51)Marc Giraudet Wrote: Submissions and projects

Scan enclosed for discussion about colour choice.

RE: Parts we are Working on - Part 2 - 3846p02
(2020-06-22, 18:51)Marc Giraudet Wrote: Submissions and projects
Scan enclosed for discussion about colour choice.

.jpg   3846p02.jpg (Size: 82.34 KB / Downloads: 1,021)
(2020-06-22, 18:56)Marc Giraudet Wrote: Scan enclosed for discussion about colour choice.

So background is white. I don't care if there's a color 16 border but others may disagree. The other colors are self evident IMO.
Border 16
Background 15
Cracks 16
Black
Dark Tan
Rust or something

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Orange
White
Black
Bluish dark grey
Metallic silver 80
All yellow including the dot on the walkie-talkie 16

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-06-23, 7:56)Willy Tschager Wrote: Orange
White
Black
Bluish dark grey
Metallic silver 80
All yellow including the dot on the walkie-talkie 16

w.
Colours used on the part submit was in accordance, excepted walkie-talkie dot. I will uploaded a corrected one as soon as possible.
(2020-06-23, 7:51)Willy Tschager Wrote: Border 16
Background 15
Cracks 16
Black
Dark Tan
Rust or something

w.

I'm not sure about the cracks. They might be printing too. 
I'm pretty sure the scrolls are metallic ink.

I have this part so I check both.
(2020-06-23, 16:42)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm not sure about the cracks. They might be printing too. 
I'm pretty sure the scrolls are metallic ink.

I have this part so I check both.
I use pearl gold for the scroll because they are "shinny". In this case a scan don't show the right colour.
Cracks are printed but the colour "light bluish grey" like the part is OK. So 16 is a good choice.
I can use the colour certifiying staff wants. Wink
(2020-06-23, 7:51)Willy Tschager Wrote: Rust or something

I was going to say Dark Orange, maybe.
(2020-06-23, 16:51)Marc Giraudet Wrote: I use pearl gold for the scroll because they are "shinny". In this case a scan don't show the right colour.
Cracks are printed but the colour "light bluish grey" like the part is OK. So 16 is a good choice.
I can use the colour certifiying staff wants. Wink

here's my photo:

I'd use Mettalic_Gold for the scrolls. 
Willy's Dark Orange suggestion seem correct for the middle

If the cracks are printed, which they look to be, then they should be Light Bluish Grey, not color 16.
(2020-06-23, 17:45)Orion Pobursky Wrote: here's my photo:

I'd use Mettalic_Gold for the scrolls. 
Willy's Dark Orange suggestion seem correct for the middle

If the cracks are printed, which they look to be, then they should be Light Bluish Grey, not color 16.
Done in the PT.
First tepee now pretty much done, second one in progress:

[Image: 67661.png]
(noise of jaw dropping on the floor)
(2020-06-27, 13:42)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: (noise of jaw dropping on the floor)
...and now that I've seen the part on PT I realize that I need to change the tiling of the floor, it's broken!!!

There is something weird on PT:

.png   Capture.PNG (Size: 6.5 KB / Downloads: 994)
...but I couldn't find anything wrong in your file!
(2020-06-27, 18:39)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...and now that I've seen the part on PT I realize that I need to change the tiling of the floor, it's broken!!!

There is something weird on PT:

...but I couldn't find anything wrong in your file!
Now that is odd.  Looks like images ...01 and ...02 haven't uploaded correctly.  The exact same problem occurs on both patterned parts, so I don't think this was an error at my end.

I've noticed, actually, that the PT has some problems with texture images.  Some of the ones I uploaded for the baseplate a few weeks ago, while they are present on the tracker, are not accessible because the web UI has truncated the names.
I think Willy probably just died. His life's work is complete. ?
(2020-06-27, 19:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I think Willy probably just died. His life's work is complete. ?
Nah, I think there's still a set of legs outstanding :-)
(2020-06-27, 18:39)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...but I couldn't find anything wrong in your file!

Don't know if it is an error, but the same three lines in both files contain 3 space instead of only 2, in the code.

Quote:0 !TEXMAP START PLANAR  -19.575 -276 148.71___-38.82 -276 144.885___-19.575 -6 148.71  u9328ap0101.png

Quote:0 !TEXMAP START PLANAR  -38.82 -276 144.885___-57.405 -276 138.585___-38.82 -6 144.885  u9328ap0102.png
Quote:0 !TEXMAP START PLANAR  106.065 -276 -106.065  119.01 -276 -91.32___106.065 -6 -106.065  u9328ap0130.png

But why does that matter?
(2020-06-27, 21:11)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Don't know if it is an error, but the same three lines in both files contain 3 space instead of only 2, in the code.

But why does that matter?

Indeed!  It's an error in the sense that I meant for there to be just two spaces, but presumably there's a bug in the PT's file-parser.
(2020-06-27, 19:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I think Willy probably just died. His life's work is complete. ?

Not yet Big Grin Working on:

[Image: 30131.png] 

Plant, Tree 6 x 6 Hollow Stump
LEGO ergo sum
Good luck! Shape is far from trivial...
(2020-06-28, 12:15)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Good luck! Shape is far from trivial...

But there's a nice LDD mesh available :-)
(2020-06-28, 12:16)Alex Taylor Wrote: But there's a nice LDD mesh available :-)
Oops Wink
(2020-06-28, 12:16)Alex Taylor Wrote: But there's a nice LDD mesh available :-)

Not usable. In terrible shape.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Ducati Panigale, tubes and seaweed
(2020-06-16, 14:51)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I thought I posted it already but can't find it again...
When I receive the parts, I intend to work on Ducati Panigale tyre, shock absorber and brake disk.
...and also 49736/49737 tubes, and 49577 seaweed/coral
Done so far:
Tyre and tubes
RE: Ducati Panigale, tubes and seaweed
Seaweed done too. https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c.../49577.dat
Many thanks to Gerald for his preliminary work on this part!
(2020-06-27, 22:08)Alex Taylor Wrote: Indeed!  It's an error in the sense that I meant for there to be just two spaces, but presumably there's a bug in the PT's file-parser.

So, I'd like to review these parts, but I don't know what to look for.  Or what is an actual error.

Is the three space distance an error in the dat-files?  Or is there an error in the Part Tracker?

They look good in the PT 3D viewer, they "sort of" work in LDView, look good in LDCad, look good in LDFind and LDStructure.
I even checked them in MLCad.

However, DatHeader goes into a frenzie of error messages about  "TEXMAP END before TEXMAP FALLBACK" and "TEXMAP END before surface declared". I guess it's two messages for every line it considers to be an error.
(The same thing happens on 6092p01.dat)

I think the tepees and the base plate are missing a correct fallback surface declaration.
The geometry for the texture is doing double-duty here; as there is no vector-graphic pattern it seems a bit wasteful to duplicate the geom in a FALLBACK section.

As I said, the three spaces was a typo on my part - I intended to just have the two spaces - but as the spec permits any amount of whitespace between tokens, if the PT is having problems with this then there's a bug there somewhere.
(2020-07-19, 21:40)Alex Taylor Wrote: The geometry for the texture is doing double-duty here; as there is no vector-graphic pattern it seems a bit wasteful to duplicate the geom in a FALLBACK section.

As I said, the three spaces was a typo on my part - I intended to just have the two spaces - but as the spec permits any amount of whitespace between tokens, if the PT is having problems with this then there's a bug there somewhere.

There should always be a fallback, even if it's the same as the TEXMAP section. Maybe we need to explicitly state that in the Library Spec?

You are, however, correct about the spaces. There can be any amount of white space between numbers.
(2020-07-19, 21:45)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Maybe we need to explicitly state that in the Library Spec?

Answer: No. the TEXMAP spec requires a FALLBACK section.
(2020-07-19, 21:46)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Answer: No. the TEXMAP spec requires a FALLBACK section.

The FALLBACK section is definitely not intended to be required, and in fact is explicitly stated in the spect to be impossible when using TEXMAP NEXT. If FALLBACK being completely optional is unclear in the TEXMAP spec, then the TEXMAP spec should probably be updated. When no fallback geometry is available, the FALLBACK section should not be present, and the untextured version of the TEXMAP geometry should be used instead. I don't think this is stated as a requirement anywhere, but perhaps it should be.
(2020-07-20, 0:03)Travis Cobbs Wrote: The FALLBACK section is definitely not intended to be required, and in fact is explicitly stated in the spect to be impossible when using TEXMAP NEXT. If FALLBACK being completely optional is unclear in the TEXMAP spec, then the TEXMAP spec should probably be updated. When no fallback geometry is available, the FALLBACK section should not be present, and the untextured version of the TEXMAP geometry should be used instead. I don't think this is stated as a requirement anywhere, but perhaps it should be.

Well that's 2 things that are ambiguous in the spec so I'll propose a rev later this week.
Error in DatHeader or in the texmap specifications?
(2020-07-19, 21:16)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: However, DatHeader goes into a frenzie of error messages about  "TEXMAP END before TEXMAP FALLBACK" and "TEXMAP END before surface declared". I guess it's two messages for every line it considers to be an error.
(The same thing happens on 6092p01.dat)

To clarify.
These messages comes from the program. They are not part of a review given in the program.
If I, after the last message try to view the part, the program will crash, and shuts down.
Working on 42107 Panigale windscreen and 42112 concrete mixer drum...
Working on the sticker sheet 4603014 in set 3061 (City Park Cafe, Friends 2012), based on the image at Bricklink
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cat...=0#T=C&C=0

If a better resolution image can be provided, it will be highly appreciated.

The colors I've chosen are:
Red: Red (4)
Yellow: Yellow (14)
Brown: Reddish brown (70)
Pink: Pink (13)
Blue: Light blue (9)

But, are Bright pink (29) and Bright light blue (212) more appropriate,
according to the set inventory?
(2020-08-30, 12:58)Takeshi Takahashi Wrote: The colors I've chosen are:
Red: Red (4)
Yellow: Yellow (14)
Brown: Reddish brown (70)
Pink: Pink (13)
Blue: Light blue (9)

Must include the White colour on the top surface, even if it might be a print on white paper/plastic.
Colour 16 must be used if the background is transparent. (note the difference between Background and Backside)

Non of the stickers are placed on a Bright pink or Bright light blue brick, so the choice is up to you.
The background is not supposed to blend in, or disappear.
(2020-08-30, 13:35)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Must include the White colour on the top surface, even if it might be a print on white paper/plastic.
Colour 16 must be used if the background is transparent. (note the difference between Background and Backside)

Non of the stickers are placed on a Bright pink or Bright light blue brick, so the choice is up to you.
The background is not supposed to blend in, or disappear.

Thank you for your advice.
I'll continue with making remaining stickers, including non-rectangular two pieces.
Got the part and will redesign the complete ladder:

[Image: 850.png]

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...ts/850.dat
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-07-21, 7:18)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Working on 42107 Panigale windscreen and 42112 concrete mixer drum...
Took a while (side tracked, etc...) but both are now on PT!
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...p01c01.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...421p01.dat
I'll be working on 3039p14.dat, which is an older patterned slope used in several 90s-era town sets (aka my Dark Ages). The pattern can be obtained from vectors in the official instructions PDF.

EDIT: Now on PT.

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...039p14.dat

I'm also doing sticker sheet 170903, which will involve 3 new sticker parts from extant patterns. One of the stickers seems to already exist as 170872a. I will also need to refresh myself on how best to do a formed sticker…

Still on my back burner is Model Team rim 32004a. I've done a first draft, but I'm not fully sold on the results yet. Opinions are welcome. :-)
(2020-10-03, 10:59)Willy Tschager Wrote: Got the part and will redesign the complete ladder:

[Image: 850.png]

All now on the PT:

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...ts/851.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...ts/852.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...c01-f1.dat
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...c01-f2.dat

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Ghostbuster Ecto Windscreen
Already made the new ECTO Windscreen, waiting for a Design-ID! The bottom is borrowed from the Cylinder Panel, but it is different, missed an Isntagram post that showed the bottom.

RE: Ghostbuster Ecto Windscreen
(2020-11-06, 9:42)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Already made the new ECTO Windscreen, waiting for a Design-ID! The bottom is borrowed from the Cylinder Panel, but it is different, missed an Isntagram post that showed the bottom.

Many thanks.
I'm working on the orange torso from the set 60222.
Does anybody have the scan?
This is what I have done so far:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1utPbQr5...sp=sharing
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »