Using LDCad

Using LDCad
Couple of questions about LDCad.

* How do I add a part or submodel that is located in the same directory (or some arbitrary directory) as the model I am working on? I can't figure out which menu option does this. Thanks.
* How do I bandbox select multiple parts in a model using the mouse?
* How do I select a part using the mouse if the part has no triangles or quads, and only edge lines?
RE: Using LDCad
1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"
2) Control + right mouse button drag
3) No simple way (even area select above doesn't work). The only method I see is to use source window (view -> new source window)
(2017-12-24, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: 1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"
3) No simple way (even area select above doesn't work). The only method I see is to use source window (view -> new source window)

3: is problematic because (region) selection only tests triangles for intersection. thanks for reminding me I need to address that in 2.0.
(2017-12-24, 18:58)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-12-24, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: 1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"

3: is problematic because (region) selection only tests triangles for intersection. thanks for reminding me I need to address that in 2.0.

Still can't figure out #2. CTRL + RMB is panning my camera, not bandbox selecting.
(2018-01-07, 21:27)Michael Horvath Wrote: Still can't figure out #2. CTRL + RMB is panning my camera, not bandbox selecting.
Are you using 1.6a?, as this feature is added recently.

1. Drag and drop from where?
2. This is not working for me. It just pans the camera around the scene.
3. Thanks.
Drag and drop from Windows file explorer. Guess it works the same on Linux, but not sure Wink
(2017-12-25, 8:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Drag and drop from Windows file explorer. Guess it works the same on Linux, but not sure Wink

This is odd, but okay.
Is there a way to make it so that you can only select the model at the current nesting level instead of sub-sub-sub-models? E.g. I don't always want to select a brick in a house in a town, etc. Thanks.
(2018-01-07, 21:20)Michael Horvath Wrote: Is there a way to make it so that you can only select the model at the current nesting level instead of sub-sub-sub-models? E.g. I don't always want to select a brick in a house in a town, etc. Thanks.

Yes by using 'exclusion' as described in the "Nested editing" section of:
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

You can also select them by using the source window but with as many lines as in datsville it will probably be hard to find them.
Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk? I have a "layer_traffic.ldr", and I want to insert "block_022_overlay.ldr" into it? Thanks.

[edit]

I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?
(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk?
The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?

This is the LDraw definition: LDR format is for one model, MPD format is a container for more models in one file. To keep the parent model in LDR format, you have two options:

1. copy&paste the other model contents to the main model or use "Reorganize" function to move all parts to the "highest level" (==from submodels to the main model) - this way you loose the information about the submodel
  2. keep a link to the other model only in the parent file, do not include the submodel there - this way your main file is usable only if placed in the same directory and on your computer only, of course
(2018-01-14, 12:12)Milan Vančura Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk?
The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?

This is the LDraw definition: LDR format is for one model, MPD format is a container for more models in one file. To keep the parent model in LDR format, you have two options:

1. copy&paste the other model contents to the main model or use "Reorganize" function to move all parts to the "highest level" (==from submodels to the main model) - this way you loose the information about the submodel
  2. keep a link to the other model only in the parent file, do not include the submodel there - this way your main file is usable only if placed in the same directory and on your computer only, of course

That worked, thanks!
(2018-01-14, 12:12)Milan Vančura Wrote: The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

FYI: you can also use shift+ins after switching from the just opened file to the main model. shift+ins will add the last used session's model to the current one. So you could do "Open second ldr" -> END -> SHIFT+INS
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »