LDraw.org Discussion Forums
Using LDCad - Printable Version

+- LDraw.org Discussion Forums (https://forums.ldraw.org)
+-- Forum: LDraw Programs (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: LDraw Editors and Viewers (https://forums.ldraw.org/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Using LDCad (/thread-22631.html)

Pages: 1 2

Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2017-12-24

Couple of questions about LDCad.

* How do I add a part or submodel that is located in the same directory (or some arbitrary directory) as the model I am working on? I can't figure out which menu option does this. Thanks.
* How do I bandbox select multiple parts in a model using the mouse?
* How do I select a part using the mouse if the part has no triangles or quads, and only edge lines?

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2017-12-24

1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"
2) Control + right mouse button drag
3) No simple way (even area select above doesn't work). The only method I see is to use source window (view -> new source window)

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2017-12-24

(2017-12-24, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: 1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"
3) No simple way (even area select above doesn't work). The only method I see is to use source window (view -> new source window)

3: is problematic because (region) selection only tests triangles for intersection. thanks for reminding me I need to address that in 2.0.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2017-12-25

(2017-12-24, 12:32)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: 1) Drag and drop file on the opened model, then "use file by reference"

1. Drag and drop from where?
2. This is not working for me. It just pans the camera around the scene.
3. Thanks.

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2017-12-25

Drag and drop from Windows file explorer. Guess it works the same on Linux, but not sure Wink

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2017-12-25

(2017-12-25, 8:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Drag and drop from Windows file explorer. Guess it works the same on Linux, but not sure Wink

This is odd, but okay.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-07

Is there a way to make it so that you can only select the model at the current nesting level instead of sub-sub-sub-models? E.g. I don't always want to select a brick in a house in a town, etc. Thanks.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-07

(2017-12-24, 18:58)Roland Melkert Wrote:

3: is problematic because (region) selection only tests triangles for intersection. thanks for reminding me I need to address that in 2.0.

Still can't figure out #2. CTRL + RMB is panning my camera, not bandbox selecting.

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-07

(2018-01-07, 21:20)Michael Horvath Wrote: Is there a way to make it so that you can only select the model at the current nesting level instead of sub-sub-sub-models? E.g. I don't always want to select a brick in a house in a town, etc. Thanks.

Yes by using 'exclusion' as described in the "Nested editing" section of:
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

You can also select them by using the source window but with as many lines as in datsville it will probably be hard to find them.

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-07

(2018-01-07, 21:27)Michael Horvath Wrote: Still can't figure out #2. CTRL + RMB is panning my camera, not bandbox selecting.
Are you using 1.6a?, as this feature is added recently.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-14

Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk? I have a "layer_traffic.ldr", and I want to insert "block_022_overlay.ldr" into it? Thanks.

[edit]

I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?

RE: Using LDCad - Milan Vančura - 2018-01-14

(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk?
The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?

This is the LDraw definition: LDR format is for one model, MPD format is a container for more models in one file. To keep the parent model in LDR format, you have two options:

1. copy&paste the other model contents to the main model or use "Reorganize" function to move all parts to the "highest level" (==from submodels to the main model) - this way you loose the information about the submodel
  2. keep a link to the other model only in the parent file, do not include the submodel there - this way your main file is usable only if placed in the same directory and on your computer only, of course

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-14

(2018-01-14, 12:12)Milan Vančura Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: Next question: How do I add a submodel stored on disk?
The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

(2018-01-14, 1:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: I am reading the docs about adding submodels. They say, "the file has been upgraded to mpd the second you added a second model to it". How do I add a submodel without turning the parent model into an MPD?

This is the LDraw definition: LDR format is for one model, MPD format is a container for more models in one file. To keep the parent model in LDR format, you have two options:

1. copy&paste the other model contents to the main model or use "Reorganize" function to move all parts to the "highest level" (==from submodels to the main model) - this way you loose the information about the submodel
  2. keep a link to the other model only in the parent file, do not include the submodel there - this way your main file is usable only if placed in the same directory and on your computer only, of course

That worked, thanks!

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-14

(2018-01-14, 12:12)Milan Vančura Wrote: The easiest way is to simply open the other file, too. Then switch back to the first one (hotkey "End") and find the other one in the part bin, section "all models open" or similar name.

FYI: you can also use shift+ins after switching from the just opened file to the main model. shift+ins will add the last used session's model to the current one. So you could do "Open second ldr" -> END -> SHIFT+INS

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-21

I see that there is a video tutorial about how to work with hoses. Is there one about string as well?

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-01-21

Well, hoses and strings work exactly the same!

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-21

(2018-01-21, 11:56)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Well, hoses and strings work exactly the same!

Does it automatically adjust for gravity? The string should form a caternary.

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-01-21

Quote:Does it automatically adjust for gravity? The string should form a caternary.
No, you have to add control points and adjust stiffness sliders to get the right shape. I think you can get a convincing shape with only 3 control points (one at each end with the right angle, one horizontal in the middle). As you can see here there is not much visual difference between a catenary and a parabola https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary#Catenary_bridges

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-22

(2018-01-21, 17:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:Does it automatically adjust for gravity? The string should form a caternary.
No, you have to add control points and adjust stiffness sliders to get the right shape. I think you can get a convincing shape with only 3 control points (one at each end with the right angle, one horizontal in the middle). As you can see here there is not much visual difference between a catenary and a parabola https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary#Catenary_bridges

Okay, I will give it a shot.

(2018-01-21, 17:35)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:

How do I add a third control point? The rope I created seems to only have two.

I've been watching this video, but there's no audio, so I have no idea what's going on.

(2018-01-14, 12:12)Milan Vančura Wrote:

I don't see an "all models open" option. Can you show me?

[edit]

[Image: 5PJCWVC.png]

I think I found the menu item. But, as you can see, my submodel "rope_1.ldr" does not appear anywhere there. How do I add the submodel to the top model?

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-01-22

[quote pid='27439' dateline='1516645093']
I've been watching this video, but there's no audio, so I have no idea what's going on.
[/quote]
In nested mode, select one end control point and pres INS to duplicate it, and place it where you want.

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-01-22

The submodel I'm working on does not appear there.

[Image: 5PJCWVC.png]

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-22

(2018-01-22, 20:19)Michael Horvath Wrote: The submodel I'm working on does not appear there.

It's probably seen as a part, switch to the rope-1 ldr using the top right listing.

Once there press
END
Back at the main model press
SHIFT+INS

Once one rope is in the model you can add multiple ones (usually 4 for power lines i think) by selecting it followed by INS (while NOT in nested mode).

To shape it go into nested mode and add one or two control points by selecting an existing control point followed by INS, just realize a new point will always be added AFTER the selected one unless you selected the last one and this particular generated part has end caps. It will insert it before the last one in that case.

You'll notice all four ropes will change no matter which one you used to add/shape the path. So if you need different shapes you'll have to add a second rope to the model.

ps: Information about adding the points is noted in the description of the youtube video (I guess nobody reads thos :Smile
pss: It is usually easier to drop the rope template directly into the model as it will make a copy and add the ref in one go.

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-22

(2018-01-22, 20:56)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-01-22, 20:19)Michael Horvath Wrote: The submodel I'm working on does not appear there.

It's probably seen as a part, switch to the rope-1 ldr using the top right listing.

I'm trying to replicate this as it might be a bug, can you send me the used ldr files ?

Is assumed it was something like the attached but that works fine for me.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-23

(2018-01-22, 21:14)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-01-22, 20:56)Roland Melkert Wrote: It's probably seen as a part, switch to the rope-1 ldr using the top right listing.

I'm trying to replicate this as it might be a bug, can you send me the used ldr files ?

Here's what I have so far.

Also, I'm trying to drag the control points, but the grid disappears. How do I get it to come back?

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-23

Okay, I think everything is working properly. I just need to make more for when the poles are turned 45 degrees and the lines go around a corner. Too bad gravity is not simulated! I may actually need to do some calculations so the "drop" is correct for however long the line is.

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-23

(2018-01-23, 0:13)Michael Horvath Wrote:
(2018-01-22, 21:14)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm trying to replicate this as it might be a bug, can you send me the used ldr files ?

Here's what I have so far.

Also, I'm trying to drag the control points, but the grid disappears. How do I get it to come back?

It's not a bug but executed literally as ropes are technically not models but parts hence not listed in the "all models" group.
This is usually not a problem as normally they are almost always embed in a mpd of which the main model is listed (like in my example above) but you are using a loose generated rope ldr as is.

You can force them in the all models group by editing
%appdata%/LDCad/partBin/default/overview/allModels.pbg

and change
Code:
<rules>
include sesKind model
into
Code:
<rules>
include sesKind model
include sesKind path

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-24

The way of adding a submodel is kind of convoluted. Do you think you could add an "In current directory" button to the parts selection dialog? Or just a "Browse for file" button? (Since the former might cause the program to slow to a crawl.)

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-01-24

(2018-01-24, 5:02)Michael Horvath Wrote: The way of adding a submodel is kind of convoluted. Do you think you could add an "In current directory" button to the parts selection dialog? Or just a "Browse for file" button? (Since the former might cause the program to slow to a crawl.)

I mainly aimed LDCad at MPD usage. Files in folder is something I'm planning for 2.0

In the meantime you can also just drop an ldr/mpd from the explorer. It will ask to open it or use it in the current model (which indirectly also opens it).

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-01-25

(2018-01-24, 18:15)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 5:02)Michael Horvath Wrote: The way of adding a submodel is kind of convoluted. Do you think you could add an "In current directory" button to the parts selection dialog? Or just a "Browse for file" button? (Since the former might cause the program to slow to a crawl.)

I mainly aimed LDCad at MPD usage. Files in folder is something I'm planning for 2.0

In the meantime you can also just drop an ldr/mpd from the explorer. It will ask to open it or use it in the current model (which indirectly also opens it).

Okay, I will wait for version 2.0 then.

Files in folder would probably lock up my computer, since each block and file of Datsville might be processed multiple times when starting the program.

RE: Using LDCad - Mindaugas - 2018-02-13

Hi guys,

I have simple question, how to adjust shock absorber length
can't find the way how to select and move only one pinhole

thanks

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-02-13

(2018-02-13, 13:17)Mindaugas Wrote: I have simple question, how to adjust shock absorber length
Hello - welcome here!
LDraw library provides shortcuts for full length shock absorbers, but as the shortcut is a single part, it can't be directly modified.
The crude way is to replace it with its components (cylinder/piston/spring), an operation known as "inlining" in LDraw jargon. To do that, select the shock absorber, right click then Reorganize -> Inline. You will be then be able to move the components independantly. Drawback of this crude way is that the spring length can't be adjusted.

So the best way is to replace the LDraw shortcut with a LDCad shock absorber template. LDCad dynamically generates a srping of the right length. There is a tutorial for this on LDCad website here: http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

Feel free to ask if you need more details!

RE: Using LDCad - Mindaugas - 2018-02-13

(2018-02-13, 14:13)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-02-13, 13:17)Mindaugas Wrote: I have simple question, how to adjust shock absorber length
Hello - welcome here!
LDraw library provides shortcuts for full length shock absorbers, but as the shortcut is a single part, it can't be directly modified.
The crude way is to replace it with its components (cylinder/piston/spring), an operation known as "inlining" in LDraw jargon. To do that, select the shock absorber, right click then Reorganize -> Inline. You will be then be able to move the components independantly. Drawback of this crude way is that the spring length can't be adjusted.

So the best way is to replace the LDraw shortcut with a LDCad shock absorber template. LDCad dynamically generates a srping of the right length. There is a tutorial for this on LDCad website here: http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/advEdit

Feel free to ask if you need more details!

Thanks a lot, found a template - easy editing, didn't noticed that there is a templates parts group

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-02-13

(2018-02-13, 14:32)Mindaugas Wrote: Thanks a lot, found a template - easy editing, didn't noticed that there is a templates parts group

I was just about to answer your email Smile

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-02-25

I can't seem to get the program to load this model. Any tips?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/je0x9ob8y6fgvvx/datsville_rev531_inlined_boxed_none.zip

It was generated using a WIP version of MPDCenter.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Heidemann - 2018-02-25

(2018-02-25, 0:44)Michael Horvath Wrote: I can't seem to get the program to load this model. Any tips?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/je0x9ob8y6fgvvx/datsville_rev531_inlined_boxed_none.zip

I have answered you already with a PM. This seems to me a problem of a two lines in one of the models used in datsville. MPDCenter ignores lines that do not have enough parameter. LDView reports those lines to you and LDCad just stops loading the model. You need to fix the original file in datsville. I have attached the file that issues this error.
Seems that this is not correct. I am still looking for this error.
cu
mikeheide

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Heidemann - 2018-02-25

(2018-02-25, 10:17)Michael Heidemann Wrote:
(2018-02-25, 0:44)Michael Horvath Wrote: I can't seem to get the program to load this model. Any tips?

I have answered you already with a PM. This seems to me a problem of a two lines in one of the models used in datsville. MPDCenter ignores lines that do not have enough parameter. LDView reports those lines to you and LDCad just stops loading the model. You need to fix the original file in datsville. I have attached the file that issues this error.
Seems that this is not correct. I am still looking for this error.
cu
mikeheide
OK, I found the mistake and it seems to be a common one. Please search for the number "3,46944695195361E-18" for more details. Now I need to fix it in my code. All applications that uses XMPD.DLL are affected.
cu
Mikeheide

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-02-25

That file includes type 2..5 lines which causes LDCad to process it like a part. But that 'part' has 1.3 billion vertices Smile which  is above the safety limit canceling the render preparations resulting in a yellow cross.

In short LDCad only allow type 1 lines in a model due to the rendering optimization scheme used .

The file also includes the headers of all inlined files which might confuse parsing, especially the BFC ones.

And last it being a single ldr causes it to parse in a single thread, hence the long loading time.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-02-26

(2018-02-25, 19:59)Roland Melkert Wrote:

That file includes type 2..5 lines which causes LDCad to process it like a part. But that 'part' has 1.3 billion vertices Smile which  is above the safety limit canceling the render preparations resulting in a yellow cross.

In short LDCad only allow type 1 lines in a model due to the rendering optimization scheme used .

The file also includes the headers of all inlined files which might confuse parsing, especially the BFC ones.

And last it being a single ldr causes it to parse in a single thread, hence the long loading time.

Oh wow, so many problems!

Will the model be rendered if I remove the unofficial parts?

Will the POV-Ray exporter still function correctly?

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-02-26

(2018-02-26, 0:51)Michael Horvath Wrote: Oh wow, so many problems!

It will render without the type 2..5 lines.

Export will work when rendering works as the it basically just dumps the OpenGL mesh data.

Why are you inlineing the whole datsville scene? It will cause slower parsing while rendering speed remains the same.

Also editing it will be nearly impossible as you can not limit the work area to e.g. a single building etc.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-02-26

(2018-02-26, 17:03)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-02-26, 0:51)Michael Horvath Wrote: Oh wow, so many problems!

It will render without the type 2..5 lines.

Export will work when rendering works as the it basically just dumps the OpenGL mesh data.

Why are you inlineing the whole datsville scene? It will cause slower parsing while rendering speed remains the same.

Also editing it will be nearly impossible as you can not limit the work area to e.g. a single building etc.

I want to render the scene using LGEO parts, and I need to reduce the part complexity using LDBoxer first or I will run out of RAM. But since LDCad doesn't support LGEO anyway, I guess it's no big deal.

RE: Using LDCad - Michael Horvath - 2018-03-03

(2018-02-26, 21:42)Michael Horvath Wrote:
(2018-02-26, 17:03)Roland Melkert Wrote: It will render without the type 2..5 lines.

I want to render the scene using LGEO parts, and I need to reduce the part complexity using LDBoxer first or I will run out of RAM. But since LDCad doesn't support LGEO anyway, I guess it's no big deal.

Just discovered that, sadly, even with all that, I still do not have enough RAM.

Sad

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-03-03

(2018-03-03, 3:40)Michael Horvath Wrote: Just discovered that, sadly, even with all that, I still do not have enough RAM.

While using POV-ray I'm guessing ? You could enable an extra pagefile using an old harddrive or something (don't use a SSD for this unless you don't mind it wasting countless write cycles). It will be slow but if on win64 it at least will finish some  day Smile

RE: Using LDCad - Mindaugas - 2018-04-11

(2018-02-13, 20:26)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2018-02-13, 14:32)Mindaugas Wrote: Thanks a lot, found a template - easy editing, didn't noticed that there is a templates parts group

I was just about to answer your email Smile

Hello, one more question
where is located Spring Shooter 15301c01?
found only separated parts under Moved, incomplete, obsolete parts

would be nice improvement for v2 - parts filter working in whole library in all categories

Cheers
Mindaugas

RE: Using LDCad - Philippe Hurbain - 2018-04-11

(2018-04-11, 10:19)Mindaugas Wrote: where is located Spring Shooter 15301c01?
Look for 15400 instead (https://brickset.com/parts/design-15400 : Bricklink's 15301c01 is not formally exact). Note that there is also a shortcut with preloaded arrow (15400c01).
Quote:would be nice improvement for v2 - parts filter working in whole library in all categories
It does exist: go to top level of part bins panel, then click on the "search" bin (minifig with magnifier). There you can perform a search across the full library.

RE: Using LDCad - Mindaugas - 2018-04-11

(2018-04-11, 11:54)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-04-11, 10:19)Mindaugas Wrote: where is located Spring Shooter 15301c01?
Look for 15400 instead (https://brickset.com/parts/design-15400 : Bricklink's 15301c01 is not formally exact). Note that there is also a shortcut with preloaded arrow (15400c01).
Quote:would be nice improvement for v2 - parts filter working in whole library in all categories
It does exist: go to top level of part bins panel, then click on the "search" bin (minifig with magnifier). There you can perform a search across the full library.

Thanks again

RE: Using LDCad - Mindaugas - 2018-04-21

Hi guys,

I 'd like to know, is it possible to merge all submodels into one main model without loosing steps?

and for advance modeling, is it possible to make a part move on the next step
etc. on the fist step a pin is in the position one, on the next step - I need to push it deeper 

thanks

RE: Using LDCad - Roland Melkert - 2018-04-21

(2018-04-21, 12:13)Mindaugas Wrote: I 'd like to know, is it possible to merge all submodels into one main model without loosing steps?
Yes:
n   (nested mode)
Put mouse cursor inside the source window.
ctrl+a  (select all, will trigger warning)
ctrl+c  (copy selection)
ctrl+n  (new model)
(mouse still inside source window)
ctrl+v
click anywhere near the top of the source window.

Only downside (arguable a bug) it will also copy the multiple author lines from all the submodels.

ps: You'll need 1.6b for this as it fixed a bug regarding to nested copy/paste.

(2018-04-21, 12:13)Mindaugas Wrote: and for advance modeling, is it possible to make a part move on the next step
etc. on the fist step a pin is in the position one, on the next step - I need to push it deeper 
This can be done using buffer exchange.