SVG to pattern/texture workflow? (OR: How to get rid of anti-aliasing easily?)

SVG to pattern/texture workflow? (OR: How to get rid of anti-aliasing easily?)
HEY so I'm new to LDraw (and part authoring, of course), and I'm having a VERY tough time wrapping my head around texture mapping and subfiles. I'm an artist much more than a programmer, so everything's really confusing for me. It took me a couple days to even figure out how to recolor polygons.

My primary issue is that I've already made a PNG and an SVG version of a custom texture of a lego torso. Converting the PNG is simple, but it has this nasty white line around the outside that looks really bad, stemming from the anti-aliasing? It's passable on lighter colors, though. Using solid would fix the border issue, but if you zoom in it'd look pretty icky, I think, unless the image size was super high.

So I was wondering if any of you could explain to me how I could work around the issue of the ugly white borders, preferably without having to scrap the art I already made and start over from scratch.

I assumed using a vector was the right way to go, since vectors don't have anti-aliasing in the first place, but I quickly ran into the issue of how to actually apply it to the model. It's really easy to texture minifigs with the stud.io part editor, but for a reason that is unclear to me (I'm sure it's a real good one) the SVG wouldn't work. If there's another file type I could use, or something, that'd be amazing, but I'm really at a loss right now! Attached are the textures I made, if that would be of any help in figuring out the issue!!

As a side note: is it OK to post completely custom textures/models in the Ldraw unofficial parts list? (As in, parts that were designed by me, and not LEGO.)

Thank you so much for the help...!
RE: SVG to pattern/texture workflow? (OR: How to get rid of anti-aliasing easily?)
Hi Daz,
Welcome here!
(2019-12-30, 9:14)Daz Wrote: Attached are the textures I made, if that would be of any help in figuring out the issue!!
Looks like the attachment didn't make it completely, could you please try to post them
Quote:As a side note: is it OK to post completely custom textures/models in the Ldraw unofficial parts list? (As in, parts that were designed by me, and not LEGO.)
No, LDraw library is supposed to contain only standard parts, not custom ones. But feel free to post here the link to any custom parts repository you create!
RE: SVG to pattern/texture workflow? (OR: How to get rid of anti-aliasing easily?)
(2019-12-30, 14:20)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hi Daz,
Welcome here!
Looks like the attachment didn't make it completely, could you please try to post them
No, LDraw library is supposed to contain only standard parts, not custom ones. But feel free to post here the link to any custom parts repository you create!
It's good to be here!
Gotcha!! Thanks for the info, I'll probably make a drive link or something with my custom parts later on, then!
Trying to attach again, it looks like SVG files aren't allowed, I'll just put up a drive link!
here!!
(2019-12-30, 20:34)Daz Wrote: It's good to be here!
Gotcha!! Thanks for the info, I'll probably make a drive link or something with my custom parts later on, then!
Trying to attach again, it looks like SVG files aren't allowed, I'll just put up a drive link!
here!!
Thanks, but can you share also the torso and texture file showing the dreaded white line?
(2019-12-30, 21:49)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Thanks, but can you share also the torso and texture file showing the dreaded white line?
Ahh my bad, I misunderstood!! I also apparently don't understand how attachments work, pfft

.dat   yucky white line.dat (Size: 192.66 KB / Downloads: 2)

.png   mando chest 1.png (Size: 46.43 KB / Downloads: 82)
(2019-12-30, 22:01)Daz Wrote: Ahh my bad, I misunderstood!! I also apparently don't understand how attachments work, pfft

Your file uses Studio texturing, which is a non-standard extension to LDraw that (as far as I know) is only supported by Studio.
(2019-12-31, 3:15)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Your file uses Studio texturing, which is a non-standard extension to LDraw that (as far as I know) is only supported by Studio.

If I apply your texture to a part using the official !TEXMAP commands, it seems to look mostly ok (although the edges don't exactly line up). (Note that I renamed your image file to manda_chest_1.png.)

Attached Files
.dat   mandalorian.dat (Size: 827 bytes / Downloads: 9)
.png   manda_chest_1.png (Size: 46.43 KB / Downloads: 58)
(2019-12-31, 3:29)Travis Cobbs Wrote: If I apply your texture to a part using the official !TEXMAP commands, it seems to look mostly ok (although the edges don't exactly line up). (Note that I renamed your image file to manda_chest_1.png.)
Ahhh, thank you so much!!
The other methods I was trying out were excessively difficult, like... Drawing in blender with polygons and filling the shapes on the model itself in LDPartEditor, or turning out weird, like filling the rest of the png black.
I guess I'll just have to wrap my head around !TEXMAP, pick apart some files, and figure it out the legit way.

It's a shame that studio texture formats don't work right though, it's really convenient.
(2019-12-31, 3:29)Travis Cobbs Wrote: If I apply your texture to a part using the official !TEXMAP commands, it seems to look mostly ok (although the edges don't exactly line up). (Note that I renamed your image file to manda_chest_1.png.)
There was 1 issue, I didn't seem to have the "s\973pa9s02.dat" file, so I replaced it with one I had in the repository and it [edit: Didn't work. I should really check before posting responses.] Confused me for a minute there, but I'm just not good at this, ahaha
what is "s\973pa9s02.dat" by the way?? I couldn't find it on the site either, unless I'm just blind.
(2019-12-31, 7:34)Daz Wrote: There was 1 issue, I didn't seem to have the "s\973pa9s02.dat" file, so I replaced it with one I had in the repository and it [edit: Didn't work. I should really check before posting responses.] Confused me for a minute there, but I'm just not good at this, ahaha
what is "s\973pa9s02.dat" by the way?? I couldn't find it on the site either, unless I'm just blind.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't notice that subfile use in the part I started with. This one should hopefully work.

Attached Files
.dat   mandalorian.dat (Size: 752 bytes / Downloads: 4)
(2019-12-31, 21:16)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Sorry, my bad. I didn't notice that subfile use in the part I started with. This one should hopefully work.
Ahh no, it's fine!! I managed to figure it out by picking apart other part files (after a bit of headache) last night, then promptly blacked out. Thank you so much for the help, though, you absolute saint!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »