Gerald's Parts and Pieces Thread

Gerald's Parts and Pieces Thread
I will use this thread to post my own requests and use it also to provide supporting material for others.

I am starting with Emmet's head in Foil (3626cp8f.dat)

Finally it turned up!
After countless tries to get the head rolling smoothly on the scanner I have to following two pictures that got pretty well:

You can see that there is an area on the side where there is no "aluminium foil"
Re: Gerald's Parts and Pieces Thread
This means the file on PT needs to be reworked...
How have you done the "rolling on scanner"?

/Max
I put 5 heads together to get a stable, round stick.

I use a book with a wide back to move the stick of heads, doing it by hand does not give a stable enough speed.

Then I tried several resolutions, but finally I did scan with 400 DPI which gave me a decent speed that I could follow without too many hickups...

...must have looked a bit funny...
Interesting (and funny!) method...
Interesting pictures, but I would rather have some photos of frontside and backside.
These are not useable in LPC. Or, have you seen any good ones on the interweb?
I think I have to recreate the silver pattern. The current part is totally wrong.
I can do some more pictures of the head, will try to upload them before Christmas!
Re: Gerald's PPT > 18675 Dish 6 x 6 Inverted - No Studs with Handle
Here's a rough sketch of this fairly recent 2015 part, I have not seen anybody working on it, please tell me if you do so.

Attached Files
.dat   18675.dat (Size: 2.01 KB / Downloads: 1)
.dat   18675s01.dat (Size: 2.58 KB / Downloads: 1)
No work on this part here!
BTW, any news about 20310?
I have a few days off now, I found also some problems in the geometry of my model, so time to finish 20310 :-)
The part does not exist without patterns at the moment.

I uploaded the 18675.dat without patterns and broke it down to a parent without top (s00) and two sub-files for the rim, s01 which is 1/8 without the handle and s02 with half of the handle.

If I would use the same base for s01 and s02 I would need another subfile as s01 needs different edge lines, any opinion?

Origin: I think it should sit at the 0 plane? Or shall it be touching the 0 plane with its top?
Do you think you, or your son, can find him again? Or has Emmet found an even better disguise?
Emmet turned up! He was where he should have been, in the box labelled "LDRAW"

Here are the additional pictures

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Awesome!
Re: Gerald's PPT > Nexo Knights Book Base (24324)
I am working on that part now to complement the cover.

Now to the origins. The base part has basically three main origins
The Handle where the Minifig can grab it
The Studs where the it basically should be according to the rules.
The Pivot Point of the book cover.

In my opinion the best (for the base) would be the middle of the handle, what do you think?
For the cover still the pivot point, plus a !HELP line to align it. This origin would also help when turning the cover open.
Re: Gerald's PPT > Nexo Knights Book Base
I's indeed put origins in the middle of each part cylinder...
Re: Gerald's PPT > 87745, Pin Joiner with Fin > issue with radius
I started this part actually a (long) while ago, without LDPE. Now I added the finishing touches in LDPE uploaded it again and while reviewing Magnus pointed out that it is not withing the system, i.e. the radius of the full circle center line is 151 LDU, to be precise it is 150,826834 LDU.

Now there is a second Part, 32016, using the same angle, but joined with axles.

I first built the full circle with LDCad's auto-snapping and I ended up with the same discrepancy, a circle with a radius of 150,82.

Using real parts, I got only two of 87745 but enough 32016, a semicircle fits neatly without force into Technic holes spaced 300 LDU (15 holes) apart.

Here's a picture of 87745 and 32016 on top of each other, a perfect match:

And here's an overlay of a circle (4-4edge) with a radius of 150 LDU over 32016:

You can see the problem there, the vertex of the 1/16th section does not meet the end of the part...

Now what to do? Changing 32016 would break existing models, no good IMHO. I would opt to make 87745 fit the 32016 as both can be interchanged...

What's your opinion?
There is no reason for the circle diameter to be "on system". Distance between middle hole and connector end is exactly 30ldu, angle is exactly 22.5°. This gives a radius of 30/sin(11.25)=153.775 ldu (not 150,82 - and not 150 either). LDCad completely agree as you can see on this snapshot.

And the fact that 8 pieces IRL fit nicely in a 15L beam (300 ldu) is down to the play in the parts. Right?
I think so. 8 pieces need about 17 connexions, each with its own play...
Oh, this Selection Info is really cool stuff!

Yes, the holes are a bit further out from the center.

The radius I calculated is from the center of the 2L axle, respectively the Technic Pin connecting the elements. If I select opposing axles or pins I get a distance of 301.64 LDU

As Magnus wrote, the play of the parts will play a role that it will fit the 300 distance.

So I keep it as is

Thanks for your input!
Re: Gerald's PPR > Working on 22888 Plate 4 x 8 Round Double
I just started this part and while doing it I noticed that Part 30565, "Plate, Round Corner 4 x 4" has an issue that a stud is actually intersecting the inner portion of the wall. Should be changed sometime.
If I understand you correctly, it seems that 3 studs intersect the inside curved wall, and part 6003 is also affected the same way.
Exactly, that is the issue with them
It is missing more than stud cavities. (Note that the LDD mesh is also missing them.)

Re: Gerald's PPT > Sandclock (Elves)
Set 41137 from the Elves Sets features a nice new part, a sand-clock.
Unfortunately the number on the part is molded so small, I cannot read it...

The part is pretty nice to do with LDPE with a combination of CSG and Pathtruder tools.

I did the sketch with a hi-res sphere, however on the one hand I think it is too much as the file is now (without subfiling to e.g. a quarter) about 2500 lines long... but on the other hand a smooth look is also not bad...

Edit:
PS: I am still wondering how all of the pink sand fits into the bottom sphere ;-)
Rollercoaster Track Pieces > 26022
I started the rollercoaster pieces with the short rail.

PS: Strange snapshot error...
RE: Rollercoaster Track Pieces > 26022
Good luck Gerald Wink
(2018-03-02, 14:36)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I started the rollercoaster pieces with the short rail.
Gerald, what's the status for rollercoaster part modeling? I should get them soon...
(2018-04-24, 14:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-03-02, 14:36)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I started the rollercoaster pieces with the short rail.
Gerald, what's the status for rollercoaster part modeling? I should get them soon...

I should finish this one in one or two days, did some heads inbetween.
Shall be up tonight, Cond-Lines missing.

.png   26022_Clean_V21.png (Size: 57.36 KB / Downloads: 345)

I just noticed (from pictures) that the 8L and 16L versions do not share the middle sections.

So I might have done some surplus sub-filing. Currently three of them, End, Middle and End-Middle section.
(2018-04-26, 7:27)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Shall be up tonight, Cond-Lines missing.
I just noticed (from pictures) that the 8L and 16L versions do not share the middle sections.
So I might have done some surplus sub-filing. Currently three of them, End, Middle and End-Middle section.
Looks very good. Though I doubt that the flat top on bars was worth modeling...
(2018-04-26, 12:11)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-04-26, 7:27)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Shall be up tonight, Cond-Lines missing.
Looks very good. Though I doubt that the flat top on bars was worth modeling...

The flat part is "necessary" for the cart to roll. :-)
If the flat top is not there the wheel would intersect with the bar.
(2018-04-26, 12:17)Gerald Lasser Wrote:
(2018-04-26, 12:11)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Looks very good. Though I doubt that the flat top on bars was worth modeling...

The flat part is "necessary" for the cart to roll. :-)
Then it was VERY worth ;D
Note to self: don't criticise without parts in hands!
...a new track part!
https://youtu.be/_FMNbRm0wDM?t=48s (the straight slope).
(2018-04-26, 17:50)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...a new track part!
https://youtu.be/_FMNbRm0wDM?t=48s (the straight slope).
That one makes it really versatile. To go up in a proper straight and not in an s-motion (like the monorail :-))
RE: Gerald's Parts and Pieces Thread
I did part 35700 from the Series 18 Figs and based it on 61780.

When doing the measurements they were slightly off, so I have made three versions, as seen in th epicture:

a) Yellow, based on the pure 61780 design (low line cout, just 47)

b) Orange, proper sized fingers for stacking (64 lines in subfile, plus 104 lines -> optimize to 64 in main Sub, 15 in finger sub, 60 in main file)

c) exact replica with quarter cutouts on the fingers (64 in main sub, 60 in finger sub, 68 in final file)

I would go for (b), what do you think?
Is it just me (I'm using my tiny phone screen) or the picture is missing?
Edit: Now using my computer - the picture IS missing Wink
(2018-05-06, 17:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Is it just me (I'm using my tiny phone screen) or the picture is missing?
Edit: Now using my computer - the picture IS missing Wink

...mmhhh, added the comparison Cool
Quote:I would go for (b), what do you think?
Agreed...
(2018-04-26, 13:01)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2018-04-26, 12:17)Gerald Lasser Wrote: The flat part is "necessary" for the cart to roll. :-)
Then it was VERY worth ;D
Note to self: don't criticise without parts in hands!
OK, now I (finally!!!) do have the parts in hands and still don't see the need for the flat top: lower part of wheel is about 2 mm above the bars!
(2018-05-16, 11:18)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: OK, now I (finally!!!) do have the parts in hands and still don't see the need for the flat top: lower part of wheel is about 2 mm above the bars!

Which wheels did you try? EDIT: I see them on the PT! :-) , ok those are smaller in diameter

I used the ones from the Black Panther Set 76099
4600 - Wheel Holder
50254 Train Wheel, Small

That's how it works out when putting the cart on the rail, pretty tight

(2018-05-16, 19:47)Gerald Lasser Wrote:
(2018-05-16, 11:18)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: OK, now I (finally!!!) do have the parts in hands and still don't see the need for the flat top: lower part of wheel is about 2 mm above the bars!

Which wheels did you try? EDIT: I see them on the PT! :-) , ok those are smaller in diameter

I used the ones from the Black Panther Set 76099
4600 - Wheel Holder
50254 Train Wheel, Small
That's how it works out when putting the cart on the rail, pretty tight
Ah, get it now... wondering if it would work fine with curved tracks, rail/whell flange clearance is pretty low. Fortunately in 76099 distance between axles is low.
Starting S slope 34738...
(2018-05-17, 18:31)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Starting S slope  34738...
Now on parts tracker, doing 26559/26560
Why do some tracks have a cutout for the wheel, and some don't?
(2018-05-24, 20:58)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Why do some tracks have a cutout for the wheel, and some don't?
There are two different forms: flat tracks have a flat area on top of sleepers, while sloped tracks have a reinforcement at the base of rails and the sleepers are accordingly shorter. Top level of this reinforcement is a bit lower than top of sleepers, providing some clearance for 50254 wheels. While I don't have these wheels physically, ldraw model fits sloped tracks.

.dat   25059.dat (Size: 2.46 KB / Downloads: 11)

.dat   25059s03.dat (Size: 5.47 KB / Downloads: 9)
.dat   25059s04.dat (Size: 5.46 KB / Downloads: 8)
Hi
I have recently bought the Lego Roller Coaster and I would like to build a bigger one, so I've been following the latest new parts with interest. I thought I would have a go at compiling one of the other rail pieces. I have spoken to Willy and he suggested putting my file on this thread so you guys could tell me if I am going in the right direction. It is the long straight rail section 25059. I imagine Gerald is already on to this, but I thought it was a good one to start learning with. As Gerald said the centre sections are at a different angle and the centre strut has a slightly longer flat facet, so two S files were needed. The end sections and first strut are the same as the short one. It is not complete as I have not got my head around Condlines. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards
hazydavy
(2018-06-06, 15:30)hazydavy Wrote: I have recently bought the Lego Roller Coaster and I would like to build a bigger one, so I've been following the latest new parts with interest. I thought I would have a go at compiling one of the other rail pieces. I have spoken to Willy and he suggested putting my file on this thread so you guys could tell me if I am going in the right direction. It is the long straight rail section 25059. I imagine Gerald is already on to this, but I thought it was a good one to start learning with. As Gerald said the centre sections are at a different angle and the centre strut has a slightly longer flat facet, so two S files were needed. The end sections and first strut are the same as the short one. It is not complete as I have not got my head around Condlines. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi hazydavy,
Welcome here, and big apologies for missing your post! Yes, your part looks good. As for the condlines, if you used LDPE, it is not that complicated. On each subfile and main file, run Edger2 (Tools -> Edger2 -> option Exclude unmatched edges -> OK). That should do the trick.
20455 Gyrosphere Part
I am now finalizing the spherical part right now and I am at pretty good point right now. I subfiled the sphere to reduce size.

That gives some interesting issues.

It looks very good on LDView, I do not see the seams between the subfiles:

However, if I render with Studio (with Custom Parts) I do see a seam between the subfiles, see the "cross" pattern at the front, at the top the seam is between parts, that is ok:

Any idea how I can avoid those?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 20455 Gyrosphere Part
(2019-06-06, 9:08)Gerald Lasser Wrote: However, if I render with Studio (with Custom Parts) I do see a seam between the subfiles, see the "cross" pattern at the front, at the top the seam is between parts, that is ok
Yuck... Can you share the files?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »