OMR Model Render

OMR Model Render
Now that I've implemented Lasse's WebGL renderer on the PT, what is the feeling of expanding it to the OMR? Is anyone particularly attached to brigl? Why?
RE: OMR Model Render
There is one huge advantages with brigl: It is able to render with light sources and smooth surfaces. This does wonders for realism, as opposed to the building instructions-focused cell shading. I personally find this important for proper presentation of LEGO models. This is in the pipeline for buildinginstructions.js. However. I do not know when this feature will be added as I only have 2-3 hours each evening to work on projects.

While there have been a lot of performance improvements in buildinginstructions.js, I still have to measure it against the renderer on OMR (and to be fair, also Mecabricks): Both loading time, rendering time and storage should be compared.

The optional features buildinginstructions.js brings to the table are:

• Logos on studs
  • Optional lines (line type "5": Those around the cylinders of studs and other rounded surfaces)
  • Use IndexedDB to cache parts for quicker loading
  • In-browser Generated simple primitives for even quicker loading (stud.dat, 4-4edge.dat, etc.)

New features can of course be added - both pull requests, GitHub issues and direct messages are accepted Smile
For what it's worth, I agree the lit rendering is better on the OMR.
I am currently working on 3 improvements for the buildinginstructions.js project. One of these is more realistic rendering. 

[Image: IDarxYs.png]
As you can see, I have a lot of work ahead of me. Currently there are 3 tasks which have to be finished:

1) Proper computation of normals. In the picture above I have used the built-in normal calculation. There is another post on this forum where we discuss normals, and I will be implementing a custom normal calculation which ensures hard edges where we have lines of type 2.

2) Rendering of special materials. I am currently pretty happy with how rubber is rendered. However. Having proper rendering of chrome and metal will require both a proper environment map, and other textures. My hope is that I will end up with some really neat looking parts, but this is unfortunately a new area for me.

3) Reflections, shadows and floor should be added. There are tutorials showing how to do this with three.js and I just have to find the time to do this right... unless someone else want to take it on and create some pull requests  Wink
Awesome,

Thanks for all the work you have done and continue to do. I look forward to the results.
I'm the one who thanks for all the great parts and tools! This is simply my way of giving a little back.

I think I have the edges under control now:

[Image: fZvNUmL.png]
The next step will be surfaces - they have to be roughed up.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »