[LDPatternCreator] Release 1.7.1 (better rotation / usability / triangulation)

[LDPatternCreator] Release 1.7.1 (better rotation / usability / triangulation)
Lightbulb 
Hi,

today, I decided to finish more features for LDPatternCreator. Here is the result!

Download and install the latest LDPatternCreator release directly from sourceforge.net.

Change log:

New features:
  • Rotation will be applied around the selected vertex which is the nearest to the cursor (except for primitives, subfiles and groups)
  • A click on "Select" cancels "Add vertex" / "Add triangle" ...
  • "Remove isolated vertices" is always visible and enabled on the toolbar
  • "Fast triangulation II" is renamed to "Create new vertices during triangle creation"
  • "Fast triangulation" is now always active by default (can be temporarily deactivated by pressing CTRL or cancelled with RMB)

Fixed bugs:
  • Fast triangulation suggested the wrong edge on longer triangles
  • A rare error occured during triangle creation

As always, I included a short readme.htm in the installation directory.

Cheers & Leg Godt

Nils
RE: [LDPatternCreator] Release 1.7.1 (better rotation / usability / triangulation)
Excellent! Thanks, Nils!
RE: [LDPatternCreator] Release 1.7.1 (better rotation / usability / triangulation)
(2019-06-10, 20:15)Nils Schmidt Wrote: Hi,

today, I decided to finish more features for LDPatternCreator. Here is the result!

Download and install the latest LDPatternCreator release directly from sourceforge.net.

Change log:

New features:
  • Rotation will be applied around the selected vertex which is the nearest to the cursor (except for primitives, subfiles and groups)
  • A click on "Select" cancels "Add vertex" / "Add triangle" ...
  • "Remove isolated vertices" is always visible and enabled on the toolbar
  • "Fast triangulation II" is renamed to "Create new vertices during triangle creation"
  • "Fast triangulation" is now always active by default (can be temporarily deactivated by pressing CTRL or cancelled with RMB)

Fixed bugs:
  • Fast triangulation suggested the wrong edge on longer triangles
  • A rare error occured during triangle creation

As always, I included a short readme.htm in the installation directory.

Cheers & Leg Godt

Nils

Thank God I have not downloaded the 1.7.0 version yet.
The rotation around a vertex I would have needed more often.
I'm looking forward to try it.
If nothing goes right, go left.
Everything is awesome... Big Grin

Thank you for this update.
Now that was a real sprint!

The rotation around vertices is great! Looking forward to test it out, I was missing this dearly and always tried to construct symmetrical triangles to rotate something around a defined center :-)
I made a quick video showing a simple pattern creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vax5vvJH_Rs
Enjoy!
(2019-06-11, 12:12)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I made a quick video showing a simple pattern creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vax5vvJH_Rs
Enjoy!

That's a perfect example for the "Give Back" headliner on the homepage!
(2019-06-11, 12:12)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I made a quick video showing a simple pattern creation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vax5vvJH_Rs
Enjoy!

Interesting! I would have created curves first to get the same distance (and to better control the shape of the curve) between the vertices and then filled with triangles.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2019-06-11, 13:02)Willy Tschager Wrote: Interesting! I would have created curves first to get the same distance (and to better control the shape of the curve) between the vertices and then filled with triangles.

w.

Me too. ;-) And I had removed the vertex inside at the stars centre. ;-)

But it's impressive how fast this was done. I'm sure, that I would need more time to do that pattern.

All in all it's great to have such a short example video. Maybe this can be used for the wiki?

/Max
(2019-06-11, 13:02)Willy Tschager Wrote: Interesting! I would have created curves first to get the same distance between the vertices and then filled with triangles.
Since curvature is not constant, there is no real benefit to keep the same distance.
Quote: (and to better control the shape of the curve)
What I haven't shown is that I check the shape using preview option (P) and correct areas that don't look smooth enough. (outside preview mode, triangulation lines prevent to properly see smoothness).

(2019-06-11, 13:13)Max Martin Richter Wrote: And I had removed the vertex inside at the stars centre. ;-)
Me too... when I don't forget Wink

Quote:All in all it's great to have such a short example video. Maybe this can be used for the wiki?
No problem on my side, just wanted to see that nobody spotted major flaws. I wanted to add some text comments, but I can't find again how to do that in Youtube editor (is it possible at all?)
What screen-recorder did you use?
(2019-06-11, 14:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote: What screen-recorder did you use?
Icecream screen recorder (pro version, about 30€). Previously I used OBS (free), but I had many issues with it - including a not so obvious user interface.
recommended free screen recorder software: Captura
after long search and testing lots of shitty or expensive screenrecorder
programs, I finally landed at the free tool "Captura", which is
free and just wonderful.

I can warmly recommend it.
Enjoy!

OK, that is interesting to see. I am tentatively beginning to work a bit with LDPC and this helps a lot to understand.
I am used to working with vectors creating this kind of shapes, but cannot quite grasp it in LDPC.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-11, 19:44)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: OK, that is interesting to see. I am tentatively beginning to work a bit with LDPC and this helps a lot to understand.
I am used to working with vectors creating this kind of shapes, but cannot quite grasp it in LDPC.

I am having difficulties with snapping vertices to the grid.
To put it simply: it does not work for me.
When I draw a triangle that needs to have straight horizontal and vertical lines, the vertices do not snap to where I click.

Is there a way to align vertices?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-13, 6:15)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: I am having difficulties with snapping vertices to the grid.
When I draw a triangle that needs to have straight horizontal and vertical lines, the vertices do not snap to where I click.

Which Grid settings Do you use?
(2019-06-13, 8:07)Johann Eisner Wrote: Which Grid settings Do you use?

Standard, I guess. Never changed anything there.

.png   ldpcprefs.png (Size: 68.58 KB / Downloads: 54)

I started my project again and now seems better.
Still learning....
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-13, 8:57)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Standard, I guess. Never changed anything there.

I started my project again and now seems better.
Still learning....
I always work with move snap 10.
(2019-06-13, 6:15)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: I am having difficulties with snapping vertices to the grid.

Mmhhh... I see no way of NOT snapping on grid. What is your "move snap" value? a very low value could explain problems.
Otherwise, you can align vertices (select them then merge to average (x or y) ). Problem is that it's an average, so you end off grid! I'd prefer that, like rotate, these merge occured on value of nearest to cursor vertex! (hint, hint, Nils Wink )
(2019-06-13, 8:09)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Mmhhh... I see no way of NOT snapping on grid. What is your "move snap" value? a very low value  could explain problems.
Otherwise, you can align vertices (select them then merge to average (x or y) ). Problem is that it's an average, so you end off grid! I'd prefer that, like rotate, these merge occured on value of nearest to cursor vertex! (hint, hint, Nils Wink )

Ok, seems better now somehow. I am making the sticker with "UNITED STATES" for the 10266 Moonlander set.
So the letters U, D and S are a bit more complicated due to the curves, but I think I got it right.

Next question: do I need to create the stickers with round edges?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-13, 9:01)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Next question: do I need to create the stickers with round edges?
They seem pretty sharp. Not worth the trouble imho.
(2019-06-13, 9:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: They seem pretty sharp. Not worth the trouble imho.

OK, however judging this, they seem round

Looking at some other stickers (like 4216816a.dat) they have rounded egdes too.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2019-06-13, 9:54)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: OK, however judging this, they seem round

Looking at some other stickers (like 4216816a.dat) they have rounded egdes too.

Some progress:

Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
From V 1.7.0:
New features:
  • Auto-corrections for primitive data when loading a file
Does that mean that primitives are broken down into triangles when reloading the file?
In V1.7.1 it's like this.
(2019-06-11, 20:45)Johann Eisner Wrote: From V 1.7.0:
New features:
  • Auto-corrections for primitive data when loading a file
Does that mean that primitives are broken down into triangles when reloading the file?
In V1.7.1 it's like this.

Sorry my mistake. Angry

This only happens if the file is saved in V1.7.1 and opened with V1.6.9.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »