LDraw OMR website

RE: LDraw OMR website
(2016-10-11, 8:12)Willy Tschager Wrote: Merlijn,

I'd like to update the models shipped with the AIOI. Please select two models from every theme - I suggest a small one and the largest (most complex) - and store them in a dedicated folder. Take the current AIOI structure for reference. Finally send them to me or post them here. I would also be good, if you could update them first, in case they contain unofficial parts which have become certified in the meantime.

Thanks, w.

I'm very, very busy at the moment, I don't have time to do that now. You could download the files yourself too, right?
I was also planning to upload a little backlog of models last week, but other things got in the way too.

This is a bit off-topic, but a few days ago I realized: it's perfectly possible to have 1 or 2 more OMR admins on the website, so why am I the only one? I don't mind to be the only one, but it's not as efficient as having an extra pair of hands Wink 
The framework supports multiple users and roles and such. So, I was actually thinking of adding 1 or 2 other people as admin (any suggestions?) and cleaning up the code and putting it on Github.
(2016-10-14, 14:07)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: You could download the files yourself too, right?

Sure, but since you're in charge of the OMR I'd like to leave it to you when it comes down to models. Since I already have some samples in the AIOI I leave everything as it is right now and hope for your next time frame :-)

(2016-10-14, 14:07)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:  
The framework supports multiple users and roles and such. So, I was actually thinking of adding 1 or 2 other people as admin (any suggestions?) and cleaning up the code and putting it on Github.

Right, any suggestions? If you don't have some names in mind call for volunteers.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
So, I realized I never told anyone here, but since a few weeks, 'Roland Dahl' is also admin on the OMR site. I was very busy last weeks/months and I wasn't able to give a lot of attention to the website (or Lego/LDraw in general). But, Roland volunteered to help, which I really appreciate. Thanks Roland!  Smile

I'm planning to clean the current code of the website, fix a few minor bugs and make the thing open-source. Hopefully I can get it done in a few weeks. There are also a couple of features which have been on my mind since the start, which I never incorporated. Maybe I can work on that too, during the upcoming holidays. Who knows. If I just can get this stupid python package installed in the env my new IDE created Dodgy
Ok, I don't know if anyone would even notice ( Wink ), but the omr site is kind of not working at the moment. Just a heads-up that we know it and are trying to solve it.
Orion and I (although, especially Orion, since he has access to the server) are looking into it. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Aside from the problems getting it to work:
I sent Orion a completely new version of the website, most notable changes are:
  • A working browser-based WebGL viewer (using Brigl)
  • The use of the Rebrickable API instead of relying on manual input of set-info. That makes it a 1000x easier and faster for admins to add files.
There are a few rough edges here and there (although, mostly in the background regarding admin stuff and the Rebrickable API), but I wanted to get it up and running because the old site was having some problems.
(2017-02-09, 8:19)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Ok, I don't know if anyone would even notice ( Wink ), but the omr site is kind of not working at the moment. Just a heads-up that we know it and are trying to solve it.
Orion and I (although, especially Orion, since he has access to the server) are looking into it. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Aside from the problems getting it to work:
I sent Orion a completely new version of the website, most notable changes are:
  • A working browser-based WebGL viewer (using Brigl)
  • The use of the Rebrickable API instead of relying on manual input of set-info. That makes it a 1000x easier and faster for admins to add files.
There are a few rough edges here and there (although, mostly in the background regarding admin stuff and the Rebrickable API), but I wanted to get it up and running because the old site was having some problems.

Everything should work now. The brigl render even works on my iPhone. I am getting a weird error with Safari on my laptop when I try to download a file (something about insufficient disk space) but it works on my iPhone so I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with my machine.
Hi all,

I was wondering : is the OMR still maintained or is it dead?

I have also a remark/request: Following a conversation we had one or two years ago about inlining the non-official parts to make the models OMR compliant.
I was against it but did it anyway. Now there are many models that have parts inlined who have been made official without changing number or orientation. That would be a huge work to find them and update the models. Is there something we can do to help on finding the models with those parts? Like a page listing the models that need to be updated (because they have parts that have been made official)?
(2017-07-11, 20:33)Damien Roux Wrote: Hi all,

I was wondering : is the OMR still maintained or is it dead?

I have also a remark/request: Following a conversation we had one or two years ago about inlining the non-official parts to make the models OMR compliant.
I was against it but did it anyway. Now there are many models that have parts inlined who have been made official without changing number or orientation. That would be a huge work to find them and update the models. Is there something we can do to help on finding the models with those parts? Like a page listing the models that need to be updated (because they have parts that have been made official)?

It's certainly not dead, but at the moment I'm kind of the only admin. The previous version also had Roland Dahl as admin, but now that I think of it, I never made him admin again in the new version  Sad 
And my available free time fluctuates so every now and then there's a burst of models uploaded and then silence again. If you'd like to help, feel free.

About the unofficial parts -> official part conversions. It is something I thought about in the past. And the fact that official parts are inlined is not really a problem, better to have inlined parts than incorrect/no parts at all. But I agree that if possible, inlined parts that can be removed should be removed. I don't know if there are any python programmers here, but if you can write a little script that reads an LDraw file, checks for inlined parts and if they're already official (and if they did not change orientation), that can be used on the site.

Any objections to putting the site on Github? The OMR is not my... finest work  Tongue , but that way anyone can help if anyone wants to.
Would it be possible to sort files by the date they were added to the OMR?
(2018-01-02, 9:45)Damien Roux Wrote: Would it be possible to sort files by the date they were added to the OMR?

+1
(2018-01-02, 9:45)Damien Roux Wrote: Would it be possible to sort files by the date they were added to the OMR?

That would certainly be possible. I wanted to overhaul the filter page for a while now, but haven't actually found the time yet. But quickly adding a sort option shouldn't take that long. I'll see if I can make something this weekend  Smile

FYI: I haven't had the time to overhaul the filter-page, but I've made a quick filter option for in the meantime. I sent it to Orion to to put on the server  Smile
Would it be possible to add a "Sorry, set not in database" along with a back button instead of:

Code:
Page not found (404)
Request Method:
GET
Request URL:
http://omr.ldraw.org/set/892-1/
Raised by:
omr.views.set_page
Set not found
You're seeing this error because you have
[code]DEBUG = True
in your Django settings file. Change that to
Code:
False
, and Django will display a standard 404 page.
[/code]

when a set couldn't be found?

Thx, w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-01-08, 14:36)Willy Tschager Wrote: Would it be possible to add a "Sorry, set not in database" along with a back button instead of:

Code:
Page not found (404)
Request Method:
GET
Request URL:
Raised by:
omr.views.set_page
Set not found
[code]DEBUG = True
Code:
False
[/code]

Thx, w.

Well, the problem isn't that the fact that the 404 page is missing, because there has been a custom 404 page since the beginning. The problem is that one way or another, debug isn't turned off anymore (which it definitely should on production cause it shows A LOT of data as you can see when you try to look at a file that doesn't exist...) and thus it doesn't use the 'nice' 404 page and logic.

Ahum, Orion, could you also turn of debug please? Thanks!  Wink
(2018-01-08, 17:05)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2018-01-08, 14:36)Willy Tschager Wrote: Would it be possible to add a "Sorry, set not in database" along with a back button instead of:

Code:
Page not found (404)
Request Method:
GET
Request URL:
Raised by:
omr.views.set_page
Set not found
[code]DEBUG = True
Code:
False
[/code]

Thx, w.

Well, the problem isn't that the fact that the 404 page is missing, because there has been a custom 404 page since the beginning. The problem is that one way or another, debug isn't turned off anymore (which it definitely should on production cause it shows A LOT of data as you can see when you try to look at a file that doesn't exist...) and thus it doesn't use the 'nice' 404 page and logic.

Ahum, Orion, could you also turn of debug please? Thanks!  Wink

Yes. I plan on updating the OMR tonight (Pacific time).
(2018-01-08, 14:15)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:

FYI: I haven't had the time to overhaul the filter-page, but I've made a quick filter option for in the meantime. I sent it to Orion to to put on the server  Smile

This update is now live

Code:
Page not found (404)
Request Method:
GET
Request URL:
Raised by:
omr.views.set_page
Set not found
[code]DEBUG = True
Code:
False
[/code]

Thx, w.

This is now fixed.
Thanks!  Big Grin
Thumbs up!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »