[LDPE] 1.8.62 Released (bugfix for PrimGen2, bugfix for TEXMAP)

[LDPE] 1.8.62 Released (bugfix for PrimGen2, bugfix for TEXMAP)
Hey,

this release includes three bugfixes.
One corrects the condlines which are generated by PrimGen2 for all tori types.
The problem: the condline coordinate was calculated in a different way than the coordinate of the quad, which resulted in minor differences.

The other two bugfixes are solving display problems with TEXMAP. I noticed the issues while I was checking 2454aps5.dat.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]

As always, you can download LDPE from this page:

http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:

(3 bug fixes)

With this release the following critical issues are fixed:

1. The generated condline coordinates for the Torus from PrimGen2 did not match the coordinates of the generated quads.
  2. The transparency calculation for TEXMAP images was incorrect on the old OpenGL 2 renderer.
  3. Fallback geometry in TEXMAP sections was shown (in LDraw Standard render mode with the old OpenGL 2 renderer).

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, something can go wrong in about 140.000 lines of code.

Installation on Windows:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_win32_x64.zip
  2. Run LDPartEditor-1.8.62.msi
  3. Start LDPartEditor from the start menu
Installation on Linux:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_linux_x64.zip
  2. Install ldparteditor_1.8.62-1_amd64.deb
  3. Start LDPartEditor from the menu or via launcher
Installation on Mac OS X:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_mac_x64.zip
  2. Mount LDPartEditor-1.8.62.dmg
  3. Drag LDPartEditor.app to the Applications folder
  4. Copy ldparteditor.sh to your home folder
        4a. Open a Terminal.app and run ./ldparteditor.sh
        4b. Or open a Terminal.app and run /Applications/LDPartEditor.app/Contents/MacOS/LDPartEditor

I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (64-bit): Windows [7 or newer], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7,8,10, Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • OpenGL 3.3 compatible Graphics Card
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
  • For a faster start, LDPartEditor and the LDraw™ library should be installed on an SSD.
RE: [LDPE] 1.8.62 Released (bugfix for PrimGen2, bugfix for TEXMAP)
As a user I want LDPE to start up in full screen or at least in the state I closed the prog or the status I saved under "Save User Settings..."

w.
LEGO ergo sum
As a user I'd like to have a Line size 5, 6, 7 button
As a user I'd like to have a customizable Line size button where I can set the thickness of the line myself.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-09-06, 14:21)Willy Tschager Wrote: As a user I want LDPE to start up in full screen or at least in the state I closed the prog or the status I saved under "Save User Settings..."

w.

Thanks, I created issue #931.
(2022-09-08, 10:55)Willy Tschager Wrote: As a user I'd like to have a Line size 5, 6, 7 button
As a user I'd like to have a customizable Line size button where I can set the thickness of the line myself.

w.

Thanks Willy. I created issue #929 and #930.
Can there be an LDPE auto-updater? I think it would be pretty useful to just see if an update is out when you launch it, instead of having to regulary check the forum to see if there is a new version
RSS feed for new releases
(2022-09-18, 19:29)Max Murtazin Wrote: Can there be an LDPE auto-updater? I think it would be pretty useful to just see if an update is out when you launch it, instead of having to regulary check the forum to see if there is a new version

There was an update script, but I don't support this anymore. The effort for this feature does not justify its benefits.
You can subscribe to my RSS feed on sourceforge, if you like! (I know, I know, the kids do not use RSS these days ;) )

https://sourceforge.net/p/partcreator/activity/feed

Why I don't implement this: The auto-updater should be able to replace an existing installation in a secure manner, which is not so trivial!
LDPE is not a single file, which you can replace easily, it comes with a standalone runtime and additional native libraries.
RE: RSS feed for new releases
(2022-09-19, 19:56)Nils Schmidt Wrote: There was an update script, but I don't support this anymore. The effort for this feature does not justify its benefits.
You can subscribe to my RSS feed on sourceforge, if you like! (I know, I know, the kids do not use RSS these days Wink )

https://sourceforge.net/p/partcreator/activity/feed

Why I don't implement this: The auto-updater should be able to replace an existing installation in a secure manner, which is not so trivial!
LDPE is not a single file, which you can replace easily, it comes with a standalone runtime and additional native libraries.

perhaps a simple script to check the RSS for a new version and notify? with the ability to disable update checks as well.
As a user I'd like to see the D value of the distance meter not only shown in "LDU" but also in "mm" and "Stud":

D = 38.0000 LDU, 15.2 mm, 1.9 Stud

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Distance meter not only shown in "LDU" but also in "mm" and "Stud"
(2022-09-22, 9:02)Willy Tschager Wrote: As a user I'd like to see the D value of the distance meter not only shown in "LDU" but also in "mm" and "Stud":

D = 38.0000 LDU, 15.2 mm, 1.9 Stud

w.

I created issue #935.
You will be able to change the length of the distance meter (LDU + mm) in the selection tab, too.
The implementation result will be similar to this:

Code:
D  = 38.0000
Dmm= 15.2000
Dst= 1.9000

Dx = 38.0000
Dy = 0.0000
Dz = 0.0000
RE: Distance meter not only shown in "LDU" but also in "mm" and "Stud"
Many thanks Nils!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Is this correct or intended behaviour, using PrimGen2 in LDPE?

The 48\ is missing infront of the file name in mixed mode primitives.
The licence say "4.0"
And the control points are placed very far away, but only on one side.
Primgen2.X details
(2022-09-25, 11:29)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Is this correct or intended behaviour, using PrimGen2 in LDPE?

The 48\ is missing infront of the file name in mixed mode primitives.
The licence say "4.0"
And the control points are placed very far away, but only on one side.
  • I can't reproduce the 48\ error with LDPE 1.8.62 Sad
  • The licence switch to 4.0 was intentional by me. I don't know if this is problematic, since primitives are intended to be used by someone else.
  • The placing of the control points will define the plane of the condline. There is no "standard length" for the set of points to this day. The current implementation is basically the "most accurate", because it avoids the additional shortening of the result from the vector cross product. Therefore it looks a little bit strange!

Code:
0 Mixed-Mode Torus Outside  1 x 0.1333 x 0.125
0 Name: 48\tm08o1333.dat
0 Author: Nils Schmidt [BlackBrick89]
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_48_Primitive
0 !LICENSE Licensed under CC BY 4.0 : see CAreadme.txt

0 BFC CERTIFY CCW

0 // Major Radius: 15
0 // Tube(Minor) Radius: 2
0 // Segments(Sweep): 6/48 = 0.125
0 // 1 9 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4-4edge.dat
0 // 1 12 1 0 0 0.1333 0 0 0 0 0.1333 0 1 0 4-4edge.dat
RE: Primgen2.X details
(2022-09-27, 18:34)Nils Schmidt Wrote: The licence switch to 4.0 was intentional by me. I don't know if this is problematic, since primitives are intended to be used by someone else.

It's not really problematic but the change over hasn't happened yet in the Official Library,
(2022-09-27, 18:34)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
  • I can't reproduce the 48\ error with LDPE 1.8.62 Sad

Looks like something goes wrong when the "code" is moved from the PrimGen to the text editor in the save process.
I can see the 48\ in PrimGen, but after I click Save as, and it's showed in the editor, it's gone.

But if I instead click Ok in PrimGen, the code is showed in the editor and the 48\ is kept.
I can then save the file using Save as in the editor.
(2022-09-27, 20:25)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Looks like something goes wrong when the "code" is moved from the PrimGen to the text editor in the save process.
I can see the 48\ in PrimGen, but after I click Save as, and it's showed in the editor, it's gone.

But if I instead click Ok in PrimGen, the code is showed in the editor and the 48\ is kept.
I can then save the file using Save as in the editor.

Thanks Magnus! I created issue #936. It will be solved with the upcoming release in October 2022.
As a user I'd like to copy error/warning messages such as "Invalid use of 'BFC INVERTNEXT' /Flat subfile - line 13" to the clipboard to paste it to the PT.

BTW I don't have the slightest clue what the [numbers] behind the line numbers stand for.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Copy hints/warnings/errors to the clipboard
(2022-09-30, 8:42)Willy Tschager Wrote: As a user I'd like to copy error/warning messages such as "Invalid use of 'BFC INVERTNEXT' /Flat subfile - line 13" to the clipboard to paste it to the PT.

BTW I don't have the slightest clue what the [numbers] behind the line numbers stand for.

w.

Thanks Willy! I created issue #937. It will be part of the next LDPE release.

The [numbers] indicate the absolute character position of the issue, this is more technical and not really necessary.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »