75192 Millennium Falcon

75192 Millennium Falcon
Hi all,

Because I probably won't ever build it for real, I began digitizing the 75192 Millennium Falcon just for fun.
Reaching step 378 I ran into something strange which is I think an illegal connection?

The red liftarm won't fit here?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: 75192 Millennium Falcon
There are a few other curious things I ran in to, like why they use two 1x4 tiles instead of one 1x8 at some stage.

And the usage of different colors at some stages of building mirrored sub-assemblies.

I find the choices LEGO makes a bit strange sometimes. Sure it has to do with pricing, amount of parts, availability, but sometimes I simply do not understand why they do what they do.

Example: in step 256 they use a DBG 1x10 plate somewhere. Then in step 294 in the mirrored subassembly this same 1x10 is suddenly LBG?
I see why some mirrored parts are different: the ship is not exactly mirrored either and I guess they try to mimic damage, repairs and modifications and stuff, but sometimes it does not make sense. (where most of the time it does make perfect sense though why they use certain parts and colors)

Still: the model is superb and techniques used fantastic and very clever, like we'd expect from our Danish friends with such a model.

Once finished I'll post the LDraw model here (which should take a while...)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-13, 12:18)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Reaching step 378 I ran into something strange which is I think an illegal connection?
Confirmed... If I build the model in LDCad, the distance between pins is 42.4 ldu. Situation is worse with LDD: pin holes are a bit closer to top of Technic brick (a well known LDraw approximation) making the diagonal pins even further apart at 43.1ldu. In any case, LDD refuses to fit the diagonal beam!

...good luck with this HUGE model!

Attached Files
.lxf   falcon.lxf (Size: 8.11 KB / Downloads: 33)
.ldr   falconldd.ldr (Size: 1.56 KB / Downloads: 31)
.ldr   falconldraw.ldr (Size: 726 bytes / Downloads: 30)
Jaco, do you have the sticker sheet scanned somewhere? would be good to do them as well.
There is also a new cone piece, 10x5x somehting... for the windscreen...
(2017-10-13, 14:29)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Jaco, do you have the sticker sheet scanned somewhere? would be good to do them as well.

Actually I found it at Brickowl. But at low resolution.
I made texture map parts for almost all parts.

Can someone provide a higher res image?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-13, 13:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 12:18)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Reaching step 378 I ran into something strange which is I think an illegal connection?
Confirmed... If I build the model in LDCad, the distance between pins is 42.4 ldu. Situation is worse with LDD: pin holes are a bit closer to top of Technic brick (a well known LDraw approximation) making the diagonal pins even further apart at 43.1ldu. In any case, LDD refuses to fit the diagonal beam!

Thanks.
Isn't strange that LEGO uses a connection like this?
I know they use illegal connections now and then, but still it is strange.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-13, 17:24)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 13:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Confirmed... If I build the model in LDCad, the distance between pins is 42.4 ldu. Situation is worse with LDD: pin holes are a bit closer to top of Technic brick (a well known LDraw approximation) making the diagonal pins even further apart at 43.1ldu. In any case, LDD refuses to fit the diagonal beam!

Thanks.

Are you sure it's "illegal"? It seems to me purely by looking at the picture that the click hinges should have plenty of give to make this connection work fine in real life, without deforming parts over time.
(2017-10-13, 17:19)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 14:29)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Jaco, do you have the sticker sheet scanned somewhere? would be good to do them as well.

Actually I found it at Brickowl. But at low resolution.

In the (PDF) instructions about half the stickers are in a very good quality, one corridor is missing and two other sticker (damage. and one I cannot assign)
(2017-10-13, 19:46)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 17:24)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Thanks.

Are you sure it's "illegal"? It seems to me purely by looking at the picture that the click hinges should have plenty of give to make this connection work fine in real life, without deforming parts over time.

The connection with real parts is under no stress at all, the 3L Liftarm slides on the axles like butter. No force at all
(2017-10-13, 19:46)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 17:24)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Thanks.

I was not sure it was illegal, but since it didn't fit digitally I thought it might be.
With real LEGO it is surely possible, like Gerald says.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
WIP

.png   75192-subModel-11.png (Size: 177.1 KB / Downloads: 371)

.png   75192wip141017_2.png (Size: 303.72 KB / Downloads: 352)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-13, 22:31)Gerald Lasser Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 17:19)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Actually I found it at Brickowl. But at low resolution.

In the (PDF) instructions about half the stickers are in a very good quality, one corridor is missing and two other sticker (damage. and one I cannot assign)

Ah, found it.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Really good progress! And you did the stickers :-) Great!
May not be illegal strictly speaking, remains that the 3L beam pulls on the L-beams. Either there is some stress in the parts (since there are many connexions (thus play) implied in the link, the stress may be low) or the angle between Technic bricks is not 90°...
(2017-10-13, 12:18)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hi all,

Because I probably won't ever build it for real, I began digitizing the 75192 Millennium Falcon just for fun.
Reaching step 378 I ran into something strange which is I think an illegal connection?

Hi 

I have tried my best last weeks to create lxf for this 75192, so now I share this with community.
Hope it might be helpful for some of you...

[Image: 75192.png]

[color=#3d6594]LXF File  (LDD 4.3.10)[/color]

Errors:
  • Missing  all new parts specific to this model ( half cone 10x5x6...) and some not avalaible in LDD...= most replaced by custom solution.

• Due to complexity and huge number of parts, not all parts are perfectly in place ( I guess almost 90 to 95 % are OK)=> only with the back part of cockpit which should be connect to the center of ship I give up :-(

• No stickers

• Minifigs are not 100% accurate
Jaco, I made the large cockpit cone of the Falcon, it is on the Parts Tracker. Only the one without pattern though, still waiting for pictures :-)

[Image: 29096.png]
(2017-10-21, 20:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Jaco, I made the large cockpit cone of the Falcon, it is on the Parts Tracker. Only the one without pattern though, still waiting for pictures :-)

[Image: 29096.png]
Thanks! I Made Some more progress and will continue tomorrow
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
I got now pictures from the printed parts, the dish is done, dish with handle and cone remains to be done
(2017-10-28, 23:33)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I got now pictures from the printed parts, the dish is done, dish with handle and cone remains to be done

Great. I have reached step 550, page 231 ;-)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-30, 14:53)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2017-10-28, 23:33)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I got now pictures from the printed parts, the dish is done, dish with handle and cone remains to be done

Great. I have reached step 550, page 231 ;-)

That translates into % of pages or % of steps?

I did not even look at the PDF...
(2017-10-30, 17:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote:
(2017-10-30, 14:53)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Great. I have reached step 550, page 231 ;-)

That translates into % of pages or % of steps?

I did not even look at the PDF...

The whole book is 468 pages.
Instructions starting on page 20 to 460 and end at step 1379.
So not really half way there at steps but at half the pages.
Many steps take only one or 2 bricks to put on and steps are mostly numbered sequentially.
Some submodels start with new step stepnumbers.
In my model I make all submodels and add all steps. Lot of work but still fun to do mainly to see if the model can be done digitally and all techniques are buildable.
Alas, that is not the case. Some parts do not fit digitally correct, where with real LEGO does fit.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2017-10-14, 7:17)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: WIP

Hello, I,m D.J
How to get sticker file?
(2017-10-13, 12:18)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hi all,

I didn't realize you had started this and started it myself (I'm not very far). Do you still have this file somewhere? What about the stickers you previewed above?
(2020-05-19, 14:38)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I didn't realize you had started this and started it myself (I'm not very far). Do you still have this file somewhere? What about the stickers you previewed above?

I do have the file and some of the parts with stickers and the images for stickers.
Somehow I lost some custom parts working on multiple computers and laptops.

Are you interested in finishing it? I can share the files for sure.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2020-05-19, 20:22)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: I do have the file and some of the parts with stickers and the images for stickers.
Somehow I lost some custom parts working on multiple computers and laptops.

Are you interested in finishing it? I can share the files for sure.

Since I can fill in dead time at work with LDCad, I can finish the build if you're not planning on it. I can only author at home so the stickers and other parts authoring I probably wouldn't do since I have other projects that I can only do at home.
(2020-05-19, 21:07)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Since I can fill in dead time at work with LDCad, I can finish the build if you're not planning on it. I can only author at home so the stickers and other parts authoring I probably wouldn't do since I have other projects that I can only do at home.

OK, I have shared my work with you. It's on Google Drive shared with your Gmail-address.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »