Webmasters: we need a new forum platform

Webmasters: we need a new forum platform
This forumis very anitquated it could use updating. May I suggest phpBB?
Re: Webmasters: we need a new forum platform
You may suggest it, but phpBB is kind of crappy so we won't be using it. We like threaded messages here and Phorum is one of the few packages that offers them.

Could you explain what features phpBB offers (and you are missing) that the current forums do not?

Tim
I like this forum software, despite its quirks
One of the worst thing is that it shows only one message at a time. I'm ok with threaded threads, but it should display more messages. Having to request a new page for each message is unoptimal, given also that the server is not very fast (here it takes about 10 second to open a page). I often loose track of the discussion.
Maybe we don't speak of the same thing, but here I see a complete thread with all messages?!
Please try setting your prefered options in the control center
http://forums.ldraw.org/control.php?6,panel=forum
I didn't know you could do that. It definitely makes for easier reading. Thanks!

Lugnet had those nice "Entire thread on one page" links on each page, so at least I found them there.

Allen
Given how long it takes to load a page, I think perhaps this should be the default. I know I set my profile to display messages this way, and it appears that a number of people weren't aware it was possible. I suspect most people would prefer the "all messages for a thread on one page" mode.
I had no idea there was a 'one post' view. It's been threaded for me since I got my account.

I think Orion is underwater again so it's up to Willy or me to try to find the setting to make that the default. I'll sniff around.

EDIT: I sniffed around but couldn't find anything. It might require server access to change. Which unfortunately means I can do nothing but add it to the list.

Tim
Code:
I had no idea there was a 'one post' view.

I like that view, so I can focus on the current post. Smile
The default for visitors (with no account) is to show one post at a time, with all the message titles for the thread shown below. When I changed my setting for "Message reading display options" to "Default", it reverts to this behavior. However, the fact that it has "Default" as an option (in addition to the specific options, one of which is chosen when you select "Default") at least implies that there should be some way somewhere for the webmaster to define what "Default" means.
I noticed the "Default" in my own settings, but couldn't find anywhere to set its value in the admin panel. It wouldn't surprise me if it's set by editing a file.

Tim
If the consensus is to change the default to the flat post style, it's changable in the admin panel. I'll look into this in a bit.

P.S. I'm not underwater, I'm in the land if painfully crappy internet.
I like the threaded view much better (for the context)
and even would like to suggest to change the non-logged-in default view
from currently "1-post" to "threaded"
Michael Heidemann Wrote:Please try setting your prefered options in the control center
http://forums.ldraw.org/control.php?6,panel=forum

Yes that's what i wanted! Thanks, so much better now
The only problem is that now it's hard to tell which posts are new in a topic. There's only a very small "new" beside the post, it is hard to see when you're scrolling. An highlighted background for the post would be great Smile
IMHO the red and bold "new" is enough.
I can see this in an acceptable way on my phone and my computers as well.

/Max
Well, not so much the forum software, the theme could use some changes, though. It could be made to emulate the LDraw.org look and feel a bit.

Oh, and why is the server so slow?
Right. So what you said first was not only not useful, but not even true. Perhaps next time you want to make a suggestion you should think it through, and offer some constructive suggestions rather than pointless blanket statements. That would help everyone.

Anyway... we probably could make the forum look much more like the website. But that would take a lot of work and we are all busy people. Since having a forum that works is more useful that one that looks pretty I'm sure we can survive the branding failure. I'm willing to accept any genuine practical help though.

The server speed is a genuine issue, and hopefully can be remedied sometime. But for now we are reliant on voluntary contribution of server.

Tim (on behalf of himself for the first paragraph and the webmasters for the remainder)
Syncing the Main site and forums themes is on the list but up until recently I've had very little time to work on it. Also, I'm a programmer and not a website design guy so if you have experience and want to help, I'd be happy to let you.

The server speed issue seems to be a recent development since I left the US. Since my internet where I'm at is painfully slow, I haven't really noticed. I'll see what I can do.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »