Background color for sticker substrate

Background color for sticker substrate
Moving this http://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?t...81#pid3781 over here:

Quote:The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape sticker is in), oriented such that the top face is at -0.25 Y and parallel with the X-Z plane. The pattern is on the top face; the other (five) sides of the box correspond to main background colour of the sticker pattern (i.e. the predominant colour of the pattern at its edges). If there isn't a predominant colour at the edges of the sticker, the actual colour of the sticker material should be used instead (usually white).

to

Quote:The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape sticker is in), without any linetypes 2 (edgelines) and coloured with main color 16. The sticker is oriented such that the top face is at -0.25 Y and parallel with the X-Z plane. The pattern with the hardcoded colours is on the top face.

Thoughts? What comes to my mind is how do we tight the first paragraph to the second, counting in that color 16 in patterns is allowed only for transparent colors. I'd like to - if possible - separate the pattern from the substrate. To make it short the first paragraph defines the substrate, the second the pattern.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: Background color for sticker substrate
This may lead to some confusion regarding the second paragraph. There we say that color 16 can only be used in the pattern itself for the transparent region of transparent stickers. However, having the sides and back be in color 16, but forbidding it for the background color of the printed region to me seems wrong.

Also, the second sentence of the second paragraph is already somewhat misleading, given that that paragraph later disallows using color 16 for the background color. Specifically, the second sentence talks about "All printed colour", and the background itself isn't printed. But then it goes on to say that color 16 can be used only for the transparent part of transparent stickers. If we're going to change the box to be color 16, I think we should require the background of the printed surface to also be color 16.
Okay let's see how it can be solved:

Quote:The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape sticker is in), oriented such that the top face is at -0.25 Y and parallel with the X-Z plane. The pattern is on the top face; the other (five) sides of the box correspond to main background colour of the sticker pattern (i.e. the predominant colour of the pattern at its edges). If there isn't a predominant colour at the edges of the sticker, the actual colour of the sticker material should be used instead (usually white).

to

Quote:The sticker is a 0.25 LDU thin box (or whatever shape sticker is in), without any linetypes 2 (edgelines) and coloured with main color 16. The sticker is oriented such that the top face is at -0.25 Y and parallel with the X-Z plane. The pattern with the hardcoded colours is on the top face.

and

Quote:The sticker pattern is modelled by real colour; they are not modifiable from the outside. All printed colour of the pattern must be matched. Mimicking a colour by blending in the background colour of the part underneath using colour 16 is not allowed. Colour 16 is exclusively allowed for a transparent portion of the pattern, so that the sticker can be attached to any color parts and still blend in. Since edges are forbidden in sticker parts, colour 24 is not allowed.

to

Quote:The sticker pattern is modelled by real colour; they are not modifiable from the outside. All printed colour of the pattern must be matched. Mimicking a colour by blending in the background colour of the part underneath using colour 16 is not allowed. Since edges are forbidden in sticker parts, colour 24 is not allowed.
LEGO ergo sum
Are we talking top level sticker files only here?

Cause I could imagine part authors wanting to recycle base patterns using sub (sticker) files in which col 16 is used as part of the core pattern.
If it weren't for the fact that it used to say what it did, I think what you suggest would be great. However, given that we explicitly disallowed color 16 for the background of the printed pattern before (except for transparent stickers), it might be better to explicitly require it now (in the second paragraph). Like so:

Quote:The sticker pattern is modelled by real colours; they are not modifiable from the outside. All printed colours of the pattern must be matched, and the background (non-printed portion) of the pattern must use colour 16. Mimicking a colour by blending in the background colour of the part underneath using colour 16 is not allowed. Since edges are forbidden in sticker parts, colour 24 is not allowed.
We're talking about the final result (which is the top-level sticker file). It's still perfectly legitimate for that top-level stick to be composed of sub-parts that are designed to be reused in patterned parts, as long as the final result in the sticker file itself follows the specification.
Fine for me. Let's see what it does:

[Image: 013.jpg]

The "Pizzeria" sign would have: RED and GREEN, while the transparent background is Color 16

[Image: 017.jpg]

TV in WHITE, the sign in MEDIUM_BLUE, the Rest in BLUE, the thin box (box5-12.dat - Cuboid with 5 faces missing all edges) is Color 16

[Image: 045.jpg]

Fort Legoredo in WHITE with BLACK border, filling in BLUE, outer black border BLACK, outer sticker rim in BLUE, box in Color 16.

I can live with that.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Reading Travis' wording again:

' Wrote:All printed colours of the pattern must be matched, and the background (non-printed portion) of the pattern must use colour 16.

It does exactly what Steffen is asking for:

[img]www.brickfactory.info%2Fscans%2F06000%2F6769%2F045.jpg[/img]

The sticker sheet's background is WHITE, the outer rim of the flag is also WHITE and to me it is clear that it is not printed. Therefore it would be authored with color 16. While the BLUE in the Fort Legoredo Sticker goes beyond the stickers border and does not match the WHITE of the sticker substrate it has to be modeled with color 1. Thoughts?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Looks like the discussion has died down an I'm going to call for a vote in the next days.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »