Rework of part 4485

Rework of part 4485
Hello,

I wanted to do the patterned versions of the old minifig baseball cap (part 4485), so I looked into the official file to see how it could be sub-filed.

While doing this, I discovered a slight difference to the real part regarding the angle of the bill and a few proportion issues. The LDD version seems to be somewhat closer to the real part:

Do you think this part should be entirely reworked or should I just try to sub-file the old version for the patterns?

I already did a simple clean-up of the LDD part, however there are still a few issues with the stud connector and the question if the top part can or should be replaced with a sphere primitive (it connects to a lot of non-primitive areas so it will probably look odd in some resolutions).

Attached Files
.dat   4485bs01.dat (Size: 20.39 KB / Downloads: 1)
.dat   4485b.dat (Size: 3.62 KB / Downloads: 1)
RE: Rework of part 4485
(2024-09-08, 15:50)Chris Böhnke Wrote: Do you think this part should be entirely reworked or should I just try to sub-file the old version for the patterns?

I think we should obsolete the old file. It's in need of a complete rework anyway.
Don't bother with primitives. The only needed primitive is the understud. And don't divide it.
Ok, so naming the new one 4485b.dat is correct?

I will rework the understud and put it on the Parts Tracker.
I then should submit a 'fix' for the original file to put it to obsolete?
(2024-09-08, 19:07)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I think we should obsolete the old file. It's in need of a complete rework anyway.
Don't bother with primitives. The only needed primitive is the understud. And don't divide it.

dont divide the prim or dont divide the new file?
(2024-09-08, 20:13)Chris Böhnke Wrote: Ok, so naming the new one 4485b.dat is correct?
I then should submit a 'fix' for the original file to put it to obsolete?

Yes, 4485b is correct

Yes to the second. Simply put a "~" in front and "(Obsolete)" at the end of the description and add "Obsolete" as the CATEGORY.
(2024-09-08, 21:17)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: dont divide the prim or dont divide the new file?

The understud prim.
The new version is on the PT.

I tried to upload the obsoleted old file, however the PT won't let me upload it, because it's BFC CW.

Can I simply correct that and try again or is it more complicated in this case?
(2024-09-08, 21:58)Chris Böhnke Wrote: The new version is on the PT.

I tried to upload the obsoleted old file, however the PT won't let me upload it, because it's BFC CW.

Can I simply correct that and try again or is it more complicated in this case?

Flip the winding and submit.
Done.
Thanks at all for the help Smile
Thank you for putting in the work!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »