Forum threaded view will be discontinued.

Forum threaded view will be discontinued.
Broken threading is getting out of hand. Rather than try to bolt on a fix to what is already a custom plugin, I'll be changing the forums to flat posting style starting Saturday, 1/7. This will get us used to the transition since the next version of the forum software will not support threading.
RE: Forum threaded view will be discontinued.
(2023-01-04, 15:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Broken threading is getting out of hand. Rather than try to bolt on a fix to what is already a custom plugin, I'll be changing the forums to flat posting style starting Saturday, 1/7. This will get us used to the transition since the next version of the forum software will not support threading.

Cry

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2023-01-04, 15:49)Willy Tschager Wrote: Cry

w.

+1
Sorry. I like threading too. The reality of the situation is that almost all forum software moved on from threading long ago. It's time to rip off the bandaid.
If there's a bright side, it might at least be easier to find unread posts. Right now, I can go to the first unread post in a thread, or the most recent post in a thread, but anything in between those is liable to be missed. (I can always go to "Today's Posts", but it's not obvious there what's unread.)
(2023-01-04, 15:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Broken threading is getting out of hand. Rather than try to bolt on a fix to what is already a custom plugin, I'll be changing the forums to flat posting style starting Saturday, 1/7.

1/7? so we got 7 months left Big Grin

I will miss it, just hoping people will use decent (sub) quoting instead.
(2023-01-04, 22:10)Roland Melkert Wrote: 1/7? so we got 7 months left Big Grin

I will miss it, just hoping people will use decent (sub) quoting instead.

You know, I'm usually super careful to date format unambiguously. You caught me this time. 👍
Everyone gets a reprieve due to coding changes that have to happen and lack of time to do them.
Flat posting is now the norm.
If you want to quote a post, click the reply to that post. 
If you want to quote multiple posts: there a quote button, click it and the plus will change to a minus. Do this for all the posts you want to quote and click reply on the last post you want to quote or new reply at the bottom and all the posts will appear in the reply text box.
(2023-01-09, 22:38)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Flat posting is now the norm.

Just wondering, I noticed the reply button url still includes the message id it belongs to.

Is this still stored? Or is everything forced to reply to the main post of the thread.

Just feeding my ocd, as it would only be a real issue when you would ever want to go back to the tree view.
(2023-01-17, 21:20)Roland Melkert Wrote: Just wondering, I noticed the reply button url still includes the message id it belongs to.

Is this still stored? Or is everything forced to reply to the main post of the thread.

Just feeding my ocd, as it would only be a real issue when you would ever want to go back to the tree view.

Yes. The reply button serves two purposes: to quote the post you're replying to and to record the "parent" message. That said, don't expect threaded view to return. The new version of myBB will not have it and once PT development slows I'm probably going to switch us new forums software.
(2023-01-09, 22:38)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Flat posting is now the norm.

PSA for people who are used to the old threaded view, but use a link to jump to the first unread post: make sure to pay attention after the bottommost visible post for possible pagination.
(2023-01-18, 3:06)Travis Cobbs Wrote: PSA for people who are used to the old threaded view, but use a link to jump to the first unread post: make sure to pay attention after the bottommost visible post for possible pagination.

I've upped the default post display amount to 50. Travis's warning, however, still applies.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »