Studio Connectivity Data

Studio Connectivity Data
How is Studio's connectivity data stored? Is it documented in any way or in format that is/can be made readable?
RE: Studio Connectivity Data
(2022-07-03, 21:41)Orion Pobursky Wrote: How is Studio's connectivity data stored? Is it documented in any way or in format that is/can be made readable?

It’s stored in .conn files that basically shadow the main part file. They’re quite readable.
(2022-07-03, 23:29)N. W. Perry Wrote: It’s stored in .conn files that basically shadow the main part file. They’re quite readable.

I wouldn't really call those readable, the way data is stored in those is very confusing, and there's no documentation on it
(2022-07-03, 23:59)Max Murtazin Wrote:  I wouldn't really call those readable, the way data is stored in those is very confusing, and there's no documentation on it

They’re text files, aren’t they? I’m sure I have read them before.
(2022-07-04, 3:05)N. W. Perry Wrote: They’re text files, aren’t they? I’m sure I have read them before.

I found them. It's a binary format which is a bummer.

Edit: Part designer has text based files though but license inside them
(2022-07-04, 3:08)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I found them. It's a binary format which is a bummer.

What files you mean?
(2022-07-04, 11:24)Max Murtazin Wrote: What files you mean?

The collision files (.col) are text files. Pretty obscure nonetheless 😔
(2022-07-04, 13:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: The collision files (.col) are text files. Pretty obscure nonetheless 😔

Collision files are just that, collision files. There's really nothing actually useful about those since they are only used for collision check, and the way Part Designer generates those is usually pretty bad
Also they are at least more or less readable, I guess it is some strange way of describing collision boxes. Probably 5 numbers for it is just enough
(2022-07-04, 13:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: The collision files (.col) are text files. Pretty obscure nonetheless 😔

Why do they even need collision files? Testing mesh collision is a basic 3D task.
(2022-07-04, 15:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Why do they even need collision files? Testing mesh collision is a basic 3D task.

Studio is a very riddling piece of software, and lacks some basic optimization in many places, so I guess they simply have some problems with that easy of a thing
(2022-07-04, 15:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Why do they even need collision files? Testing mesh collision is a basic 3D task.
But many LDraw parts have no clear interior, eg. the studs lying on top of bricks... Maybe this requires more processing?
(2022-07-04, 3:08)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I found them. It's a binary format which is a bummer.

Maybe it's that I've edited them in Part Designer? I just know I've worked directly with the .conn files somehow. Perhaps nothing more that copy/pasting them to give connectivity to a patterned part, e.g.?
(2022-07-05, 1:37)N. W. Perry Wrote: Maybe it's that I've edited them in Part Designer? I just know I've worked directly with the .conn files somehow. Perhaps nothing more that copy/pasting them to give connectivity to a patterned part, e.g.?

PartDesigner finally decided to behave and open on my machine. If you create a part and save it, it's in text format. The relevant meta seems to be PE_CONN but there's no documentation on how to use it.
(2022-07-05, 1:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: PartDesigner finally decided to behave and open on my machine. If you create a part and save it, it's in text format. The relevant meta seems to be PE_CONN but there's no documentation on how to use it.

There's no documentation for much of anything in Studio. And we can't help write it because the format isn't open…
(2022-07-05, 1:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: PartDesigner finally decided to behave and open on my machine. If you create a part and save it, it's in text format. The relevant meta seems to be PE_CONN but there's no documentation on how to use it.

I wouldn't say so. For Studio to load connectivity it only needs to have .conn file matching in name
Presumably, if we can figure out the Meta commands, we can have something that can convert between LDCad and Studio metas. From there it would just be a matter of loading the part into PartDesigner and adding it to Studio. Even better would be to figure out the binary format and direct convert but that's a lot harder.

Maybe we can coerce the Studio team to document their custom Metas but I'm not holding my breath.
(2022-07-05, 13:44)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Presumably, if we can figure out the Meta commands, we can have something that can convert between LDCad and Studio metas. From there it would just be a matter of loading the part into PartDesigner and adding it to Studio. Even better would be to figure out the binary format and direct convert but that's a lot harder.

Maybe we can coerce the Studio team to document their custom Metas but I'm not holding my breath.

Are there many meta commands tho? I can only remember two, and only useful is the texture one. By the way, apparently Studio texture command can also do projection mapping, not only UV
(2022-07-03, 21:41)猎户座波布尔斯基 Wrote: Studio 的连接数据是如何存储的?是否以可读的方式或格式记录?

你解决这个问题了吗?
(2024-03-21, 11:43)dexun li Wrote: 你解决这个问题了吗?

Hi, dexun li, are you a real person or a spamming script?

The language of this forum is English, please use a local translation tool on your side before posting here.

It is annoying for users to have to translate posts from various languages on their own.

Mixing languages in the forum makes it difficult to read.
(2024-03-25, 14:36)Steffen Wrote: Hi, dexun li, are you a real person or a spamming script?

The language of this forum is English, please use a local translation tool on your side before posting here.

It is annoying for users to have to translate posts from various languages on their own.

Mixing languages in the forum makes it difficult to read.

the text translated is "Did you solve the problem?"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »