LDCad geometry

LDCad geometry
Hi everyone!
In last months I use LDCad a lot and I can use it quite fast, but I still have some troubles in geometry connections. The first and the main I would like to focus is the isosceles trapezoid. I know there are some tools and tricks, I know how to use the traingle angles to make a closed triangle, but for trapezoid this function does not make any sense. The goal is to connect the pink pins:

.png   sample.png (Size: 45.46 KB / Downloads: 85)

Now how can I use the existng functions to do it? Close the triangle to find the middle point? This is the first step I was thinking about...

.png   triangle 1.png (Size: 46.27 KB / Downloads: 85)
.png   triangle 2.png (Size: 31.57 KB / Downloads: 85)

This connection is very useful in many models with various lenghts. Here is what I need it for:

.png   42152 manual.png (Size: 80.78 KB / Downloads: 85)
RE: LDCad geometry
(2024-04-13, 18:56)Paweł Turalski Wrote: This connection is very useful in many models with various lenghts. Here is what I need it for:

There is currently no hard-coded helper for this, but it should be possible to make something using a macro.

The manual solution would be to position the smaller beam at the correct place using pythagoras. After that you can get the bottom trapezium angles using the angle helper. 

Example:

Assuming the two beams are parallel on the x axis the smaller beam,s y coordinate should differ by

√(80^2−20^2) = 77.4597
Ok found it! And I used only triangle tool yay! Big Grin
Others, note it please

You already know how many studs should it be tilted, the pin should be "somewhere" on the orange axle:

Add helper mirrored arm/lenght on the axis:

Construct a triangle, in this case the angle is 14.47751 - you can skip the helper:

Because you know the angle, tilt the opposite arm but with negative value, you can also delete the helper:

Move the upper base to close the shape:

I really hope it will be useful for other users in different models
And the plane problem has been solved Smile

(2024-04-13, 21:43)Paweł Turalski Wrote: Ok found it! And I used only triangle tool yay! Big Grin
Others, note it please

You already know how many studs should it be tilted, the pin should be "somewhere" on the orange axle:

Add helper mirrored arm/lenght on the axis:

Construct a triangle, in this case the angle is 14.47751 - you can skip the helper:

Because you know the angle, tilt the opposite arm but with negative value, you can also delete the helper:

Move the upper base to close the shape:

I really hope it will be useful for other users in different models
And the plane problem has been solved Smile

For your future reference, you may want to download the LUA scripts from this thread (or more quickly here is the link to the post within the thread that references the most recent download). The scripts provide a means to rotate either one or parts by pointing-and-clicking rather than calculating rotation angles.

Regards,

David
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »