Next update (22-03)

Next update (22-03)
It's looking like the next update will happen around the weekend of the 7th. I'd like to have the axle fix finished so that gives us 2 weeks to take care of the items on this list:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreviewsu...xleholefix

and address any items on the focus list that can be done.

Thanks for all the regular part reviewer efforts.
RE: Next update (22-03)
As there are some chrd and ering prims in the next batch of axleholes, I raised a question there on how to properly fit axleholes.

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23835-po...l#pid45678

so far Philo has replied, but I think it is something we should consider:

a) Not using chrd and ering in the axle prims
Let the user of the axlehole decide how to embed it, so the user can choose if it will be embedded in a ndis/ring and add the necessary 4-4ering themselves, or use triangles/quads

b) using chrd/ering in the axlehole prims
This would imply that an Axlehole is always embedded in a ndis/ring
Embedding it in surfaces would lead to overlapping surfaces
(2022-04-26, 21:04)Gerald Wrote: a) Not using chrd and ering in the axle prims
Let the user of the axlehole decide how to embed it, so the user can choose if it will be embedded in a ndis/ring and add the necessary 4-4ering themselves, or use triangles/quads

+1

I'm not a friend of "invisible" geometry anyway. The hack is intriguing but I'd like to leave it to the user.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-04-26, 21:04)Gerald Lasser Wrote: As there are some chrd and ering prims in the next batch of axleholes, I raised a question there on how to properly fit axleholes.

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23835-po...l#pid45678

so far Philo has replied, but I think it is something we should consider:

a) Not using chrd and ering in the axle prims

b) using chrd/ering in the axlehole prims
This would imply that an Axlehole is always embedded in a ndis/ring
Embedding it in surfaces would lead to overlapping surfaces

I don't have preference to either option. I will make a decision if consensus isn't reached but I'd rather not have to do that.
(2022-04-26, 21:04)Gerald Lasser Wrote: a) Not using chrd and ering in the axle prims
As said previously, I favor the axleholes without chrd/ering as this offers the maximum flexibility.
To me, this issue is raised a bit late.
I would have to rework all the files using the regular axlehole primitives once again.
But that doesn't stop us from changing the axl2hole prims. But it would perhaps hold back the next part release.
(2022-05-02, 19:17)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: To me, this issue is raised a bit late.
I would have to rework all the files using the regular axlehole primitives once again.
But that doesn't stop us from changing the axl2hole prims. But it would perhaps hold back the next part release.

Small delay is fine. We can shift 22-03 to the weekend of 5/21. Or I can do 22-03 and hold back the affected parts.
(2022-05-02, 18:51)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: As said previously, I favor the axleholes without chrd/ering as this offers the maximum flexibility.

I would like to see the axlehole prims without the invisible geometry as it can be added to the parent files if needed and give the flexibility to connect the axlehole prims to non curved surfaces without getting overlappings in hi res.
It looks like the consensus amongst senior reviewers is remove.

What's the preference for the update:
  1. Do the release this weekend and hold back the affected parts
  2. Delay the release 2 weeks and allow Magnus to issue a revision (which, honestly, I'd like to see others help with)
(2022-05-03, 14:21)Orion Pobursky Wrote: It looks like the consensus amongst senior reviewers is remove.

2. Delay the release 2 weeks and allow Magnus to issue a revision (which, honestly, I'd like to see others help with)

I'll start working.
(2022-05-03, 15:05)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I'll start working.

This will have an effect on three prims, axl2hole, axl2hol3, axl2ho10.

Should they all be changed to not use any ering, chrd or edge primitives?
(2022-05-03, 15:31)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: This will have an effect on three prims, axl2hole, axl2hol3, axl2ho10.
Should they all be changed to not use any ering, chrd or edge primitives?
I would remove erings and chrds. But edge prims are more questionnable. I think I'd keep them since they are supposed to match cylinders.
(2022-05-03, 14:21)Orion Pobursky Wrote: It looks like the consensus amongst senior reviewers is remove.

I vote for your 2nd suggestion.
(2022-05-03, 15:31)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Should they all be changed to not use any ering, chrd or edge primitives?

Yes, remove erings and chrds but let the edges there.
3 primitives and 2+13 subfiles and files are now updated, and no longer adapt to hi-res.

Please give them a review
(2022-05-03, 20:48)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: 3 primitives and 2+13 subfiles and files are now updated, and no longer adapt to hi-res.

Much thanks for your quick work Magnus.
(2022-05-03, 20:48)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: 3 primitives and 2+13 subfiles and files are now updated, and no longer adapt to hi-res.

Thanks a lot!
Thanks to Magnus's quick work, there are 6 files left for the axlehole fix that need more votes. I plan on getting the update done Saturday so let's get these to the finish line (I will delay if that doesn't happen)
I'd like to see the last 5 parts on the Parts Admin focus list addressed for the update.
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptreviewsu...?f=pafocus
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »