Duplo (and some other) Parts

Duplo (and some other) Parts
Some Duplo parts (and a handful of others) don't have a proper CATEGORY. Unless there's major objection, I plan on recycling and fastracking these parts to add one. I can post a list if desired.
RE: Duplo (and some other) Parts
(2022-02-18, 18:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Some Duplo parts (and a handful of others) don't have a proper CATEGORY. Unless there's major objection, I plan on recycling and fastracking these parts to add one. I can post a list if desired.
We discussed the possibility to create a new Duplo category. Maybe that would be the opportunity to do that?
(2022-02-18, 20:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: We discussed the possibility to create a new Duplo category. Maybe that would be the opportunity to do that?

The current official library definitely has parts that are in the Duplo category, although I don't know if that is due to their name or a !CATEGORY line. (My script that creates the parts library overview PDF for Willy separates parts by category, and Duplo is one of the categories.)
(2022-02-18, 20:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: We discussed the possibility to create a new Duplo category. Maybe that would be the opportunity to do that?

I think this is probably the way to go. We might consider having something more finely divide if that category gets to ridiculous.
(2022-02-18, 21:29)Travis Cobbs Wrote: The current official library definitely has parts that are in the Duplo category, although I don't know if that is due to their name or a !CATEGORY line. (My script that creates the parts library overview PDF for Willy separates parts by category, and Duplo is one of the categories.)

Duplo isn't on the list so it's being defined by first word. The other one with a few entries is String.
(2022-02-18, 21:58)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Duplo isn't on the list so it's being defined by first word. The other one with a few entries is String.

I'm not sure what list you are talking about. Does the PT have a list of valid categories, and it rejects files !CATEGORY lines that aren't in that list? If so, could it be updated to reject based on the first word if the file doesn't have a !CATEGORY line?
(2022-02-18, 22:33)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I'm not sure what list you are talking about. Does the PT have a list of valid categories, and it rejects files !CATEGORY lines that aren't in that list? If so, could it be updated to reject based on the first word if the file doesn't have a !CATEGORY line?

The list is in the !CATEGORY spec.

I did find the list in the PT code but IDK if the PT rejects invalid categories on submit or if there some other prior to release check.
Duplo will be added to the CATEGORY list.

The other 2 outliers are:

String for:
572a.dat (Update on Tracker)
572b.dat (Update on Tracker)
572c.dat
572c01.dat
572c02.dat
75924.dat
76384.dat
The updated parts use Figure Accessory

Roof for:
6121.dat
Other, similar parts use Slope.

Then there's light.dat which is on the Tracker and should probably use the new Helper class when PT functionality is implemented.
(2022-02-18, 22:44)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The list is in the !CATEGORY spec.

I did find the list in the PT code but IDK if the PT rejects invalid categories on submit or if there some other prior to release check.

I still don't understand the logic that allowed you to say this:
Orion Pobursky Wrote:Duplo isn't on the list so it's being defined by first word.

As it happens, none of the official Duplo parts has a !CATEGORY line, but I don't understand how you could infer that based on it not being on the category list if there is no automated checking of !CATEGORY lines in submitted parts.
(2022-02-18, 22:44)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The list is in the !CATEGORY spec.

I know, after testing, that DatHeader is checking that list and force an addition of a valid category if the first word isn't in the list.
Duplo is not in the list and if you check the parts, "Duplo Brick ..." use !Category Brick, "Duplo Plate ..." use !Category Plate, "Duplo Axle ..." use !Category Technic, and so on.
But I can also find some older part that don't have a Category line.
Almost all "Duplo Tile ... " are missing a category.
(2022-02-19, 6:29)Travis Cobb Wrote: I still don't understand the logic that allowed you to say this:

I wrote that weird. Let me try again.

Per the spec, the first word of the description should be used if a CATEGORY line is not present. Also, there is a list of approved categories that can appear in Official Parts. Therefore, while the Duplo parts have "Duplo" as the first word, giving them the implied category of "Duplo", "Duplo" was not on the approved category list until I added it yesterday. These parts are legal now. The same can't be said for String and Roof, the other 2 categories in the Official Library that aren't on the approved list. Those parts will be fixed and recycled soon.
(2022-02-19, 7:17)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I know, after testing, that DatHeader is checking that list and force an addition of a valid category if the first word isn't in the list.
Duplo is not in the list and if you check the parts, "Duplo Brick ..." use !Category Brick, "Duplo Plate ..." use !Category Plate, "Duplo Axle ..." use !Category Technic, and so on.
But I can also find some older part that don't have a Category line.
Almost all "Duplo Tile ... " are missing a category.

I think even with some of the Duplo parts having a category other than Duplo, there is still use in having a catchall Duplo category.
(2022-02-18, 18:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Some Duplo parts (and a handful of others) don't have a proper CATEGORY. Unless there's major objection, I plan on recycling and fastracking these parts to add one. I can post a list if desired.

I did some more poking around the library. There are parts with "<category> Duplo" (e.g. Figure Duplo) and "Duplo <category>". I prefer the former. In absence of a counter argument, that's what I'm going to go with.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »