Site search implemented

Site search implemented
Site search has been implemented for the main menu search bar. This turned out to be surprisingly easy. I'll reintegrate PT search shortly.
RE: Site search implemented
(2020-08-14, 17:54)re is no exact match.Orion Pobursky Wrote: Site search has been implemented for the main menu search bar. This turned out to be surprisingly easy. I'll reintegrate PT search shortly.

Did you change the default script on the PT menu? Previously, I am sure it deliberately called ptdetail.cgi, so that if the entered text exactly matched a file it deliberately went straight to the detail page. That script redirects to ptscan.cgi with scope=description if there is no exact match. Now the form calls ptscan.cgi directly with scope=header, which generates a list even if the text was a perfect match.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2020-08-15, 10:16)Chris Dee Wrote: Did you change the default script on the PT menu?

It seems like the PT is back in the state where it makes a search in the whole file.
A search on four digits gives a too long list of files, that contain the four digits somewhere in a vertex.

Please change it back.
(2020-08-15, 12:11)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: It seems like the PT is back in the state where it makes a search in the whole file.
A search on four digits gives a too long list of files, that contain the four digits somewhere in a vertex.

Please change it back.

That's what I said.
(2020-08-15, 13:10)Chris Dee Wrote: That's what I said.

Orion ???
(2020-08-16, 20:31)Chris Dee Wrote: Orion ???

I have some thoughts but I've been busy all weekend. I'll try to sit down tonight and reply properly.
I feel we need to have the search be as accessible and intuitive as possible. If someone searches for something using the provided search box, it should by default return relevant result for almost any keyword. With "part number and description" as the default, if you, for example, search for a Bricklink number you'll get nothing even though that part may exist in the library. This is why I changed the default to "header". I felt this would solve the problem nicely since all of the relevant information for a part is there.

As to the search box pointing to ptdetail instead of ptscan, I'll revert that.
(2020-08-17, 2:14)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I feel we need to have the search be as accessible and intuitive as possible. If someone searches for something using the provided search box, it should by default return relevant result for almost any keyword. With "part number and description" as the default, if you, for example, search for a Bricklink number you'll get nothing even though that part may exist in the library. This is why I changed the default to "header". I felt this would solve the problem nicely since all of the relevant information for a part is there.

As to the search box pointing to ptdetail instead of ptscan, I'll revert that.

I agree. Thanks for reverting ptscan -> ptdetail.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »