LDCad Problem exporting model to ldd

Problem exporting model to ldd
I'm making a Lego robot arm build guide in LDCad. But being a novice, I accidentally created a sub-model within the main build window. My finished model is now saved as 'LDraw Multi-Part Project' instead of as an LDraw file(*.ldr). I found my mistake after many hours of build when I finally tried to export my build guide to Lego Digital Designer, as it is the format I was expected to submit. When I try to import this file to Lego Digital Designer(LDD), LDD only looks for *.ldr files only. I want to save my sub-model as main model in LDCad with all the steps I used to create it. A search on the internet hasn't helped me find solutions. I really don't want to go back to the drawing board and spend many hours I barely have on building it again. Can anyone help?
RE: Problem exporting model to ldd
(2020-04-20, 22:27)Moe Wrote: I'm making a Lego robot arm build guide in LDCad. But being a novice, I accidentally created a sub-model within the main build window. My finished model is now saved as 'LDraw Multi-Part Project' instead of as an LDraw file(*.ldr). I found my mistake after many hours of build when I finally tried to export my build guide to Lego Digital Designer, as it is the format I was expected to submit. When I try to import this file to Lego Digital Designer(LDD), LDD only looks for *.ldr files only. I want to save my sub-model as main model in LDCad with all the steps I used to create it. A search on the internet hasn't helped me find solutions. I really don't want to go back to the drawing board and spend many hours I barely have on building it again. Can anyone help?

If the problem is merely the file type, you should be able to simply change the file extension from .mpd to .ldr.

If the problem is that you want to save your subfile as a standalone document, you can do that with Session->Detach this Subfile. You'll have the option to save it as a new file (and rename it properly).
(2020-04-20, 22:27)Moe Wrote: I'm making a Lego robot arm build guide in LDCad. But being a novice, I accidentally created a sub-model within the main build window. My finished model is now saved as 'LDraw Multi-Part Project' instead of as an LDraw file(*.ldr). I found my mistake after many hours of build when I finally tried to export my build guide to Lego Digital Designer, as it is the format I was expected to submit. When I try to import this file to Lego Digital Designer(LDD), LDD only looks for *.ldr files only. I want to save my sub-model as main model in LDCad with all the steps I used to create it. A search on the internet hasn't helped me find solutions. I really don't want to go back to the drawing board and spend many hours I barely have on building it again. Can anyone help?

Are all the bricks in one submodel?

If so LDD won't really care (just rename the mpd to ldr). This because it will read any LDraw content as a single model, ignoring any mpd instructions in the file.

If you did add bricks to multiple sub models you need to reorganize.

Go to the main model and select the submodel you want to 'dissolve', then right mouse click to open the selection menu and use reorganize/inline

If you want to go back to a clean ldr state you could also do:

- enter nested mode ( 'n' key while mouse is inside editing area). 
- ctrl+a (ignore message)
- ctrl+c
- Start a new file
- ctrl+v

I recommend making a backup copy before any this though.
(2020-04-20, 22:51)N. W. Perry Wrote: If the problem is merely the file type, you should be able to simply change the file extension from .mpd to .ldr.

If the problem is that you want to save your subfile as a standalone document, you can do that with Session->Detach this Subfile. You'll have the option to save it as a new file (and rename it properly).
I did as you said and detached the subfile, it did work but ldd removed a total of 135 bricks. 6 because it couldn’t be loaded and 129 because they were not placed correctly according to ldd. But I was very careful in placing the bricks zooming all the way in to make sure they are placed correctly.
(2020-04-20, 22:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: Are all the bricks in one submodel?

If so LDD won't really care (just rename the mpd to ldr). This because it will read any LDraw content as a single model, ignoring any mpd instructions in the file.

If you did add bricks to multiple sub models you need to reorganize.

Go to the main model and select the submodel you want to 'dissolve', then right mouse click to open the selection menu and use reorganize/inline

If you want to go back to a clean ldr state you could also do:

- enter nested mode ( 'n' key while mouse is inside editing area). 
- ctrl+a  (ignore message)
- ctrl+c
- Start a new file
- ctrl+v

I recommend making a backup copy before any this though.
Yes all the bricks are in one sub model. A sub model I created by accident.
How do you change the file type from *.mpd to *.ldr?
Edit: ok I managed to change the file type after a quick search on the internet but I am still facing the same problem I mentioned in the previous reply. Only this time I’m missing 142 bricks in ldd, because they can’t be loaded. Even more than I missed by detaching the subfile.
(2020-04-20, 23:35)Moe Wrote: Only this time I’m missing 142 bricks in ldd, because they can’t be loaded.

LDD can be extremly picky at this, but far I know you should be ok when using the default grid or part snapping in LDCad

Did you use a very fine grid while 'eying' it. This shouldn't be necessary as most bricks are aligned to multitudes of 10 (width and dept) and 8 (height). This is also the default grid stepping.

Using a fine grid might have placed things a fraction to far, which LDD won't tolerate.

You could try to select all and while the default grid is active (press 3 while the mouse is in the editing area) use the  placement/snap all to grid option from the right click selection menu.

But many parts might need manual adjusting afterwards.
(2020-04-20, 23:35)Moe Wrote: Yes all the bricks are in one sub model. A sub model I created by accident.
How do you change the file type from *.mpd to *.ldr?
Edit: ok I managed to change the file type after a quick search on the internet but I am still facing the same problem I mentioned in the previous reply. Only this time I’m missing 142 bricks in ldd, because they can’t be loaded. Even more than I missed by detaching the subfile.

Any chance you could attach your file here so we can see what's up? It may also be that you just have a bunch of parts that aren't available in LDD.
(2020-04-21, 0:06)Roland Melkert Wrote: LDD can be extremly picky at this, but far I know you should be ok when using the default grid or part snapping in LDCad

Did you use a very fine grid while 'eying' it. This shouldn't be necessary as most bricks are aligned to multitudes of 10 (width and dept) and 8 (height). This is also the default grid stepping.

Using a fine grid might have placed things a fraction to far, which LDD won't tolerate.

You could try to select all and while the default grid is active (press 3 while the mouse is in the editing area) use the  placement/snap all to grid option from the right click selection menu.

But many parts might need manual adjusting afterwards.
Yes, I used the normal grid but reduced it to 2’s. And a fine grid for some of those half width bricks. I also zoomed all the way in and checked it fitted properly by rotating the model and checking for any misalignment.
Correction: I used the small grid and further reduced to 2,2,2,5
Edit: I tried the 'Snap all to grid' option and as you said it has moved and rearranged a lot of the bricks.
(2020-04-21, 0:10)N. W. Perry Wrote: Any chance you could attach your file here so we can see what's up? It may also be that you just have a bunch of parts that aren't available in LDD.
I have attached the file. Note that a few sensors and the EV3 brick are yet to be attached. Ldd has also removed all the nxt parts out.
(2020-04-21, 0:25)Moe Wrote: I have attached the file. Note that a few sensors and the EV3 brick are yet to be attached. Ldd has also removed all the nxt parts out.

I don't see an attachment?
(2020-04-21, 1:33)N. W. Perry Wrote: I don't see an attachment?
ok, let me try it again.

One more question: how do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad? And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?

Attached Files
.ldr   RRR_Arm.ldr (Size: 37.28 KB / Downloads: 10)
(2020-04-21, 2:12)Moe Wrote: ok, let me try it again.

Got it! Well, everything looks OK on the LDraw side—looks like you've solved the submodel issue. So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

Just in some cursory web searching, I see there are issues with EV3 parts, specifically, being absent from more recent versions of LDD (here's one example). The workaround, unfortunately, seems to be to try and find an older install that you can revert to, or just switch altogether to a program that's still actively developed.
(2020-04-21, 2:34)N. W. Perry Wrote: Got it! Well, everything looks OK on the LDraw side—looks like you've solved the submodel issue. So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

Just in some cursory web searching, I see there are issues with EV3 parts, specifically, being absent from more recent versions of LDD (here's one example). The workaround, unfortunately, seems to be to try and find an older install that you can revert to, or just switch altogether to a program that's still actively developed.
Yes, I did solve the sub model issue, thanks to you all and your super fast response. And yes LDD 4.12 has an issue with EV3 support so I had to downgrade to version 4.11 which has EV3 support. I guess I'm gonna have to talk to my professor about submitting the ldr file as is.
One more question:
                               How do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad?
                               And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?
(2020-04-21, 2:46)Moe Wrote: One more question:
                               How do you unwind the connection cables in LDCad?
                               And how do you connect them to the EV3 ports, sensors and motors?

I don't know how you'd do it in LDD, honestly. But in LDCad that's a job for flexible parts, which you'll find in the Templates group in the part bin. For how to use them, they're introduced here (scroll down to "Dynamic Parts"; electric cables work the same way as the pneumatic hoses), and there are handy videos on YouTube.

If you could use Studio rather than LDD, the LDCad flexible parts can definitely be exported over to that program.
(2020-04-21, 5:16)N. W. Perry Wrote: I don't know how you'd do it in LDD, honestly. But in LDCad that's a job for flexible parts, which you'll find in the Templates group in the part bin. For how to use them, they're introduced here (scroll down to "Dynamic Parts"; electric cables work the same way as the pneumatic hoses), and there are handy videos on YouTube.

If you could use Studio rather than LDD, the LDCad flexible parts can definitely be exported over to that program.
OK, I will check it out. Thanks a lot for all your help in this, and for the quick responses. I have never been in a forum where my questions are promptly answered and clear solutions provided. You guys are amazing. Special thanks to you N.W. Perry.
(2020-04-21, 5:39)Moe Wrote: OK, I will check it out. Thanks a lot for all your help in this, and for the quick responses. I have never been in a forum where my questions are promptly answered and clear solutions provided. You guys are amazing. Special thanks to you N.W. Perry.

You're very welcome! This forum has always helped me in just the same way—and still does!—so I'm glad to pass on whatever advice I can. And your model looks pretty cool too, by the way. Smile
(2020-04-21, 5:46)N. W. Perry Wrote: You're very welcome! This forum has always helped me in just the same way—and still does!—so I'm glad to pass on whatever advice I can. And your model looks pretty cool too, by the way. Smile
Thank you. Now I got to make it draw some basic geometric figures. Do you by any chance know a good place to to find resources on velocity kinematic? My apologies for going off topic on this thread.
(2020-04-21, 2:34)N. W. Perry Wrote: So it must be something with LDD; and since the grid looks fine, I'm guessing it is just that the parts are missing from LDD.

I can think of two issues not mentioned yet.

Do you have a fresh copy of the file "ldraw.xml" in your LDD program folder?
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/
If there's no translation formula in that file, ldd will remove your part.

Have you used an "illegal" mounting method in your assembly?
Some assemblies we do IRL, and in LDCad, is not accepted in LDD, and the part is removed.
(2020-04-21, 16:14)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I can think of two issues not mentioned yet.

Do you have a fresh copy of the file "ldraw.xml" in your LDD program folder?
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p...sion-file/
If there's no translation formula in that file, ldd will remove your part.

Have you used an "illegal" mounting method in your assembly?
Some assemblies we do IRL, and in LDCad, is not accepted in LDD, and the part is removed.
I’m not sure. I’m gonna have to check that out. I’m checking the link now. Will report back later.
(2020-04-21, 2:12)Moe Wrote: ok, let me try it again.

Many of the axle pins are rotated wrong, some pins are not inline with the beams they connected to. These kinds of parts will be dropped by LDD.

You should really use part snapping with these kinds of models. To do so change the red GS into a green PS inside the compass, or use shift+p while the mouse is inside the editing area.

To correct the model you would need to grab and realign (using snapping) each part one by one.

Luckily you have included building steps so you can realign things from the bottom up while hiding everything else.
(2020-04-21, 21:28)Roland Melkert Wrote: Many of the axle pins are rotated wrong, some pins are not inline with the beams they connected to. These kinds of parts will be dropped by LDD.

You should really use part snapping with these kinds of models. To do so change the red GS into a green PS inside the compass, or use shift+p while the mouse is inside the editing area.

To correct the model you would need to grab and realign (using snapping) each part one by one.

Luckily you have included building steps so you can realign things from the bottom up while hiding everything else.
I was reading about LPub3D to make instructions. Would that give me the same problem as LDD or should I just stick to LDD and and use the snapping tool to fix the issues you mentioned?
(2020-04-22, 13:36)Moe Wrote: should I just stick to LDD

No, I think you should stay in LDCad. Use "PS" as Roland described.

Part Snapping will only work correctly if you have a correct setup of search paths.

I had to do this manually since it wasn't done when I installed LDCad using the AIOI.
(2020-04-21, 7:50)Moe Wrote: Thank you. Now I got to make it draw some basic geometric figures. Do you by any chance know a good place to to find resources on velocity kinematic? My apologies for going off topic on this thread.

Now that would definitely be beyond my expertise.  Big Grin
(2020-04-22, 15:09)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I had to do this manually since it wasn't done when I installed LDCad using the AIOI.
Could you please give me step by step guide on how to setup the search paths?
(2020-04-24, 17:26)Moe Wrote: Could you please give me step by step guide on how to setup the search paths?

Roland, Willy,
Could you help me, and explain how it should be done?
The screen dump is my current set-up, and that is working, but I don't know if it is correct.
(2020-04-24, 18:01)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Roland, Willy,
Could you help me, and explain how it should be done?
The screen dump is my current set-up, and that is working, but I don't know if it is correct.

The AIOI installer sets the main.cfg file so it points to the installed library.

But if, I understand correctly, it does so by pointing to the complete.zip, so if people delete that file later on (thinking it's already unpacked) it breaks things.

Easiest way to reset things is to delete the whole <LDrawPaths> parts section from the main.cfg file. The program will ask for the library location on the next start that way.

To fix a existing installation without having to edit the main.cfg use prefs/LDraw/Library (search) paths..  which opens the above dialog.

Click the line starting with 'official' and make sure it's location and shadow point to the right place.

You can also delete all lines and restart the program, then it will also ask for a location which will use the default shadow.

When asked to locate the library you can also point it to the folder containing a complete.zip, if there are no parts and p folder in that location it will use the zip by default.
(2020-04-24, 17:26)Moe Wrote: Could you please give me step by step guide on how to setup the search paths?

For the shadow library specifically (for part snapping), from menu Prefs->LDraw->Library (search) paths..

In the dialog box, select the "Official" line and check the search path in the "Shadow" box. By default it should be something like [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"…Application Data\LDCad\shadow\offLib\offLibShadow.csl"—if not, choose Browse Archive and look for that file.

While you're at it, you can find lots of helpful tidbits in the readme files peppered throughout LDCad's app data folder. It's worth poking around now and then; you're guaranteed to learn something each time![/font][/size][/color]
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. But I changed from LDD to Studio2.0 which allowed me to import the model as is and let me make the building instructions even with the parts not fitting properly. The build instructions in pdf  are the most important part of it and now I can do that with no fuss, unlike LDD.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »