4025 Fire Boat

4025 Fire Boat
Hi there,

my next model for OMR-contribution: 4025 Fire Boat of 1982. Smile

Best regards
Stefan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.mpd   4025-1 - Fire Boat.mpd (Size: 536.64 KB / Downloads: 7)
RE: 4025 Fire Boat
(2019-11-20, 19:16)Stefan Frenz Wrote: my next model for OMR-contribution: 4025 Fire Boat of 1982. Smile
Great job!
May I suggest a few improvements?
- You should mention any differences between your model and the real set (here, the missing stickers)
- Hose right doesn't connect properly on bottom. Do you know you can duplicate a flex part model and mirror it? (hose left looks good)
- on the hose I would pull more the handles on the back control point to make the hose smoother.
- No wire spools? (see this discussion: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23748.html . Granted, they can be a pain to create Wink )
(2019-11-21, 17:33)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Great job!
May I suggest a few improvements?
- You should mention any differences between your model and the real set (here, the missing stickers)
- Hose right doesn't connect properly on bottom. Do you know you can duplicate a flex part model and mirror it? (hose left looks good)
- on the hose I would pull more the handles on the back control point to make the hose smoother.
- No wire spools? (see this discussion: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-23748.html . Granted, they can be a pain to create Wink )
Hi Philippe,

thank you so much for looking at the model and your suggestions. Smile In fact I mirrored the left hose to get the other one, but obviously I did something wrong. I will look at this as soon as possible. The missing spools annoyed me, too - but I could not find the right button (and googled the wrong words - not "wire spool"). I will look at this too. Thanks again! Smile

About the stickers: yes, they are missing. Sad  I looked at the LDR file format and some tools around to portray the original ones, but did not succeed so far (same for my contributed model 6592). Sorry for not mentioning it, I'll add this at my other models where appropriate.

Best regards - Stefan
Thanks again, Philippe - new version has better Hose Left, a fixed Hose Right and a "LQ Rope" (is this the right one here?) for the wire spool. The sticker is still missing...

.mpd   4025-1 - Fire Boat.mpd (Size: 585.67 KB / Downloads: 12)
(2019-11-21, 23:16)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Thanks again, Philippe - new version has better Hose Left, a fixed Hose Right and a "LQ Rope" (is this the right one here?) for the wire spool. The sticker is still missing...
Perfect, thanks Wink
(2019-11-21, 17:33)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Great job!

[color=unset]Mirrored parts are awesome and make lego life easier, but they are not OMR compliant.[/color]
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2019-12-24, 12:43)Johann Eisner Wrote: [color=unset]Mirrored parts are awesome and make lego life easier, but they are not OMR compliant.[/color]
Thank you for testing and reporting. I thought mirroring the path in LDCad would mirror the coordinates. Therefore the left hose and the right hose are two separate parts that are not mirrored in the partref in mpd. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine to get MPDCenter running, so this check isn't available to me.

On LDCad-re-clean-up, it found a header naming error for the generated subparts, so attached is LDCad-OMR-cleaned-up mpd. For the mirrored hose I will look for another approach and upload the updated file as soon as I find the correct way to do it.

Attached Files
.mpd   4025-1 - Fire Boat.mpd (Size: 589.02 KB / Downloads: 3)
(2019-12-24, 14:08)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Thank you for testing and reporting. I thought mirroring the path in LDCad would mirror the coordinates. Therefore the left hose and the right hose are two separate parts that are not mirrored in the partref in mpd. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine to get MPDCenter running, so this check isn't available to me.

On LDCad-re-clean-up, it found a header naming error for the generated subparts, so attached is LDCad-OMR-cleaned-up mpd. For the mirrored hose I will look for another approach and upload the updated file as soon as I find the correct way to do it.

[color=unset]I do not really understand what do you mean.
Both files, both the one attached and the last one, are OMR compliant.
(Except for the file name: This should be 4025 - Fire Boat).
What else do you want to change?

Here the OMRized file:[/color]

.mpd   4025 - Fire Boat.mpd (Size: 588.93 KB / Downloads: 4)

[color=unset]Regards and happy X-mas[/color]
[color=unset]Johann[/color]
(2019-12-24, 14:57)Johann Eisner Wrote: [color=unset]I do not really understand what do you mean.
Both files, both the one attached and the last one, are OMR compliant.
(Except for the file name: This should be 4025 - Fire Boat).
[/color]
Oh, then I misunderstood your post: I thought you were hinting that in the model there is a mirrored part and that my file was therefore not OMR compliant.

Regarding filename: I thought appending "-1" is always some kind of "good idea" in case Lego would release (or already has released) another set with the same number...
I think you are not quite on the same tuning channel... Using a submodel mirrored by with a mirroring matrix is bad (studs get mirrored, asymmetric parts such as wedges have wrong part numbers). But LDcad mirroring function does things correctly, including for flex parts.
(2019-12-24, 17:14)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I think you are not quite on the same tuning channel...

I will change my channel...
(2019-12-24, 17:01)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Regarding filename: I thought appending "-1" is always some kind of "good idea" in case Lego would release (or already has released) another set with the same number...

That's right, but the qualifier only starts with 2 if there are several models.
Look here: https://www.ldraw.org/article/593.html#base_file_naming
(2019-12-24, 17:34)Johann Eisner Wrote: That's right, but the qualifier only starts with 2 if there are several models.
Look here: https://www.ldraw.org/article/593.html#base_file_naming
Thank you for insisting - I read the article some weeks ago when I started building models for OMR. I clearly did it wrong, perhaps because of my (also still very low) experience with BrickLink and Rebrickable, where I found most of my sets listed with "-1". Future filenames won't have "-1". Smile
(2019-12-24, 14:57)Johann Eisner Wrote: [color=unset]Here the OMRized file:[/color]

[color=unset]Regards and happy X-mas[/color]
[color=unset]Johann[/color]
Thank you for OMRizing Smile  I will compare the files and try to learn. I think it is time for me to write down my "frequently done mistakes"... Angel

Regards and happy X-mas Smile
Stefan
Finally, the missing stickers are done!!

.mpd   4025 - Fire Boat.mpd (Size: 506.95 KB / Downloads: 6)

Currently not OMR conform (unofficial stickers not inlined)
Missing items: none
(2021-09-10, 10:59)Takeshi Takahashi Wrote: Currently not OMR conform (unofficial stickers not inlined)

Note: this reason (sticker images not inclined with DATA tags) is not, currently, a reason for non-conformity. Once the key tools (currently waiting on MPDCenter and (maybe) LeoCAD) adopt DATA tag support I'll revisit making it a requirement.
(2021-09-10, 13:51)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Note: this reason (sticker images not inclined with DATA tags) is not, currently, a reason for non-conformity. Once the key tools (currently waiting on MPDCenter and (maybe) LeoCAD) adopt DATA tag support I'll revisit making it a requirement.

Thanks for your comment.
These stickers are all vector type, so inlining itself is doable technically (I know how to do this by MPDCenter).
But, since these stickers are fresh on the PT, I'm waiting reviews to confirm there are no critical flaws with them before inlining.
Hi Takeshi,

thank you for adding the missing stickers! Smile  I did not had the patience to do them.
Unfortunately, the mpd-file can not be opened with LDCad correctly (see image). Huh

Thanks in advance for any help.

(2021-09-10, 14:34)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Hi Takeshi,

thank you for adding the missing stickers! Smile  I did not had the patience to do them.
Unfortunately, the mpd-file can not be opened with LDCad correctly (see image). Huh

Thanks in advance for any help.

As they are unofficial parts on the Parts Tracker, please try this:

1. Open the mpd file by LDView
If the part download succeeds, complete ship will be displayed.
The files are deployed on "(LDraw directory)\Unofficial\Parts".

2. Open again the mpd file by LDCad
Thank you! Smile  I will try!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »