LDCad Flex Hose problems

LDCad Flex Hose problems
I'm trying to update some of my models for the OMR and I'm having problems with generating new parts for the Hose Flexible 8.5L without Tabs. This part should generate with a fixed 51 segments, 50 754.dat and 1 756.dat. This doesn't happen. Even if I force the length to be 170 ldu, the extra segments just generate with a null matrix. Any help on how to force LDCad to render the correct fixed length is appreciated.
RE: LDCad Flex Hose problems
(2019-01-07, 12:42)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm trying to update some of my models for the OMR and I'm having problems with generating new parts for the Hose Flexible 8.5L without Tabs. This part should generate with a fixed 51 segments, 50 754.dat and 1 756.dat. This doesn't happen. Even if I force the length to be 170 ldu, the extra segments just generate with a null matrix. Any help on how to force LDCad to render the correct fixed length is appreciated.
My own experiments with setting a fixed length for flex parts was not very conclusive. I tested a bit with your hose, it mostly works fine, but generates a variable number of segments depending of constraints/control points. To get the right number, I simply adjusted the control point handles unti I got the right length. One problem is that in nested mode where I can adjust the handles I don't see that number, it only appears when I switch back to normal mode and hover on the part (it is displayed in status bar). The other problem is that length is displayed in mm while number of segments would be more convenient. This is easy to change: edit the flex part (or if you want to make the change definitive, edit the template itself). Session -> edit header -> Path tab -> change length display to "segs"
(2019-01-07, 14:34)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: My own experiments with setting a fixed length for flex parts was not very conclusive. I tested a bit with your hose, it mostly works fine, but generates a variable number of segments depending of constraints/control points. To get the right number, I simply adjusted the control point handles unti I got the right length. One problem is that in nested mode where I can adjust the handles I don't see that number, it only appears when I switch back to normal mode and hover on the part (it is displayed in status bar). The other problem is that length is displayed in mm while number of segments would be more convenient. This is easy to change: edit the flex part (or if you want to make the change definitive, edit the template itself). Session -> edit header -> Path tab -> change length display to "segs"

You could also play with the segment size parameter of the two skin meta's. Those are set to 50% in the template to ensure the wide overlap of segments.
I'll add this here rather than starting a new thread, as it's relevant:

I noticed that the center segment of the hose does not have gaps on either side of it, which leaves a group of 3 rings bunched together. Is this a feature or a bug? (Or just a setting I could play with? I really haven't tried tweaking much, other than adjusting for the correct overall length of 6.6L/132 LDU/52.8mm, minus caps.)
(2020-09-02, 22:54)N. W. Perry Wrote: I'll add this here rather than starting a new thread, as it's relevant:

I noticed that the center segment of the hose does not have gaps on either side of it, which leaves a group of 3 rings bunched together. Is this a feature or a bug? (Or just a setting I could play with? I really haven't tried tweaking much, other than adjusting for the correct overall length of 6.6L/132 LDU/52.8mm, minus caps.)

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you give a screenshot?
(2020-09-03, 19:49)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean here, could you give a screenshot?

Sure, here's one:

I've highlighted the center segment; see how it doesn't have the spaces on either side. I did a model with four hoses in it, and they all turned out this way.
(2020-09-04, 6:56)N. W. Perry Wrote: Sure, here's one:

I've highlighted the center segment; see how it doesn't have the spaces on either side. I did a model with four hoses in it, and they all turned out this way.
Wow, your attention to detail (in this and other threads) has been superb!
(2020-09-04, 6:56)N. W. Perry Wrote: I've highlighted the center segment; see how it doesn't have the spaces on either side. I did a model with four hoses in it, and they all turned out this way.
The middle skin segment is indeed a bit short. Segment size is set to 60%, it works better at 70/75%
(2020-09-04, 10:14)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: The middle skin segment is indeed a bit short. Segment size is set to 60%, it works better at 70/75%

It seems I used a different segment size for the middle one, don't know why though Smile

I'll adjust it for the next release.
(2020-09-04, 18:51)Roland Melkert Wrote: It seems I used a different segment size for the middle one, don't know why though Smile

I'll adjust it for the next release.

Ah, simple explanation then. :-) Like I said, not a problem, I just wondered since this was the behavior "out of the box".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »