Suggestion for showing process within the PT

Suggestion for showing process within the PT
Dear all,
I got the request in the LAN forum, if it would be possible to bring an update with handled parts in a scheduled base - like every 2 weeks or every month.

The more I think of this idea, the more I like it. I think a list with new uploaded parts, parts with at least 2 cert votes, parts with Admin cert and parts that are released in an update could handle all these things.

I think, this would increase the user experience, if it would be a subpage with a link from the front page. Actually I feel, that a normal user is not very satisfied, that the main page doesn't change the content that often and most of the AFOLS I know, don't even know about the PartsTracker and it's function and some of them had already asked me in the part, if LDraw is dead or not. With this future they could see, that something is going on and that several parts are updated or whatever.

Best regards
Max
RE: Suggestion for showing process within the PT
In my opinion this would really help the cause of LDraw. Right now we do have an update once a year and I understand that it is quite an effort to produce the package and make it available for download.

You need to consider that for some new parts the team is really quick in constructing them and certifying them. It would really be a benefit the for the users. I think many of them

Part that have an Admin Cert should really be available may be on a monthly basis. May be this could be automated to produce a package every 4 to 6 weeks.

WE really need to make a bit more noise :-)
(2018-11-26, 21:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote: In my opinion this would really help the cause of LDraw. Right now we do have an update once a year and I understand that it is quite an effort to produce the package and make it available for download.

You need to consider that for some new parts the team is really quick in constructing them and certifying them. It would really be a benefit the for the users. I think many of them

Part that have an Admin Cert should really be available may be on a monthly basis. May be this could be automated to produce a package every 4 to 6 weeks.

I think, that even a status update in form a list with touched parts would be enough for showing the world, that we are still alive.

Doing parts updates more often would result in more work -> MLConfig.ini, LDraw AIOI etc.
Yup. In an era when communication and instantaneity are the main keywords, that would be a Good Thing!
(2018-11-26, 17:03)Max Martin Richter Wrote: Dear all,
I got the request in the LAN forum, if it would be possible to bring an update with handled parts in a scheduled base - like every 2 weeks or every month.

The more I think of this idea, the more I like it. I think a list with new uploaded parts, parts with at least 2 cert votes, parts with Admin cert and parts that are released in an update could handle all these things.

I think, this would increase the user experience, if it would be a subpage with a link from the front page. Actually I feel, that a normal user is not very satisfied, that the main page doesn't change the content that often and most of the AFOLS I know, don't even know about the PartsTracker and it's function and some of them had already asked me in the part, if LDraw is dead or not. With this future they could see, that something is going on and that several parts are updated or whatever.

Best regards
Max

Every two weeks would be too much work. Monthly is possible, but every two months is more likely to be achievable, although I'd prefer it to be triggered by a threshold number of certified parts. The effort is not really correlated with the number of files to be released.
Let me increase the frequency and see what can be achieved. It will mean more 'nagging emails' from me to get certifications on files that are holding up parent files.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2018-11-27, 9:12)Max Martin Richter Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 21:37)Gerald Lasser Wrote: In my opinion this would really help the cause of LDraw. Right now we do have an update once a year and I understand that it is quite an effort to produce the package and make it available for download.

I think, that even a status update in form a list with touched parts would be enough for showing the world, that we are still alive.

Doing parts updates more often would result in more work -> MLConfig.ini, LDraw AIOI etc.

This is also my recommendation. Having a feed with he last updated parts should be both easy to create and give a better user experience. 

This is even more important during this time where the looks is not modern (not that I know how to make it look modern)
(2018-11-26, 17:03)Max Martin Richter Wrote: I think, this would increase the user experience, if it would be a subpage with a link from the front page. Actually I feel, that a normal user is not very satisfied, that the main page doesn't change the content that often and most of the AFOLS I know, don't even know about the PartsTracker and it's function and some of them had already asked me in the part, if LDraw is dead or not. With this future they could see, that something is going on and that several parts are updated or whatever.

Well, mirroring the Parts Tracker Activity Log to the home along with a thumbnail of the parts would help.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-11-28, 10:44)Chris Dee Wrote:

Best regards
Max

Every two weeks would be too much work. Monthly is possible, but every two months is more likely to be achievable, although I'd prefer it to be triggered by a threshold number of certified parts. The effort is not really correlated with the number of files to be released.
Let me increase the frequency and see what can be achieved. It will mean more 'nagging emails' from me to get certifications on files that are holding up parent files.

As written above I could imagine an automated page, which states automatically several things from PT.
Just something like: last 14 days xyz new parts had been loaded to PT. these parts are the following ones:
Next page or column 
Last 14 days xyz parts got a second cert vote. These parts are...

And so on. Is I don't know how the PT is build, I don't know about the complexity of programming this feature.

This was not meant to bring more workload to Chris due to more updates.
(2018-11-28, 15:38)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 17:03)Max Martin Richter Wrote: I think, this would increase the user experience, if it would be a subpage with a link from the front page. Actually I feel, that a normal user is not very satisfied, that the main page doesn't change the content that often and most of the AFOLS I know, don't even know about the PartsTracker and it's function and some of them had already asked me in the part, if LDraw is dead or not. With this future they could see, that something is going on and that several parts are updated or whatever.

Well, mirroring the Parts Tracker Activity Log to the home along with a thumbnail of the parts would help.

w.

That idea sounds very good!
That brings up also one more question: What are the 'hidden' commands the PT can do?

e.g. it can display more rows
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/tracker/act...gi?n=0,200

what other gems are there? Smile
(2018-11-28, 10:44)Chris Dee Wrote: although I'd prefer it to be triggered by a threshold number of certified parts.

Maybe this is a way to also get more active reviewers. If we had a known trigger level that would generate a part release, we would have a common goal to work against.

I recently looked on all the files in need of a second vote. But I could not find anymore to vote on. I was either the Author or had already voted Certify. Someone else have to give the second vote.  Sad
(2018-11-28, 19:29)Gerald Lasser Wrote: That brings up also one more question: What are the 'hidden' commands the PT can do?

The activity reporter (activity.cgi) has the following parameters:
- n=[start offset from top of list],[number or entries to show]
- t=[event-type] (as shown in Action column, e.g. submit, review, delete, etc)
- f =[file-path] (as used from the event link on the detail page)

The parts lister (ptlist.cgi) has the following parameters:
- subset=[filter] (one of certified, adminreview, memberreview, needsubfile, held)
- sort=[display sequence] (one of cert, file, type, title)
(2018-11-29, 6:55)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 19:29)Gerald Lasser Wrote: That brings up also one more question: What are the 'hidden' commands the PT can do?

The activity reporter (activity.cgi) has the following parameters:

- subset=[filter] (one of certified, adminreview, memberreview, needsubfile, held)

If could read Date and Time as well, it should be easy to create the infos for such an info page. :-)
(2018-11-29, 6:55)Chris Dee Wrote: The activity reporter (activity.cgi) has the following parameters:

Would some of those apply also to the mysubmits.cgi?

e..g if I want to see only my held files? I tried the above but it did not work
(2018-12-01, 23:45)Gerald Lasser Wrote:
(2018-11-29, 6:55)Chris Dee Wrote: The activity reporter (activity.cgi) has the following parameters:

Would some of those apply also to the mysubmits.cgi?

No, sorry, there is currently no subsetting support in mysubmits.cgi (or myreviews.cgi).
(2018-11-28, 15:38)Willy Tschager Wrote:

w.

I might be able to bash something together. It would help if PTActivity had an RSS feed or JSON API but I think I can go without.

Best regards
Max

Just realised why I have found this entire thread confusing. Did you mean process (a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end) or progress (development towards an improved or more advanced condition)?
(2018-12-02, 18:14)Chris Dee Wrote:

Best regards
Max

Just realised why I have found this entire thread confusing. Did you mean process (a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end) or progress (development towards an improved or more advanced condition)?

I'll write you an email for clarification this evening. ;-)
(2018-12-02, 11:40)Chris Dee Wrote:
(2018-12-01, 23:45)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Would some of those apply also to the mysubmits.cgi?

No, sorry, there is currently no subsetting support in mysubmits.cgi (or myreviews.cgi).

Thanks!
(2018-12-02, 16:19)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-11-28, 15:38)Willy Tschager Wrote: Well, mirroring the Parts Tracker Activity Log to the home along with a thumbnail of the parts would help.

w.

I might be able to bash something together. It would help if PTActivity had an RSS feed or JSON API but I think I can go without.

I have implemented a feed of the most recent PT submit actions on the front page.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »