BB-8 Body

BB-8 Body
I decided to do a few parts from the LDD leftovers. One of the is the BB-8 body, part 20953.

When doing it in the usual 16  segment, I find it too rough, not giving an eye-pleasing result. However making it 48 segments seems a bit too many, as the number of (plain) surfaces on the sphere would be around 720. I tried with 32 segments for a circle now and this is the result below. Note, that the print is 48 segments.

.png   20953.PNG (Size: 26.15 KB / Downloads: 58)

What's your opinion on the number of segments?
RE: BB-8 Body
32 seems a good compromise as it allows relatively easy junction with 16 primitive studs... Perhaps go a bit further, 32 in horizontal plane, 24 in vertical direction?
(2017-10-13, 14:41)Gerald Lasser Wrote: I decided to do a few parts from the LDD leftovers. One of the is the BB-8 body, part 20953.

When doing it in the usual 16  segment, I find it too rough, not giving an eye-pleasing result. However making it 48 segments seems a bit too many, as the number of (plain) surfaces on the sphere would be around 720. I tried with 32 segments for a circle now and this is the result below. Note, that the print is 48 segments.

What's your opinion on the number of segments?

I'd just do 48. It's a standard facecount and it doesn't really matter with modern renderers.
(2017-10-13, 14:41)Gerald Lasser Wrote: When doing it in the usual 16  segment, I find it too rough, not giving an eye-pleasing result. However making it 48 segments seems a bit too many, as the number of (plain) surfaces on the sphere would be around 720. I tried with 32 segments for a circle now and this is the result below. Note, that the print is 48 segments.

How does it look with smoothing ?

But Orion is right modern hardware barley gets exited about 720 faces, if rendering per part the api overhead is probably more of an issue then the face count Smile
Thanks for your opinions, made me go for the 48 segments
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »