Wrapping tepee cover

Wrapping tepee cover
Guys,

as you might know I'm slowly authoring all the missing Western parts from the late nineties, which are missing in the library. Sooner or later the "last part standing" will be "Cloth Tepee Cover with ... Pattern":

[Image: x172px1.png]

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cata...=1#T=C&C=1

It will be fairly easy designing a flat version in LDPC, but how do wrap the cloth? Any ideas? How about a wrapper prog for this kind of job?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Wrapping tepee cover
Hopefully this should be usable: http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16349-pos...l#pid16349
(2016-11-11, 19:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hopefully this should be usable: http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16349-pos...l#pid16349

As I understand it is for slightly curved surfaces, but the tepee would project on a some sort of cone, offset from the top has to be adjusted, overlap must be allowed 'cos the tepee would wrap and the ends would overlap.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-11-11, 20:28)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-11-11, 19:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hopefully this should be usable: http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-16349-pos...l#pid16349

As I understand it is for slightly curved surfaces, but the tepee would project on a some sort of cone, offset from the top has to be adjusted, overlap must be allowed 'cos the tepee would wrap and the ends would overlap.

w.
I guess a ldpc template can be done using Meshmixer unwrap tool https://youtu.be/PCgP8VLFaz4?t=3m11s . I'll give it a try!

It looks like the tent needs to have an octagonal base. I can't get a single cone to fit the brick base and the ball-pins.

Attached Files
.dat   tipi.dat (Size: 8.25 KB / Downloads: 4)
(2016-11-12, 13:30)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: It looks like the tent needs to have an octagonal base. I can't get a single cone to fit the brick base and the ball-pins.

I am indeed facing the same problem... I guess that IRL it works with flexibility of the fabric. Willy, any suggestion?
Aside from problems mentionned by Magnus, I tried to create a template for LDPC. Good and not so good news...
I was able to create a cone template using the following method:
- Create the cone in LDraw.
- convert it to stl with LDView.
- import the cone in Meshmixer
- Create the flat template with Meshmixer unwrap tool
- export the flat template to stl and convert it to LDraw domain with stl2dat
- Import that file in LDPC and make a template.
- Replace flat projection data of the LDPC template with 3D values from the initial cone.

Now the problems...
- you have to take care of the order of polygons, and of the order of vertices of each polygon, and the long travel between tools tends to mess up things.
- LDPC projection precision looks fairly limited, and resulting pattern has small gaps.

Attached the files. As the process is fairly manual, I limited myself to 7 segments of cones...

Template file:
.txt   tepee.txt (Size: 1.78 KB / Downloads: 7)
example LPC project:
.lpc   tepeetest.lpc (Size: 17.28 KB / Downloads: 5)
result:
.dat   tepeetest.dat (Size: 3.3 KB / Downloads: 8)
"raw" cone to see difference between "ideal" shape and somewhat off projected result:
.dat   cone3d.dat (Size: 602 bytes / Downloads: 7)
(2016-11-12, 13:52)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2016-11-12, 13:30)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: It looks like the tent needs to have an octagonal base. I can't get a single cone to fit the brick base and the ball-pins.

I am indeed facing the same problem... I guess that IRL it works with flexibility of the fabric. Willy, any suggestion?

The fabric is not stressed in no point and wraps around quiet loosely. Here are some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apqtky13762sbw...1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xl7yo05ayzp7y...2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jayz3frjf6gmvj...3.jpg?dl=0

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Results so far for basic shape (without holes). Comments?

Attached Files
.dat   tepeeshapefull.dat (Size: 59 KB / Downloads: 4)
.dat   tepeeshapeflat.dat (Size: 9.9 KB / Downloads: 5)
.ldr   tepee.ldr (Size: 833 bytes / Downloads: 5)
(2016-11-13, 21:34)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Results so far for basic shape (without holes). Comments?

Awsome! Looks really good. Get out the driller and let's make some some holes :-)

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Using a small drill bit... Support holes are now there, remains the entrance hole.
Big problem: the flat and formed files are now a soup of tri/quads, and I have no idea how to sort both files in the same order to generate a LPC template. LPC template which is usable only if precision issue is fixed anyway...

If LPC is fixed, the best bet is probably to make a template from undrilled files, and drill again the patterned version. If it is not, then the best solution is probably to make pattern from side projections (4 sides) and repair pattern at junctions with LDPE. Drawback of the last method, no flat version is generated as a by-product.

Attached Files
.dat   tepee-holes.dat (Size: 215.14 KB / Downloads: 2)
.dat   tepee-holes-flat.dat (Size: 139.59 KB / Downloads: 1)
.ldr   tepee.ldr (Size: 830 bytes / Downloads: 2)
Looks very good indeed, but I wonder, is it possible to have the top outer "corner" follow the cone shape better?
I think it would be great if the profile of the tepee was always cone shaped.

I've found lots of good pictures ot the tepee in Rober-to's Brickshelf western gallery. Sets 6746, 6766.
His Brickshelf is a real goldmine. Lots of scanned stickers and photots of old sets.

btw.
What's the correct spelling of "tepee" in Australian English?
(2016-11-14, 17:50)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Looks very good indeed, but I wonder, is it possible to have the top outer "corner" follow the cone shape better?
Possible of course, but I think it would be less natural. A canvas tend to be flat...
(2016-11-14, 16:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: If it is not, then the best solution is probably to make pattern from side projections (4 sides) and repair pattern at junctions with LDPE.
Actually maybe the best solution is probably to use a single (apart for overlap) projection from top, using this kind of photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xl7yo05ayzp7y...2.jpg?dl=0
(2016-11-14, 18:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2016-11-14, 17:50)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Looks very good indeed, but I wonder, is it possible to have the top outer "corner" follow the cone shape better?
Possible of course, but I think it would be less natural. A canvas tend to be flat...

+1
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-11-14, 16:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Using a small drill bit... Support holes are now there, remains the entrance hole.
The entrance hole has a diameter of 3,5 cm
It should be a flat cylinder (not formed) which hangs perpendicular
At the top it is attached for 1,3 cm
The distance from the bottom (of the flat laying cloth) is 1,4 cm

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-11-14, 16:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Big problem: the flat and formed files are now a soup of tri/quads, and I have no idea how to sort both files in the same order to generate a LPC template. LPC template which is usable only if precision issue is fixed anyway...
Agree, but being a total ignorant I still do not understand how to use the template (better it's outcome) on the projection? For the faced I do I use SlizerPro but this is a total different story.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Quote:Agree, but being a total ignorant I still do not understand how to use the template (better it's outcome) on the projection?
You just have to place the template.txt file in LDPC template folder (%appdata%\Nils Schmidt\LDPatternCreator\template, then use it as you would do to make a torso or a slope brick pattern.
Quote:For the faced I do I use SlizerPro but this is a total different story.
As I am not sure that template will be usable here, this method will probably the one to use!
(2016-11-14, 19:30)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-11-14, 16:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Using a small drill bit... Support holes are now there, remains the entrance hole.
The entrance hole has a diameter of  3,5 cm
It should be a flat cylinder (not formed) which hangs perpendicular
At the top it is attached for 1,3 cm
The distance from the bottom (of the flat laying cloth) is 1,4 cm

w.
Thanks! comes in just in time Wink
Hole of the day...
I think it looks better with the slightly curved door.

Attached Files
.dat   tepee-holes.dat (Size: 169.62 KB / Downloads: 3)
.dat   tepee-holes-flatdoor.dat (Size: 167.67 KB / Downloads: 3)
(2016-11-14, 18:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: A canvas tend to be flat...

I don't understand this.
It is always possible to roll a flat sheet, of any shape, into a perfect cone. I don't see why it has to look like this. I'd expect the top corner to follow the yellow arrow, and not extend in a tangential direction. Is the canvas very stiff, and don't want to be rolled up?

.png   Image 1.png (Size: 25.82 KB / Downloads: 77)

And maybe that corner is a tiny bit to long? If I look at pictures of a flattened canvas, it looks to be symmetrical.

(2016-11-15, 16:38)Magnus Forsberg Wrote:
(2016-11-14, 18:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: A canvas tend to be flat...

I don't understand this.
It is always possible to roll a flat sheet, of any shape, into a perfect cone. I don't see why it has to look like this. I'd expect the top corner to follow the yellow arrow, and not extend in a tangential direction. Is the canvas very stiff, and don't want to be rolled up?
LEGO canvas are generally rather stiff, and look at a real world tepee! Wink
Quote:And maybe that corner is a tiny bit to long? If I look at pictures of a flattened canvas, it looks to be symmetrical.
Mmhhh... yeah, perhaps a tad too wide on that side.
(2016-11-15, 16:06)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hole of the day...

Fine from my side. Submit. What about the name. "Cloth" or "canvas"?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-11-16, 8:32)Willy Tschager Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 16:06)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Hole of the day...

Fine from my side. Submit. What about the name. "Cloth" or "canvas"?

w.

I'd say "Canvas". Do I submit a flat version too?
(2016-11-16, 8:53)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2016-11-16, 8:32)Willy Tschager Wrote: Fine from my side. Submit. What about the name. "Cloth" or "canvas"?

w.

I'd say "Canvas". Do I submit a flat version too?

For consistency with other cloth/canvas parts I'd say yes.
Now on PT !

Horse pattern canves design number is 71562 (WIGWAM/CHIEF)

Buffalo head pattern canvas design number is 71426 (WIGWAM/MEDICINE MAN)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »