Site Icons Needed

Site Icons Needed
I need a volunteer who is better at image editing than me to make up some icon for the forums.

The size/style I want is similar to this:

.png   Administrator.png (Size: 2.68 KB / Downloads: 4)

Maybe with a Lego or LDraw flair.

Needed titles are:
* Steering Committee or SteerCo
* Standards Board or LSB
* Administrator
* LDraw.org Member
* James Jessiman Memorial Award or JJMA
* Parts Author
* Parts Author/Reviewer
* Library Administrator
* Anything else you think may be relevant
Re: Site Icons Needed
What should be the original resolution be and what size shall they have "usually"? Like the one you listed as an example?
Re: Site Icons Needed
Size isn't fixed but about the same size as the example. Can be slightly larger, longer, shorter, or more squarish if that fits the design better.
RE: Site Icons Needed
I'll give it a try.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
These are 100 x 20:

.png   LD-Administrator.png (Size: 4.93 KB / Downloads: 3)

.png   LD-SteerCo.png (Size: 4.83 KB / Downloads: 2)

.png   LD-Parts Author.png (Size: 4.96 KB / Downloads: 4)

It would help if they could be longer. There is a difference between "Parts Author" and "Parts Author/Reviewer" or "Library Administrator"

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Not sure it's a good idea to have a red brick on a red background. Maybe this background should be more neutral? Another question is the color of the brick itself, forum icon brick beeing blue. And yes, I know, criticism is easy Wink
They can be longer. I'm also with Philo that the red on red is visually unpleasing.
Second try:

.png   LD-Administrator.png (Size: 5.48 KB / Downloads: 317)

.png   LD-Parts Author.png (Size: 5.8 KB / Downloads: 312)

.png   LD-SteerCo.png (Size: 5.38 KB / Downloads: 312)

These are 150 x 20.

w.

EDIT: Should now be in original size
LEGO ergo sum
Willy, Could you please resize them all, so that we can see them all three in 1:1?
How do they look without any black/grey inside the letters?
Thanks for your effort. Looks gook but the text kind of disappears into the blue background. It would be cool if the side icon could somehow reflect the title. Then we could have small icons as well.
(2016-04-20, 16:48)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Willy, Could you please resize them all, so that we can see them all three in 1:1?
How do they look without any black/grey inside the letters?

Resized, by changing the settings in the thumbnail generator of the forum. As for the border around the letters you'll have to wait 'til I get access to the other machine.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-04-20, 19:15)Orion Pobursky Wrote: It would be cool if the side icon could somehow reflect the title. Then we could have small icons as well.

Different colors?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-04-20, 19:15)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Thanks for your effort. Looks gook but the text kind of disappears into the blue background. It would be cool if the side icon could somehow reflect the title. Then we could have small icons as well.

If someone could tell me what icons are needed exactly, I might be able to come up with something (no guarantees). Being creative isn't my best part, I'm better off just doing what's told to me  Wink
Maybe instead of a 3x2 brick for every icon, there could be e.g. minifig accessories, one for each title? Though I can't really think of suitable fits...
I kind of like that idea.

For administrators:
[Image: vJYZ8ev.png]

For parts authors/reviewers:
[Image: hoppibH.png]

For SteerCo:
[Image: dJCHDA9.png]
Alternate for SteerCo:
[Image: NyOdp3k.png]
Not sure if any of them would look even remotely OK at less than 20 pixels tall.
I think maybe we can bump the width to 40 and the length down to fit the longest text
A rough draft of using Minifig utensils to illustrate the functions:

Position of some utensils need to be tweaked, e.g. the magnifying glass.

James Jessiman Award Receiver:

.png   LDIC_JJ-Award.png (Size: 7.41 KB / Downloads: 277)

LDraw Parts Author

.png   LDIC_Part-Author.png (Size: 14.25 KB / Downloads: 277)

LDraw Parts Reviewer (Magnifying Glass at bad position)

.png   LDIC_Part-Reviewer.png (Size: 17.94 KB / Downloads: 278)

LD-Library Admin

.png   LDIC_Lib-Admin.png (Size: 11 KB / Downloads: 278)

Steering Co

.png   LDIC_SteerCo.png (Size: 14.09 KB / Downloads: 277)

I am missing somehow an idea for the Standards Board, may be a sextant? Any other tool that might fit? Or may be the judges wig or Hammer from the Collectible Minifigs?
150 x 30:

.png   LD-Administrator.png (Size: 6.52 KB / Downloads: 271)

The crown is 24x24.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Like the library admin and the steerco. Also the micro statue is fine, but there should be only one utensil. Keep in mind that it will be reduce to something like 24x24

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-04-24, 4:45)Orion Pobursky Wrote: ... length down to fit the longest text

Agree.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Any opinions on this?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-04-30, 8:18)Willy Tschager Wrote: Any opinions on this?

I think it looks fine. The crown is barely big enough to be discernible. Having said that, I would get rid of the 1-pixel transparent border all the way around the outside of the button, unless that's necessary for it to look right when used on the forum. Increasing the size of the button (and crown) by two pixels might even produce a visible improvement.

Also, if anybody knows the web-fu to substitute 2x images on high-pixel-density displays (like a lot of new laptops, plus iPads and most recent phones), I think it would look great using a 2x version of the image in the same space on a high-pixel-density display.
(2016-04-30, 22:11)Travis Cobbs Wrote:
(2016-04-30, 8:18)Willy Tschager Wrote: Any opinions on this?

I think it looks fine. The crown is barely big enough to be discernible. Having said that, I would get rid of the 1-pixel transparent border all the way around the outside of the button, unless that's necessary for it to look right when used on the forum. Increasing the size of the button (and crown) by two pixels might even produce a visible improvement.

I'll see what I can do. I already tried this but it looks rather odd on the rounded corners. Stay tuned.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-05-01, 11:35)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I think it looks fine. The crown is barely big enough to be discernible. Having said that, I would get rid of the 1-pixel transparent border all the way around the outside of the button, unless that's necessary for it to look right when used on the forum. Increasing the size of the button (and crown) by two pixels might even produce a visible improvement.
150 x 30, no border, icons are 28 x 28:

.png   LD-Administrator.png (Size: 7.22 KB / Downloads: 232)

.png   LD-SteerCo.png (Size: 7.38 KB / Downloads: 232)

.png   LD-Parts Author.png (Size: 6.98 KB / Downloads: 233)

.png   LD-JJMA.png (Size: 6.61 KB / Downloads: 232)

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I like those a lot but the text is really hard to read on a small screen. This is a minor nit and not something I'm unhappy about.
This is

with a light blue border:

.png   LD-Administrator_light_blue_border.png (Size: 8.06 KB / Downloads: 216)

with a thicker border:

.png   LD-Administrator_thicker_border.png (Size: 8.01 KB / Downloads: 217)

Arial instead of Calibri:

.png   LD-Administrator_Arial.png (Size: 8.38 KB / Downloads: 217)

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I'd go with one of the last 2, both are equally readable on my iPhone.
I like the last one best. The bigger, the better.

@Orion
How are these supposed to be used? Only one per user? Or all of which are relevant to each user? All images in a single row at the bottom of the header, or stacked on top of each other?

Wouldn't it be better to instead of a header above each post, have a new column to the left of the post, containing these images, stars and name tags?

I wan't the text in the posts to be the dominat feature, not the headers breaking of the flow, when I read a thread.
Final version:

.png   LD-Administrator.png (Size: 8.43 KB / Downloads: 186)

.png   LD-LSB.png (Size: 9.06 KB / Downloads: 185)

.png   LD-PTAdmin.png (Size: 8.24 KB / Downloads: 184)

.png   LD-JJMA.png (Size: 8.24 KB / Downloads: 183)

.png   LD-SteerCo.png (Size: 8.81 KB / Downloads: 183)

.png   LD-Parts Author.png (Size: 7.83 KB / Downloads: 184)

Simple members get no icon. No contribution, no icon Big Grin  

w.
LEGO ergo sum
For what it's worth, I think these look great.
(2016-05-06, 22:15)Travis Cobbs Wrote: For what it's worth, I think these look great.
Agreed!
(2016-05-06, 8:43)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: How are these supposed to be used? Only one per user? Or all of which are relevant to each user? All images in a single row at the bottom of the header, or stacked on top of each other?

I was planning on a single row underneath the user name. I'm confused on your vision of how things should look.
I see that the badges are now showing. Is the JJMA badge missing due to oversight, or some other reason?
Maybe something like this?:

(2016-05-06, 20:26)Willy Tschager Wrote: Final version:
Simple members get no icon. No contribution, no icon Big Grin
Nice icons! And poor Milan - what about an icon for Snap data authors? Smile
Does anyone know if the application developer badge will be implemented ?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2315]

Cheers,
(2016-07-28, 7:22)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Does anyone know if the application developer badge will be implemented ?

Cheers,

Yes. When I have time. I have quite a bit going on in real life and it has lead to me having zero time to work on anything site related. Things should clear up in a few weeks and I'll chug through the backlog
(2016-07-29, 5:49)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2016-07-28, 7:22)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Does anyone know if the application developer badge will be implemented ?

Cheers,

Yes. When I have time. I have quite a bit going on in real life and it has lead to me having zero time to work on anything site related. Things should clear up in a few weeks and I'll chug through the backlog

Ok - thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Orion, don't forget the APPsters.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2016-07-29, 6:45)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-07-29, 5:49)Orion Pobursky Wrote:

Cheers,

Ok - thanks for the update.

Cheers,

This is now active.  Please PM if you want me to add you to the list
(2016-09-10, 6:23)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This is now active.  Please PM if you want me to add you to the list

Many thanks !  Smile

Cheers,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »