LDCad questions

LDCad questions
I have a few specific questions for LDCad use that I haven't (yet) found answers to:

- Changing part colours
If I make a mistake or simply want to try a different colour scheme, I need to change the colour of parts that are already in the model. So far the only way I have been able to do this is to select the part and then double click on the new colour in the colour wheel.
Depending on where the colour is in the wheel this can be tricky. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a way to turn the wheel so a specific colour is more accessible?

- Moving parts to a submodel
Occasionally after building a digital model I realise that for the sake of clarity in the instructions it would be easier to move a number of parts tu a submodel (e.g. either to create a callout). Is there a way to easily move parts to a submodel that doesn't involve deleting them from the main model?
I'm thinking of an option that would allow me to move parts to (and from) submodels in the same way I can now move parts from and to steps

- Substituting parts
have just found I need to change a 6L axle for an 8L axle. Is there a simple way to substitute one part for another, without removing one and reinserting the next? MLCad has a dialogue for that.
Re: LDCad questions
Quote:- Changing part colours
While focus (mouse cursor) is on color wheel, you can use mouse wheel or left/right keys to rotate the color wheel.
Quote:- Moving parts to a submodel
I use cut/paste for this, but maybe there are better ways. Problem with cut/paste is that you need to reinsert parts in the model at the right place, not always easy.
Edit: I realize I answered another question: move some parts to an existing submodel. To create a brand new submodel from a few selected parts: right click -> reorganize -> move to submodel.
Quote:- Substituting parts
Just select the part to replace, and double click on the new one in parts bin. Works also on multiple selections (each part in selection is replaced by the new part).
Three out of three in a single goal: you scored a hattrick Smile Thanks!

Next question:
- Is there an easy way to remove (empty) steps?
Two ways:
- Click on step line in source window, hit Del key.
- Click on step number (upper left) then "Del current" (current step will be merged with previous). Menu can also be obtained by right click -> stepping.
I tend to prefer first method, I'm more sure of what I'm doing.
Jetro de Château Wrote:So far the only way I have been able to do this is to select the part and then double click on the new colour in the colour wheel.
Don't forget you can also click the left (larger) rectangle in the colorbar below the wheel as that rectangle displays the current 'working' color.

Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I use cut/paste for this, but maybe there are better ways. Problem with cut/paste is that you need to reinsert parts in the model at the right place, not always easy.
To move a selection to another existing submodel (during nested mode) you can use the 'move to current level' item from the reorganize menu. Just be sure to set the 'insert into' (on ses panel) to the intended target first.
I'll try this (though it seems slightly outside my comfort zone, just too easy to forget to set/reset target...)
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that.

Next question:
How does hiding work in LDCad. I know how to hide and unhide parts, but it appears to use a different protocol as in MLCad. I tried to hide part of a model to take a picture with LDView, but the parts I hid with MLCad are still visible. Is there a way to hide them so LDView won't render them?
Fantastic. I hadn't realised there was a source window (well, to be more precise I had seen it mentioned, but hadn't understood what it was.
I do like the second method though. I wonder if that will still work if there are LDPub comments in the file. Have to try.
Jetro de Château Wrote:I wonder if that will still work if there are LDPub comments in the file. Have to try.
It will only remove the "0 STEP" line defining the current step number. So all LPub metas will also act on the new combined step.
Jetro de Château Wrote:How does hiding work in LDCad. I know how to hide and unhide parts, but it appears to use a different protocol as in MLCad. I tried to hide part of a model to take a picture with LDView, but the parts I hid with MLCad are still visible. Is there a way to hide them so LDView won't render them?
Hiding is currently a rendering state only, meaning it won't be saved to file.

I will add the option to save the hidden state of things in a future version. The reason it isn't there yet is because I'm not sure how I'm adding that feature. I was thinking about making it a grouping thing/property but I'm not sure yet Smile
Philippe Hurbain Wrote:I use cut/paste for this, but maybe there are better ways. Problem with cut/paste is that you need to reinsert parts in the model at the right place, not always easy.
Roland Melkert Wrote:To move a selection to another existing submodel (during nested mode) you can use the 'move to current level' item from the reorganize menu. Just be sure to set the 'insert into' (on ses panel) to the intended target first.

If I'm reading Jetro's original question correctly he was asking about creating a new submodel from existing parts. If this is the case then by far the best way I've found is to right click->reorganize->move to submodel. Gives you options to reset orientation and move the bricks to the submodel's origin. One of my favorite LDcad accidental discoveries.
That was indeed my original question and the method you describe is the most practical one for me.
I've occasionally also wanted to move parts between (sub)models, but haven't found an easy way to do that yet. Cutting and pasting + reorienting seems to be the correct method for now.
LOL. It looks like Jetro and me are on kind of the same level when it comes to learning LDCad?
I asked the question about changing the color of brick just a week or so earlier :-)
And I really must say working with I am beginning to like it more and more.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
It's always nice to see someone else asking similar questions. For one thing it mens there are some I won't have to ask because they'll be asked by someone else Big Grin

Talking about steps again, today I (again) missed an option to insert a step after the current step (so not at the end, but e.g. between step 4 and 5 in a file with 10).
Jetro de Château Wrote:Talking about steps again, today I (again) missed an option to insert a step after the current step (so not at the end, but e.g. between step 4 and 5 in a file with 10).
There is one for inserting before the current one in the step menu (click steps label -> 'insert'). This because there is always at least one step.

So if you're in step 5 it will become step 6 and the new step 5 will be empty.
Great, thanks! I hadn't realised the Step number box was a menu/clickable
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »