21303 - Wall-E

21303 - Wall-E
[Image: 21303-1.jpg]

Complete with printed tiles

feedback welcome.

Chris

Attached Files
.mpd   21303 - Wall-E.mpd (Size: 110.75 KB / Downloads: 33)
Re: 21303 - Wall-E
Looks very nice, but the image is missing. I guess you forgot to use a deep link on brickshelf Wink
What about posting it also on Eurobricks?
Thanks Philo,

I forgot to login on brickshelf before copying the link.
Now, the image should display.
Really nice set !

What did you use to render it?
I rendered it with Povray, using LGEO parts and I created the missing LGEO parts using your method.
Not OMR compliant.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
How did you created the parts that are not in the LGEO library?
I'm always trying to fond new methods.
The missing parts are created with Solidworks, exported to STL, then converted with STL2Pov into povray code. After that, I add subfiles and LGEO primitives if needed.

-At first I exported to .dat and got a huge Ldraw folder since my version of STL2Dat was malfunctionning.

Now I just have a large LGEO folder (almost 4 Go including your own library).
Creating parts with Solidworks is quite easy. It take from a few minutes to a couple of hours tops.
I've created almost 200 parts since you shared with me the working STL2pov 2.44.

I guess it is a similar method you are using exept you use CATIA , nothing new.
OK same method then.

Execpt I'm reworking all my parts with PoseRay and Meshlab cause I've realized that stl2pov creates duplicated surfaces and doesn't generate good normals. You can usually see it on flat surfaces, there are some weird "lines".
Yes, I noticed these glitches also...I'm curious to know how you correct this issue.

[edit] OK Using Meshlab to convert .STL to .obj and then Poseray to convert .obj to .inc give a nicer result...and a smaller file.

Is it the way you proceed ?
There should be an official LGEO parts library and tracker. The fact that there isn't is completely silly.
+10
As there is no standard at all and no rules, I don't think there will be a part tracker ever.
As povray is text based you could just put it on a svn or git based server, no need to build a whole custom environment for it.

But it being large there might be a bandwidth problem if you want to host it yourself.

Alternative would be to go with one of the larger opensource hosting sites.
There need not be standards and rules etc., that was not what was asked about.

As Roland already posted, what is needed is just a revision-controlled server like github
which allows to track the various changes to the LGEO text files.

One would be able to simply see the differences during editing, get access to older or newer versions etc.pp.
My current conversion and rendering method is as follows:
1) Create model in MLCAD using LDraw parts
2) Use LdrDat2Dxf to export the model to Autocad DXF format
3) Load model into PoseRay then remove the faceted appearance by using "weld vertices" and then "re-calculate normals"
4) If further "smoothing" is needed then use Subdivide feature
5) Save model as OBJ file then export the model from PoseRay into POV-Ray (as mesh2)
6) Render image in POV-Ray - my technique is to use HDR lighting and my colours are based on colors found here:
http://guide.lugnet.com/color/

Here are some recent renders:
[Image: AT-AT_Walker.png]

[Image: xwing.png]

Reuben
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »