New Parts for LGEO Library

New Repository for LGEO Library
I am working on the LGEO library. Here are the notes I've compiled while doing research. I have all the parts organized using a spreadsheet, and am currently updating "LGEO.xml", "lg_colors.lst" and "lg_elements.lst". When I'm done I will probably create a GitHub repository. If you would like to be made a contributor/collaborator let me know and I will add you to the project.

[ed]

The repo is now live, but does not include (most of) the actual parts due to file size restrictions on GitHub.

Link

https://github.com/mjhorvath/lgeo-tools

[ed. updated notes below 2019-07-04]

#LIBRARIES
* lg_lutz - Lutz Uhlmann, included with AIOI, http://www.digitalbricks.org/lgeo.html (dead link), https://github.com/jncraton/lgeo (working link)
* lg_lgeofix - Lars C. Hassing, http://www.hassings.dk/l3/lgeofix.html
* lg_owen - Owen Burgoyne, included with AIOI, https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-6127.html, https://bricksafe.com/pages/C3POwen/lgeo
* lg_owen_fixed - Michael Horvath, contains some minor fixes, unpublished
* lg_darats - Damien Roux, http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...pic=108739
* stl_darats - Damien Roux, http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...pic=108739
* lp_orion - Orion Pobursky, non-LGEO format but is supported by LDView, https://github.com/billthefish/LDrawPOV, https://sourceforge.net/projects/ldrawpov/
* ar_old - Anton Raves, old library, non-LGEO format but is supported by L3P and included with AIOI
* ar_new - Anton Raves, new library, non-LGEO format and is not supported by other tools AFAIK, https://www.virtualbricks.nl/downloads.php

#NOTES
* Order of installation AFAIK: lutz < owen_fixed < darats
* Do not use Lars' parts!! They are older than Lutz's latest update I think.
* Don't know what to do with Anton's new parts or Orion's parts. They use different formats that may not be immediately compatible with LGEO (or with each other). It would be good to get them working along side of LGEO though.
* As of 2019/07/01, the official AIOI seems to include Owen's parts but not Damien's parts.
* In the LGEO library, ABS and PC plastic parts do not have any normals. Parts made of other materials (e.g. rubber, pearl, chrome, transparent) do have normals, however.
* By default, sloped parts don't have alternative normals, despite that the sloped parts themselves have always supported this feature. Some programs add normals to these parts, however.
* LGEO materials do not support SSLT or blurred reflections.
* As of 2019/07/01, the latest LGEO parts by Damien are missing "lg_2345p44.inc" and "lg_3794a.inc", even though they are listed in his "LGEO.xml".
* As of 2019/07/01, in Damien's version of "LGEO.xml" color 406 "lg_rubber_dark_purple" should be renamed to "lg_rubber_dark_blue" (or vice versa, I'm not entirely sure).
* As of 2019/07/01, the latest version of LGEO's "lg_color.inc" file is missing many colors, such as "color 495 - Electric_Contact_Copper" and "color 339 - Glitter_Trans_Neon_Green". This file needs to be updated to reflect the most current "LDConfig.ldr" file.
* The LGEO files "lg_10197.inc", "lg_10288.inc" and "lg_85940.inc" reference an object named "lg_tech_tube", but this object is not missing from Damien's "lg_defs.inc".
* The file is present in Owen's library and the AIOI, however. In fact, these other versions appear to be more recent than Damien's. Is there anything in Damien's version of "lg_defs.inc" that is important enough to keep?
* The files "lg_colors.lst" and "lg_elements.lst" also need to be updated after every change made to the LGEO library.
* Need to replace all instances of "lg_2582_slope" with "lg_2582" within all legacy POV-Ray files. See: https://forums.ldraw.org/showthread.php?...ode=linear
* It would be a good idea to create LGEO versions of LDBoxer parts too, as currently they are all very boxy with sharp edges, etc. Will the LDBoxer sub-folder structure cause issues?
* Several of Owen's LGEO part names have fewer than four number characters at the beginning, and should be padded with zeros to maintain the naming conventions set by Lutz and followed by everyone else.
* In Owen's LGEO library the part "lg_756" is listed twice in "LGEO.xml".
* In the spreadsheet I need to mark all remaining slope parts as sloped.
* "LDConfig.ldr" treats Glow_In_Dark_Opaque, Milky_White, Glow_In_Dark_Trans and Glow_In_Dark_White as partially transparent. LGEO treats some of these as fully solid.
* The file "lg_colors.lst" does not list MILKY or SPECKLE in it yet. What do I do?
* Also, some parts in "lg_colors.lst" have multiple material codes, but in "LDConfig.ldr" each color only has one.
* In the spreadsheets and JSON files I have ommitted the extra material information that appears in "LDConfig.ldr" for the SPECKLE material. This can easily be added back in if needed, however.
* It might be better to remove the zero padding from all LGEO part names so that they match the original LDraw part names. The padding serves no real purpose as far as I can tell, and just makes things a little bit more confusing for everyone.
* Should LGEO part names all be lower case? Should LGEO part names match the case of the original LDraw part names? Does it matter?
* The colors in "lg_color.inc" come from a variety of different places such as LDraw, LDD and LUGNET. But mainly they come from Peeron.
RE: New Repository for LGEO Library
Thanks for the hard work.

I'm done with the cleaning I wanted to do on my library, I will update my package this week. For sure!
(2019-07-02, 18:18)Damien Roux Wrote: Thanks for the hard work.

I'm done with the cleaning I wanted to do on my library, I will update my package this week. For sure!

I remembered some time last night that GitHub has a size limit on repositories. I will have to think of an alternative solution if I go over that limit.

Sad
(2019-07-02, 18:18)Damien Roux Wrote: Thanks for the hard work.

One question I have for you personally is regarding "lg_defs.inc".

Judging by the log in the file header, you are using a much older version than Owen's or the one provided by the AIOI.

Is there anything important in your version that is missing from Owen's or the AIOI's? How can I merge your changes into them?
(2019-07-03, 0:02)Michael Horvath Wrote: One question I have for you personally is regarding "lg_defs.inc".

Judging by the log in the file header, you are using a much older version than Owen's or the one provided by the AIOI.

Is there anything important in your version that is missing from Owen's or the AIOI's? How can I merge your changes into them?

My lg_defs.inc is completely different, that's why I'm not providing it in my package.

The differences are :
 - Declaring L3LDrawToLgeo and L3LgeoToLDraw (which look like old statements but as my parts are using the same scale as Ldraw, I still need them to have compatibility with legacy LGEO parts. These need to be added if one want to use my parts)
 - Remove almost every primitves (knob, column, etc..) definiton from the lg_defs.inc file and treat them as if they where part (lg_knob.inc, etc... in my STL folder that I still need to release).

Remark : I've never updated the log of my lg_defs.inc header... as it was not supposed to be released. Here is my last one (attached to this post).

Edit : I've realized the lg_defs.inc was indeed in my package, which was not intended...

Attached Files
.inc   lg_defs.inc (Size: 8.99 KB / Downloads: 3)
RE: New Parts for LGEO Library
Update: 2019/07/03 - 1

[Image: v29-1.jpg]

572a: String End Stud
572c: String Minifig Grip
2431pzb: Tile 1 x 4 with Black Stormtrooper Utility Belt Pattern
2431pz6: Tile 1 x 4 with Dark Red Lines and White and Yellow Circle Pattern
2431pz7: Tile 1 x 4 with Black Moustache and Black Beard Pattern
2431pz8: Tile 1 x 4 with Black Outlined White Teeth Pattern
2431pza: Tile 1 x 4 with Dark Red Rectangle and 2 Dark Red Trapezoids Pattern
2431pzc: Tile 1 x 4 with Metallic Silver Stormtrooper Utility Belt Pattern
2453a: Plate 1 x 1 x 5 with Hollw Stud
2453b: Plate 1 x 1 x 5 with Solid Stud
2959: Magnet Cylindrical Casing
3004pz2: Brick 1 x 2 with Green Bow Tie Pattern
3004pz5: Brick 1 x 2 with Black Spider Web Pattern
3004pz4: Brick 1 x 2 with White Trapezoidal Shape Pattern
3005: Brick 1 x 1
3010pzd: Brick 1 x 4 with Black Outlined White Star Pattern
3010pzc: Brick 1 x 4 with 3 Red Vertical Stripes Pattern
3010pza: Brick 1 x 4 with Wonder Woman Logo Pattern
3010pz9: Brick 1 x 4 with Superman Logo with Black Border Pattern
3010pz8: Brick 1 x 4 with Black Abdominal SPAM CONTENT Pattern
3010pzh: Brick 1 x 4 with Black Spider Web Pattern
3010pzq: Brick 1 x 4 4 with Black Squares and Black Stripe Pattern
3010pzk: Brick 1 x 4 with Supergirl Logo Pattern
3010pzj: Brick 1 x 4 with Red Stripes and Metallic Gold Circles Pattern
3010pzi: Brick 1 x 4 with Red Spider Pattern
3010pzb: Brick 1 x 4 with Black Batman Logo in Black Outlined Yellow Oval Pattern
3010pzg: Brick 1 x 4 with White Insect Pattern
3010pzf: Brick 1 x 4 with Metallic Gold Eye-Shaped Medallion Pattern
3010pze: Brick 1 x 4 with Metallic Silver Claw Necklace Pattern
3068bpz0: Tile 2 x 2 with Black Spider Web Pattern
3069bpz3: Tile 1 x 2 with Red Star with Black Border on Metallic Silver Background Pattern
3069bpz6: Tile 1 x 2 with Dark Red Lines Pattern
3069bpz7: Tile 1 x 2 with Black Brickheadz Joker Playing Card Pattern
3069bpz8: Tile 1 x 2 with Metallic Silver Claw Bracelet Pattern
3069bpz9: Tile 1 x 2 with Black Web Spider Pattern
3069bpza: Tile 1 x 2 with Green, Red and Light Bluish Grey Buttons on Metallic Silver Background Pattern
3069bpzb: Tile 1 x 2 with Light Bluish Grey Buttons on Metallic Silver Background Pattern
3245cpz1: Brick 1 x 2 x 2 without Understud with Black Undershirt, Metallic Dark Grey Clasps and Dark Bluish Grey Decorations Pattern
3245cpz2: Brick 1 x 2 x 2 without Understud with White Tie Pattern
3278: Tap 1 x 2 Spout
3496: Tap 1 x 2 Base
3496c01: Tap 1 x 2 with Light Grey Spout
3496c02: Tap 1 x 2 with Chrome Spout
3564: Animal Cow Horn 2.25L
4728: Plant Flower 2 x 2 with Hollow Stud
4869: Plane Jet Engine Centre
11477pz2: Slope Brick 31 1 x 2 x 0.667 with Dark Red Mythosaur Skull and White Background Pattern
15068pz1: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 2 x 0.667 with Metallic Silver and White Hole Pattern
15429: Animal Cat Tail
16770: Claw Wide with Clip
Update: 2019/07/03 - 2

[Image: v29-2.jpg]

18041: Minifig Harpoon with Smooth Bar
20482: Tile 1 x 1 Round with Pin and Pin Hole
24201: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 1 Inverted
24855: Plant Flower Stem with Bar
24866: Plate 1 x 1 with 5 Petals
25893: Plate 1 x 1 Round with Horizontal Handle Below
27263: Tile 2 x 2 Corner without Corner
28192: Slope Brick 45 2 x  1 with Cutout and without Stud
29119: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 1 with Cutout Righ
29120: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 1 with Cutout Left
30249: Slope Brick 55 1 x 6 x 5
30359a: Bar 1 x 8 with Brick 1 x 2 Curved Top End
30359b: Bar 1 x 8 with Brick 1 x 2 Curved Top End with Axlehole
30361a: Cylinder 2 x 2 x 2 Robot Body without Bottom Axle Holder
30370: Minifig Helmet Star Wars Rebel Pilot
30552: Hinge Arm Locking with Single Finger and Axlehole
30553: Hinge Arm Locking with Dual Finger and Axlehole
32059: Plate 4 x 6 without Corners
32828: Plate 1 x 1 Round with Bar
32952: Brick 1 x 1 x 1.667 with Studs on 1 Side
33291: Plate 1 x 1 Round with Tabs
34103: Plate 1 x 3 with 2 Studs Offset
41769: Wing 2 x 4 Right
41770: Wing 2 x 4 Left
43710: Wedge 4 x 2 Double Left
43711: Wedge 4 x 2 Double Right
43722: Wing 2 x 3 Right
43723: Wing 2 x 3 Left
43892: Animal Tail
47905: Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on Two Opposite Sides
52031: Wedge 4 x 6 x 0.667 Curved
53451: Minifig Helmet Viking Horn
58367: Minifig Hose Nozzle with Side String Hole
61184: Technic Pin 1/2 with Bar 2L
63868: Plate 1 x 2 with Clip Horizontal on End (Thick C-Clip)
71075a: Brick 1 x 1 x 1.667 Round
85984pz0: Slope Brick 31 1 x 2 x 0.667 with Dark Red Mythosaur Skull and White Background Pattern
87079pz2: Tile 2 x 4 with Black Cracks Pattern
87079pz4: Tile 2 x 4 with Brickheadz Seasonal Calendar Pattern
87079pz5: Tile 2 x 4 with Lego Logo and White "#LEGOSDCC" Pattern
87079pz6: Tile 2 x 4 with Black Outlined White "A" Pattern
87079pz7: Tile 2 x 4 with Metallic Silver Lines Pattern
87079pz9: Tile 2 x 4 with Brickheadz "#LEGOSDCC" "2017" Pattern
87079pza: Tile 2 x 4 with 10 Yellow Rectangles Pattern
87079pzb: Tile 2 x 4 with Lego Logo, White Star Wars Logo and Metallic Silver "NEW YORK COMIC CON 2017" Pattern
87079pzd: Tile 2 x 4 with Brickheadz Series Number "1" Pattern
87079pz8: Tile 2 x 4 with Black Spider Web Pattern
87087: Brick 1 x 1 with Studs on 1 Side
88930pz1: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 4 with Underside Studs with Yellow Arches and Circles Pattern
88930pz2: Slope Brick Curved 2 x 4 with Underside Studs with Red Trapeze and 2 Orange Ovals Pattern
91049: Plate 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.667 Round
93273: Slope Brick Curved 4 x 1 Double
93273pz0: Slope Brick Curved 4 x 1 Double with Red Star with Black Border Pattern
93273pz1: Slope Brick Curved 4 x 1 Double with Black Belt with Black Pockets Pattern
98138p0e: Tile 1 x 1 Round with Silver Dot in Thin Black Circle Pattern
98138ps5: Tile 1 x 1 Round with Dark Bluish Grey Lines in Y-Shape Pattern
99253: Minifig Lasso
(2019-07-01, 23:57)Michael Horvath Wrote: ...
* As of 2019/07/01, the LGEO files "lg_10197.inc", "lg_10288.inc" and "lg_85940.inc" reference an object named "lg_tech_tube", but this object is not defined anywhere in the library...
The lg_defs.inc accidentally included by Damien in the updated LGEO pack removes a lot of pre-defined objects required by other parts.

lg_tech_tube along with lg_tech_hole are defined in the lg_defs.inc file that comes with the AIOI.
(2019-07-03, 22:00)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: The lg_defs.inc accidentally included by Damien in the updated LGEO pack removes a lot of pre-defined objects required by other parts.

lg_tech_tube along with lg_tech_hole are defined in the lg_defs.inc file that comes with the AIOI.

I have removed the lg_defs.inc from my package.
(2019-07-03, 22:23)Damien Roux Wrote: I have removed the lg_defs.inc from my package.

If there are important things in your lg_defs.inc, then how do we use your parts if you remove this file?
These are very nice parts. Thank you, Damien.
I am making progress. The only things I have left to do is finish writing a script to generate LGEO.xml and then write documentation for everything. (I have several python scripts, JSON files, spreadsheets, etc. finished already.)

As for the GitHub disk space limit, I may just publish my tools and databases, as well as some patches and documentation on how to use them with other people's LGEO parts. I dunno. I do have a lifetime subscription to a big chunk of cloud storage, so I could store all the parts there instead.

I also updated my "notes" in my previous post with new info.
(2019-07-04, 8:01)Michael Horvath Wrote: If there are important things in your lg_defs.inc, then how do we use your parts if you remove this file?

As said in my very first post of this topic, you only need to add these statements in the lg_defs.inc :

#declare L3LDrawToLgeo = transform { matrix <0,-LG_BRICK_WIDTH/20,0, 0,0,-LG_BRICK_HEIGHT/24, -LG_BRICK_WIDTH/20,0,0, 0,0,4*LG_BRICK_HEIGHT/24> }
#declare L3LgeoToLDraw = transform { matrix <0,0,-20/LG_BRICK_WIDTH, -20/LG_BRICK_WIDTH,0,0, 0,-24/LG_BRICK_HEIGHT,0, 0,0,0> }

It will likely be merged with the official lg_defs.inc in the next AIOI. This is the last step to be done to have my library officially released. I guess Travis is on it.
(2019-07-04, 18:16)Damien Roux Wrote: It will likely be merged with the official lg_defs.inc in the next AIOI. This is the last step to be done to have my library officially released. I guess Travis is on it.

That's not entirely true. LDView does not include any LGEO library, and I don't plan to change that. However, I am considering including two LGEO.xml files in the next LDView release, one for Damien's library, and the other one the same as before (from the last LGEO released by Lutz Uhlmann). There would then be a check box in the installer that you would be able to check to use the LGEO.xml that is compatible with Damien's version of LGEO.

The AIOI is handled by Willy. Hopefully, if he includes Damien's version of LGEO, he can also have the LDView install include the appropriate LGEO.xml that goes with it.
(2019-07-04, 20:30)Travis Cobbs Wrote: That's not entirely true. LDView does not include any LGEO library, and I don't plan to change that. However, I am considering including two LGEO.xml files in the next LDView release, one for Damien's library, and the other one the same as before (from the last LGEO released by Lutz Uhlmann). There would then be a check box in the installer that you would be able to check to use the LGEO.xml that is compatible with Damien's version of LGEO.

The AIOI is handled by Willy. Hopefully, if he includes Damien's version of LGEO, he can also have the LDView install include the appropriate LGEO.xml that goes with it.

Ah OK, sorry for the mistake.

Just one question: why would you use a seperate check box if Willy includes my parts in the AIOI ? Once the cleaning is done, it should be OK to have only one LGEO.xml, no ?
(2019-07-04, 20:30)Travis Cobbs Wrote: That's not entirely true. LDView does not include any LGEO library, and I don't plan to change that. However, I am considering including two LGEO.xml files in the next LDView release, one for Damien's library, and the other one the same as before (from the last LGEO released by Lutz Uhlmann). There would then be a check box in the installer that you would be able to check to use the LGEO.xml that is compatible with Damien's version of LGEO.

Damien and I were discussing "lg_defs.inc" not "LGEO.xml" in case that's the source of your confusion.
(2019-07-05, 15:56)Michael Horvath Wrote: Damien and I were discussing "lg_defs.inc" not "LGEO.xml" in case that's the source of your confusion.

LDView doesn't include that file in its release either, and won't in the future.
(2019-07-05, 17:58)Travis Cobbs Wrote: LDView doesn't include that file in its release either, and won't in the future.

It might not be included with LDView in the future, but it is included with the AIOI.

[ed]

Disregard. I am not following the discussion in this thread very well.
LGEO.xml and Python help
I have created a Python script to generate LGEO.xml from a database of parts. But I am having problems with the

Code:
&#x0A;

character entity. I describe the problem in more detail at Stack Exchange. Otherwise, the script is working well. Does anybody here have experience with Python? Thanks.

[ed]

I got the issue resolved. Sorry for the waste of time.
If anyone is still interested, here is a repository for my tools:

https://github.com/mjhorvath/lgeo-tools

I have only uploaded a few of the actual LGEO parts that needed updating, however. The updated parts -- as well as new versions of "lg_colors.lst", "lg_elements.lst", and "LGEO.xml" -- are located in the "parts" directory of the repo.
I am running into issues with some of the parts.

"lg_0069.inc" is trying to include "69.inc" but I cannot find the latter file anywhere.

There are a few more parts that do this too.
(2019-07-09, 1:48)Michael Horvath Wrote: I am running into issues with some of the parts.

"lg_0069.inc" is trying to include "69.inc" but I cannot find the latter file anywhere.

There are a few more parts that do this too.

If you can give a list of those, I will make the corrections.
(2019-07-09, 21:39)Damien Roux Wrote: If you can give a list of those, I will make the corrections.

I included every one of your parts, and these were the issues that cropped up:

Code:
69.inc    missing file
70.inc    missing file
481.inc    missing file
482.inc    missing file
lg_metallic_dark_grey    missing color
168275a.inc    missing file
168295a.inc    missing file
192425.inc    missing file
LDXColor322    missing color
2684s01a.inc    missing file
2684s01b.inc    missing file
2837.inc    missing file
2986c01a.inc    missing file
2986c01b.inc    missing_file
2986c01c.inc    missing_file
lego_logo_text_tech    missing object
192425.inc    missing file
LDXColor128    missing color
3678.inc    missing file
3957.inc    missing file
3962.inc    missing file
4032.inc    missing file
4151.inc    missing file
4220.inc    missing file
4617.inc    missing file
4755a.inc    missing file
4755b.inc    missing file
4757a.inc    missing file
4757b.inc    missing file
4758a.inc    missing file
4758b.inc    missing file
4768a.inc    missing file
4768b.inc    missing file
4768c.inc    missing file
4768d.inc    missing file
4772a.inc    missing file
4772b.inc    missing file
4772c.inc    missing file
4772d.inc    missing file
4772e.inc    missing file
4773aa.inc    missing file
4773ab.inc    missing file
4774a.inc    missing file
4774b.inc    missing file
4865.inc    missing file
4869.inc    missing file
48729.inc    missing file
5306aa.inc    missing file
5306ab.inc    missing file
Studela.inc    missing file
Studelb.inc    missing file
RE: New Parts for LGEO Library - LDView colors
I noticed that you (ed. Damien) put some of the LDXColorNNN references within the parts themselves. I see why you did this, but don't think it is a good idea. These colors are specific to LDView, and other tools won't know what to do.
RE: New Parts for LGEO Library - parts naming inconsistencies
I notice that some LDraw part names get padded with zeros when creating LGEO versions.

For instance, LDraw uses these names for some parts:

Code:
1.dat
10.dat
100.dat

Lutz then padded the names with zeros (as well as added a prefix and changed the extension) to get:

Code:
lg_0001.inc
lg_0010.inc
lg_0100.inc

But not everyone does this consistently. Owen did not pad any of his parts names with zeros. Some of Damien's parts names are padded, others are not padded. I think we should decide whether it is important to do this consistently, or possibly even whether we should do it at all. (The padding makes writing some scripts harder than simply reusing the original LDRaw file names. For instance, in MS Excel, adding and removing the zeros is difficult and messy.)

Opinions?
I've updated my package and my lgeo.xml with the following :

69.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
70.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
481.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
482.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
lg_metallic_dark_grey missing color : lg_color_LDX_L3P.inc updated
168275a.inc missing file : Sticker : Removed (wasn't defined in the lgeo.xml)
168295a.inc missing file : Sticker : Removed[color=#FF30DC] (wasn't defined in the lgeo.xml)[/color]
192425.inc missing file : Sticker : Removed [color=#FF30DC](wasn't defined in the lgeo.xml)[/color]
LDXColor322 missing color : lg_color_LDX_L3P.inc updated
2684s01a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
2684s01b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
2837.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
2986c01a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
2986c01b.inc missing_file : Not needed anymore : Removed
2986c01c.inc missing_file : Not needed anymore : Removed
lego_logo_text_tech missing object : Could you tell me which part cause this problem?
192425.inc missing file : Sticker : Removed [color=#FF30DC](wasn't defined in the lgeo.xml)[/color]
LDXColor128 missing color : lg_color_LDX_L3P.inc updated
3678.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
3957.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
3962.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4032.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4151.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4220.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4617.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4755a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4755b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4757a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4757b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4758a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4758b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4768a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4768b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4768c.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4768d.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4772a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4772b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4772c.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4772d.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4772e.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4773aa.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4773ab.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4774a.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4774b.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
4865.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
4869.inc missing file : File is existing, don't see where the error is
48729.inc missing file : Obsolete part : Corrected
5306aa.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
5306ab.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
Studela.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed
Studelb.inc missing file : Not needed anymore : Removed

[color=#000000]Could[/color] you check if you don't have any missing file anymore?
Thanks a lot for pointing these out!

Also :
* As of 2019/07/01, the official AIOI seems to include Owen's parts but not Damien's parts. : True!
* As of 2019/07/01, the latest LGEO parts by Damien are missing "lg_2345p44.inc" and "lg_3794a.inc", even though they are listed in his "LGEO.xml". : Parts have been created and are ready for my next release.
[color=#000000]* The LGEO files "lg_10197.inc", "lg_10288.inc" and "lg_85940.inc" reference an object named "lg_tech_tube", but this object is not missing from Damien's "lg_defs.inc". [color=#005DC2]: Parts have been created and are ready for my next release. So no more need of "lg_tech_tube"[/color][/color].
* As of 2019/07/01, in Damien's version of "LGEO.xml" color 406 "lg_rubber_dark_purple" should be renamed to "lg_rubber_dark_blue" (or vice versa, I'm not entirely sure). : I don't know either. : Renamed to "lg_rubber_dark_blue"
* In the LGEO library, ABS and PC plastic parts do not have any normals. Parts made of other materials (e.g. rubber, pearl, chrome, transparent) do have normals, however. : I have attached my personnal "lg_color.inc" file which should correct that. Please be careful because I have tweaked the colors to suit my personnal taste, they are not defined based on whatever color chart. Be aware of that.
* By default, sloped parts don't have alternative normals, despite that the sloped parts themselves have always supported this feature. Some programs add normals to these parts, however. : I have attached my personnal "lg_color.inc" file which should correct that. Please be careful because I have tweaked the colors to suit my personnal taste, they are not defined based on whatever color chart.[color=#005DC2] Be aware of that.[/color]
[color=#005DC2][color=#000000]* As of 2019/07/01, the latest version of LGEO's "lg_color.inc" file is missing many colors, such as "color 495 - Electric_Contact_Copper" and "color 339 - Glitter_Trans_Neon_Green". This file needs to be updated to reflect the most current "LDConfig.ldr" file. My lg_color.inc" file should have a bit more of them.[/color][/color]
[color=#005DC2][color=#000000]* LGEO materials do not support SSLT or blurred reflections. : Be careful with that as it will signifiquently increase the rendering time with PovRay, which already not really fast. But it needs to be studied.[/color][/color]
* In Owen's LGEO library the part "lg_756" is listed twice in "LGEO.xml". I have it on my library as "lg_0756", so it might not be needed anymore.
* "LDConfig.ldr" treats Glow_In_Dark_Opaque, Milky_White, Glow_In_Dark_Trans and Glow_In_Dark_White as partially transparent. LGEO treats some of these as fully solid. It might be a bit different in my "lg_color" definition
* It might be better to remove the zero padding from all LGEO part names so that they match the original LDraw part names. The padding serves no real purpose as far as I can tell, and just makes things a little bit more confusing for everyone. [color=#005DC2]Even if I've used zeros for less than 4 digit part numbers, I would 100% agree to remove them.
* Should LGEO part names all be lower case? Should LGEO part names match the case of the original LDraw part names? Does it matter? Yes, I would put lower cases everywhere even if PovRay is not case-sensitve with ".inc" files[/color]

Attached Files
.inc   lg_color.inc (Size: 29.36 KB / Downloads: 5)
(2019-07-10, 21:47)Michael Horvath Wrote: I noticed that you (ed. Damien) put some of the LDXColorNNN references within the parts themselves. I see why you did this, but don't think it is a good idea. These colors are specific to LDView, and other tools won't know what to do.

I agree with you, but I've never thought about another way to do it. Also, original parts from Lutz where also embedding colors like this, as far as I remember.
(2019-07-10, 22:12)Michael Horvath Wrote: I notice that some LDraw part names get padded with zeros when creating LGEO versions.

For instance, LDraw uses these names for some parts:

Code:
1.dat
10.dat
100.dat

Lutz then padded the names with zeros (as well as added a prefix and changed the extension) to get:

Code:
lg_0001.inc
lg_0010.inc
lg_0100.inc

But not everyone does this consistently. Owen did not pad any of his parts names with zeros. Some of Damien's parts names are padded, others are not padded. I think we should decide whether it is important to do this consistently, or possibly even whether we should do it at all. (The padding makes writing some scripts harder than simply reusing the original LDRaw file names. For instance, in MS Excel, adding and removing the zeros is difficult and messy.)

Opinions?

100% agree on removing the first "0", I could rework my parts and lgeo.xml in this way.
I've used the same "rule" as Lutz, have at least 4 characters, so every part bellow 999 begins with "0".
(2019-07-10, 23:53)Damien Roux Wrote: 100% agree on removing the first "0", I could rework my parts and lgeo.xml in this way.
I've used the same "rule" as Lutz, have at least 4 characters, so every part bellow 999 begins with "0".

Removing the zeros from all the files will take some work. I can create a Python script to do it I think. I will start with Lutz's parts.
(2019-07-10, 23:46)Damien Roux Wrote: lego_logo_text_tech missing object : Could you tell me which part cause this problem?

These files:
lg_30359a.inc
lg_30359b.inc
lg_30361a.inc

(2019-07-10, 23:46)Damien Roux Wrote: 4869.inc missing file : File is existing, don't see where the error is

Oops! The file is not missing. However, it is looking for an object called lego_logo_text which it can't find.
(2019-07-10, 23:52)Damien Roux Wrote: I agree with you, but I've never thought about another way to do it. Also, original parts from Lutz where also embedding colors like this, as far as I remember.

The issue is not with the fact that you embedded the colors in the parts. The problem is that you used a variable name that is specific to LDView's output.

I think instead we should create new "material" and "slope" versions of LGEO's existing "textures".
(2019-07-10, 23:46)Damien Roux Wrote: [color=#000000]Could[/color] you check if you don't have any missing file anymore?
Thanks a lot for pointing these out!

Did you update your first post in this thread? The post says it was last modified July 3.
(2019-07-10, 23:52)Damien Roux Wrote: I agree with you, but I've never thought about another way to do it. Also, original parts from Lutz where also embedding colors like this, as far as I remember.

Here is my suggestion for an alternative.

Code:
#declare lg_black = texture { ... }
#declare lg_black_slope = texture { lg_black normal { lg_slope_normal } }
#declare lg_black_mat = material { texture { lg_black } interior { lg_ior } }
#declare lg_black_mat_slope = material { texture { lg_black_slope } interior { lg_ior } }

Or something much like that.
(2019-07-11, 1:01)Michael Horvath Wrote: Removing the zeros from all the files will take some work. I can create a Python script to do it I think. I will start with Lutz's parts.

Michael,

You might want to check out the Bulk Rename Utility, it considerably speeds up the file renaming process (batch rename), and it is very flexible. Also, there is a no installation .zip file in the download page and it is free.
(2019-07-11, 2:10)Michael Horvath Wrote: Did you update your first post in this thread? The post says it was last modified July 3.

Yes, you can use links in the first post here.
I haven't updated the date indeed.
(2019-07-11, 3:14)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Michael,

You might want to check out the Bulk Rename Utility, it considerably speeds up the file renaming process (batch rename), and it is very flexible. Also, there is a no installation .zip file in the download page and it is free.

Thanks! Does this program look inside the files too? The POV-Ray objects inside the affected include files will also need to be renamed.
(2019-07-11, 3:14)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Michael,

I wrote a script to do all this already, so don't worry about it.
I took a look at your "lg_color.inc". Very nice work!

Anyway, some comments.

1. Which version of "LDConfig.ldr" are you basing it off of? Mine is dated 2017-12-15.

2. The greys:

lg_light_gray
lg_dark_gray
lg_light_bluish_gray
lg_dark_bluish_gray
lg_metallic_dark_gray
lg_pearl_light_gray
lg_pearl_dark_gray
lg_pearl_very_light_gray
lg_very_light_bluish_gray
lg_rubber_light_gray
lg_rubber_light_bluish_gray
lg_very_light_gray

I'm not sure we should rename "grey" to "gray". That might confuse old scenes. TLG also uses "grey" versus "gray".

3. The lilacs:

These should all have the word "lilac" in them AFAIK.

lg_trans_light_purple
lg_light_purple
lg_dark_purple
lg_medium_purple
lg_medium_violet_alt

4. lg_pearl_gold should be lg_pearl_light_gold

5. Could you make a texture for Trans_Reddish_Lilac too please? It is a pretty typical transparent texture.

6. Ditto for Metallic_Bright_Red and Metallic_Dark_Green. They are typical metal textures AFAIK.

Otherwise, awesome job! Thanks!
7. trans_black_ir_lens should be lg_trans_black_ir_lens
Damien, I don't know if you are still taking requests, but if you do and have the time this part:

44358.dat

could use some of your magic.
(2019-11-08, 22:14)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Damien, I don't know if you are still taking requests, but if you do and have the time this part:

44358.dat

could use some of your magic.

I'm having a break at the time, but the part is quite simple, I will have a look.
Part is done, just re-download the package and the lgeo.xml file (1st post of this thread).

[Image: 44358.jpg]

I don't make an "official" update as I don't have enough new parts yet.
That is amazing!! Thank you so much!!
Hi Damien, this work is absolutely smashing, thank you for working on this. I just have a continuous problem on some parts when I try to render - you can see the parse error in the screenshot I attached 
.png   Capture.PNG (Size: 16.75 KB / Downloads: 208)
I've added the last two lines after the } in the lg_defs.inc file by the way and using your LGEO.xml. I'm not sure how to fix the parse errors, so could you possibly give any tips on where I'm going wrong? Many thanks
(2020-04-25, 0:57)Zoltan Wrote: Hi Damien, this work is absolutely smashing, thank you for working on this. I just have a continuous problem creeping up on a lot of parts when I try to render - you can see the parse error in the screenshot I attached 
I've added the last two lines after the } in the lg_defs.inc file by the way and using your LGEO.xml. For now I've just replaced the .inc files which give an error. I'm not sure how to fix the parse errors, so could you possibly give any tips on where I'm going wrong? Many thanks

After an entire day of re-downloading LGEO files,changing directories and library paths, and producing multiple pov files, the issue seemed to fix itself ?‍♂️. Honestly don't know what happened.
(2020-04-25, 23:21)Zoltan Wrote: After an entire day of re-downloading LGEO files,changing directories and library paths, and producing multiple pov files, the issue seemed to fix itself ?‍♂️. Honestly don't know what happened.
Great you managed to make it work.
I still need to work on this, but wasn't able yet to find the time for it.
Hi all.

It's been some time now that I didn't put some time in this LGEO library...
I'm thinking about getting into it again, to maybe finally finilize it to allow an integration to the AIOI.

But before, I'd like to know if there are still some people that would be interested in it. Is PovRay still used? Would it worth the effort?
(2020-10-11, 1:19)Damien Roux Wrote: Hi all.

I'm thinking about getting into it again, to maybe finally finilize it to allow an integration to the AIOI.

But before, I'd like to know if there are still some people that would be interested in it. Is PovRay still used? Would it worth the effort?

I wouldn't want you to feel overwhelmed or obligated, but I'm sure I can find a list of parts that could use your magic. Big Grin They certainly end up looking amazing.

I still see people asking for help troubleshooting and understanding POV-Ray, so I must assume that it is still used.
(2020-10-11, 1:19)Damien Roux Wrote: I'm thinking about getting into it again, to maybe finally finilize it to allow an integration to the AIOI.

Damien,

your library is always welcome.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2020-10-11, 1:19)Damien Roux Wrote: Hi all.

+1

I'm still using POV-Ray to render, and would definitely welcome more high quality part models Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »