LDCad 1.2a (win+linux)

Re: LDCad feature requests
I have that on my to do list for quite some time, I'll see if i can implement it in one of the upcoming 1.3 beta's.
Re: LDCad 1.2a (win+linux)
If you place:

0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Model

somewhere in the header (e.g. below the author line), it should force the (all type 1 lines) file to be used as a model no matter where it's located.
Do I need to do this for each and every sub-model in an MPD file?

[edit]

Also, a lot of my models have "0 Unofficial Model". Will that suffice?
'0 Unofficial Model' will do in 1.3 but 1.2 only recognizes the !LDRAW_ORG meta at the moment.

Every model need that line.

But why are you placing the model files in the library location anyway? Why not use a different location and add that location to the ldraw search paths.

It's good practice to keep the parts and models separate hence the assumption I made when stuff is located in a part source.
Roland Melkert Wrote:'0 Unofficial Model' will do in 1.3 but 1.2 only recognizes the !LDRAW_ORG meta at the moment.

Which is the official method?

Roland Melkert Wrote:Every model need that line.

Including MPD sub-models?

Roland Melkert Wrote:Why not use a different location and add that location to the ldraw search paths.

That *is* what I am doing.
I'm sorry I thought you were loading models from the parts location, the meta is only needed if you do that. If you get the yellow cross while loading from a non library location something else is going on.

I'll do some test tomorrow to see if things work like they should concerning the 'assume part' stuff and models in non library search locations.

I'm sorry about the confusion.
Roland Melkert Wrote:'0 Unofficial Model' will do in 1.3 but 1.2 only recognizes the !LDRAW_ORG meta at the moment.

FYI, I also have a lot of models with "0 Unofficial Datsville Minifig Model" or "0 Unofficial Datsville Model". These were all created before I started working on Datsville.
I've tested loading a model from a location that's in the search paths, but for me it loads like it should without any meta etc.

So unless you place a model inside the parts or p folders the meta shouldn't be needed. Only exception on this is the presence of a 2..5 line in the model file, which will degrade the model to a part. Which for large models causes the yellow cross and all others will be read only after loading.

If you think things aren't like I saying, could you send me your log files please (you'll find my email on the LDCad site). That way I see your search order and model locations etc in one go.
I can't reproduce the issue either. Maybe it went away when I fixed some of my models.

However, I still don't understand how I can add models from my Datsville directory. I added the path to the search vector as a "User Folder" type. When I click on the "Model (content) overview/information groups" button I get five sub-buttons: "All models currently loaded", "Content of current models file", "All models used by the current model (recursively)", "All parts used in the current model (recursive)" and "All parts used in the current step". There's no option for "All models in the search path".
The all models group displays all models currently loaded, so to place one model into another you have to load both models first. I was thinking about adding a new overview group able to list all models in some folder but I'm afraid that will take forever to load in large folders.
2. In Windows a lot of programs allow you to associate a file extension with a program. When I try to do this with LDCad an error is spawned when double-clicking on a model file. It would be nice if LDCad could handle this situation.

Mike
I agree with you.
It's in the planning Smile The problem I'm having is this functionality is somewhat difficult to implement for the Linux version and I like to keep the two versions identical feature wise.
3. Could you change the color of the program icon? I keep getting it confused with MLCAD and vise versa. Thanks.
I want to make a different one altogether (along with the main part bin pictures), but it's very low on my todo list.
Might it be possible to have the option (toggled in Prefs) to limit the free view rotation to only 2 axes; like in LDD? It's hard to explain, but right now I can rotate around models in LDCad in 3 axes, which can cause the model to "tumble" and make it harder to orient than it should be. An example: in LDD, if I want just look at the top, it's much easier. I just hold down the right mouse button and drag down. In LDCad, if I just want to look at the top, I have to keep my mouse as close to the center of the screen as possible when dragging, otherwise the model starts to rotate around the screen instead of pivoting the top of the model toward me.
It's been requested before, and I have looked into it but locking the y axis isn't that easy in my current code. This is because you could lock it at any time, and the whole LDD system is based on Y always being vertical.

So I decided to implement a complete second rotation system (and some additional camera improvements) at some point, but I want to first release 1.3 beta 1 somewhere soon so it probably be in beta 2 or the final 1.3 version.

I did however implement right mouse button rotation, so you can rotate/move at any time (not just by background clicks) even during part placement.
4. Could you add an additional camera feature where the camera remains at the same altitude above the ground plane no matter what direction the camera is pointing in? This is kind of like a video game where the camera remains at the same height, but you can scroll left, right, forward, backward, etc. Thanks.
I actually considered a sort of a walk though mode at some point, but shelved it thinking you could do such things more dynamically once the animation engine is in place.

In the mean time you can sort of fake what you want by using ctrl+shift+left mouse (inside the compass), this moves the lookat across the editing plane, so when you set an appropriate editing plane you can float over it at a static height that way. In 1.3 that will be even easier as it offers right mouse rotate/move so you can use it anywhere in the editing space.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »