Project "Transparent Envelope" as Help for virtual construction using MLCad

Project "Transparent Envelope" as Help for virtual construction using MLCad
Available
Relative complex object which fits in a volume of about 20 x 20 x 20 cm

Target
Building this object from Lego in a scale of 1:2.5 (volume about 50 x 50 x 50 cm) using MLCad, LDView and LPub

Possible Solution
(1) Scanning the object
(2) Scaling Scan Data (1:2.5) and saving as object.stl File
(3) Converting object.stl to object.dat using program STL2DAT
(4) Integrating object.dat in LDraw Library (under Models)
(5) Temporary mod of LDConfig.ldr by adding a more transparent color "Trans_Clear_Clear" (just done)
(6) Positioning object.dat in MLCad and assigning the new transparency "Trans_Clear_Clear"
(7) Building the model inside the transparent envelope with best fit (checking with LDView)

Need Help
(1) I do not own a Laser Scanner and 123D does not delivery usable results so the object has to be scanned by a external Scan Service. What have I to observe placing the order ?
(2) What do you think - would the relatively old program STL2DAT be able to convert the STL file delivered by such a Scan Service using modern hard- and software ? I do not really understand the options I have to use with STL2DAT - how can I find out best values ?
(3) I added the more transparent color "Trans_Clear_Clear" temporarily to LDConfig.ldr by copying existing definition for "Trans_Clear" and changing CODE to 48 (unused color) and ALPHA from 128 to 100. It seems for me that ALPHA is a measure for the transparency - what is the usable (allowed) range of this value ? (e.g. 64 does not work)

Thank you for any recommendations,

Arthur
-----
I know I am part of a story that starts long before I can remember and continues long beyond when anyone will remember me [Long Now: Danny Hillis, Desinger of the 10'000 Year Clock]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Project "Transparent Envelope" as Help for virtual construction using MLCad - by Arthur Sigg - 2012-11-07, 19:53