Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio

Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio
I see we have two options here for download, the .dat file or the zip file. The zip file sometimes contains extra files in folders such as “S” or “P” etc. If I want to import a part into BL Studio should I import these extra files as well?

I have also been told that I should rename the .dat files as it can happen that the file already exists in BL Studio but is hidden and this can cause a conflict such as the part not showing up in the Custom Parts menu.
RE: Using downloaded .dat files in BL Studio
Generally you will need all the files in the zip file.

Those "s" files are so-called subfiles and are usually things that are mirrored or used mulltiple times in a part, so you need them
There might also be "p" files, primitives, that were made new to aid in the construction of the parts, so they are necessary as well.

In addition, as we changed hte naming of the ring prims, some parts might refer to prims that are currently not part of Studio, so those prims are included as well, we talked about it and I think Orion has already updated the zip Generator.

Sometimes Studio may already contain a "raw" file in their library, that was imported by them and sometimes is not really in line with our specs. THose parts are given preference As Studio looks up parts in this order:

- parts
- unofficial
- custom

as custom is last, if they included that part already, you will never see the custom one.

br Gerald
(2024-09-20, 9:11)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Generally you will need all the files in the zip file.

Those "s" files are so-called subfiles and are usually things that are mirrored or used mulltiple times in a part, so you need them
There might also be "p" files, primitives, that were made new to aid in the construction of the parts, so they are necessary as well.

In addition, as we changed hte naming of the ring prims, some parts might refer to prims that are currently not part of Studio, so those prims are included as well, we talked about it and I think Orion has already updated the zip Generator.

Sometimes Studio may already contain a "raw" file in their library, that was imported by them and sometimes is not really in line with our specs. THose parts are given preference As Studio looks up parts in this order:

- parts
- unofficial
- custom

as custom is last, if they included that part already, you will never see the custom one.

br Gerald
All but one of the Duplo parts that are already in Studio are hidden due to problems at present with connectivity. So it looks as if I will have to rename the files and I guess that means I will also have to rename any files in the S, collider and connectivity folds that look like they are linked as well?

I see many of the parts in the “P” folder have the same name, so I am guess these are the same?

Thanks, Clive
(2024-09-20, 17:19)Lawford Wrote: All but one of the Duplo parts that are already in Studio are hidden due to problems at present with connectivity. So it looks as if I will have to rename the files and I guess that means I will also have to rename any files in the S, collider and connectivity folds that look like they are linked as well?

I see many of the parts in the “P” folder have the same name, so I am guess these are the same?

Thanks, Clive

Have you tried Stud.io's internal Part Designer to import them?

I mostly use this and thus far it worked well, especially since it handles the collider and connectivity files as well.

The tool will usually tell you if a subfile is missing. If the file works in LDView but Part Designer still complains, try to put everything (including the main file) in the same folder.

The collider and connectivity folders are required by Stud.io to handle those properties, so yes, if you want connectivity and collision to work correctly on your part, you need 3 different files with the same name (except file extension) in their respective folders.

Regarding the p folder parts, if you mean the ones you downloaded, yes those should be identical.

May I ask which part is causing troubles?
(2024-09-25, 18:40)Chris Böhnke Wrote: Have you tried Stud.io's internal Part Designer to import them?

I mostly use this and thus far it worked well, especially since it handles the collider and connectivity files as well.

The tool will usually tell you if a subfile is missing. If the file works in LDView but Part Designer still complains, try to put everything (including the main file) in the same folder.

The collider and connectivity folders are required by Stud.io to handle those properties, so yes, if you want connectivity and collision to work correctly on your part, you need 3 different files with the same name (except file extension) in their respective folders.

Regarding the p folder parts, if you mean the ones you downloaded, yes those should be identical.

May I ask which part is causing troubles?
Thanks Chris,

I'll try out the Part Designer next time, I didn't know that was a possibility. Will it automatically save the parts to the right Custom Parts folders or do you have to choose them? 

As I understand it, Studio has not figured out a way to connect Duplo parts properly within Studio. Therefore the Duplo parts that are already in Studio are hidden till they figure this out. This in turn causes a problem when we upload the same part into the Custom Parts folders and is the reason for having to rename the files for the parts to show up. Studio will automatically check the Main folder first where it will find the hidden part so therefore it will not show up.

A couple of examples of files I had to rename are 6377 and 3437.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »