phandle prims

phandle prims
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...andle1.dat

Why is the origin where it is? The reason of "that's the way we do things for clips" isn't good enough in my opinion.

Also, this phandle1 could reference phandle2 since most of the geometry is the same. In that case 2 should probably become 1 and vice versa.
RE: phandle prims
(2022-09-07, 15:12)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Why is the origin where it is? The reason of "that's the way we do things for clips" isn't good enough in my opinion.

Also, this phandle1 could reference phandle2 since most of the geometry is the same. In that case 2 should probably become 1 and vice versa.

I'll fix this then, since I edited all the parts using them, but where should the origin be?

Using phandle2 inside phandle1 would add a lot of really unnecessary triangles. I don't like that.
(2022-09-07, 16:37)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I'll fix this then, since I edited all the parts using them, but where should the origin be?

Using phandle2 inside phandle1 would add a lot of really unnecessary triangles. I don't like that.

I'm not saying it needs to be changed but I do want to understand why this particular point was chosen since it seems odd.

And referencing phandle2 would add a 3-4disc and 2 quads or am I wrong?
(2022-09-07, 16:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: And referencing phandle2 would add a 3-4disc and 2 quads or am I wrong?

phandle2 has 2 bar sized holes, and I would have to close one of them to make phandle1.
And closing one of them should be a 3-4disc and 2 quads (or 4-4disc and relevant ering) unless I'm mistaken.
(2022-09-07, 15:12)Orion Pobursky Wrote: https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...andle1.dat

Why is the origin where it is? The reason of "that's the way we do things for clips" isn't good enough in my opinion.

Origin matched top of the plate
(2022-09-07, 20:49)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Origin matched top of the plate

Why not even with the end of the prim then instead of the middle of the hole?

Nevermind, it doesn't really matter.
(2022-09-07, 15:12)Orion Pobursky Wrote: https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...andle1.dat

I retract my opinion, as stated above. These primitives are fine as is.
(2022-09-07, 20:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: And closing one of them should be a 3-4disc and 2 quads (or 4-4disc and relevant ering) unless I'm mistaken.

Nope.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »