Oldies but goldies...
8868 - Air Tech Claw Rig - Dump Truck
[Image: 8868.png]
Alternate model of 8868 set.
Download MPD (OMR compliant)
Known errors: none.
Done with LDCad 1.6 alpha 4

Random notes...
- Max's work on an old model (http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21839.html) made me want to try an old studded Technic set. What better one than this model - with a pneumatic state machine!
- Old building instructions were definitely not for the faint hearted - only 24 pages for this model! The average quality of the scan doesn't help...
- Pneumatic tubing remains tedious...
- Some angles in the skip are only (close) approximations - I think it actually relies on part flexibility.
RE: 8868 - Air Tech Claw Rig - Dump Truck
(2016-10-17, 13:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - Some angles in the skip are only (close) approximations - I think it actually relies on part flexibility.
I think you talk about the 1x10 brick with the connected 1x2 and 1x6 brick connected with the 1x16 brick?! As far as I can remember from the real world model you are right, it relies on part flexibility.
Anyway - this reminds me, that I need some spare parts, cause time has eaten the plastic softener of some parts...

/Max
(2016-10-17, 13:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Alternate model of 8868 set.
Hi Philippe,

thank you for building and contributing this model! I searched for the main model without luck. If it's not done yet, I would appreciate to jump in and try my best (with a bit of fear about all those pneumatic hoses which I installed many times in reality so many years ago).

Best regards
Stefan
(2020-02-05, 6:06)Stefan Frenz Wrote: (with a bit of fear about all those pneumatic hoses which I installed many times in reality so many years ago).
The good point of virtual hoses is they don't suffer from ageing problems Big Grin
...step 23 of 32 done... Smile  I just added a single rubber band, and the file size grew from 30 to 200 kb for the generated segments... I know, this is not a "big file", but I would like to ask if there are hints for rubber bands like for hoses (see Philippe's hints for the 8854 Power Crane) - so I would play with them. Smile I can't figure out the correct part-replacement and the options to change... Huh
The templates I use for compatibility with Studio are LQ type and should provide smaller files. Drawback, the band is thinner, making it thicker would require to add a scaled cylinder element in the library (and in Studio custom elements)...
Attached these templates! (To be put in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\LDCad\templates\path)

Attached Files
.ldr   rubberBandRound-studio.ldr (Size: 650 bytes / Downloads: 3)
.ldr   rubberBandSquare-Studio.ldr (Size: 651 bytes / Downloads: 2)
This is awesome! Cool The required space for the rubber band is reduced from 170 kb to 14 kb. Big Grin
(2020-02-09, 17:23)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Drawback, the band is thinner, making it thicker would require to add a scaled cylinder element in the library
Also thank you for pointing there. With a scaled 4-4cyli2.dat (done with text editor) as donPart included in the mpd, the rubber has correct thickness and the required file space is very very tiny. Smile
...May I ask: is there a LQ alternative for the 9V cable (path\elecCable2Brick), too?
Finally: attached is the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig.  Smile  These are the first stickers I've made (on a foreign Windows machine), so hopefully they are ok. All paths (hoses, rubber bands, electric cable) are in LQ to reduce file size dramatically - zoomed to much you'll see edges, but to me it looks well enough. Cool

Done with LDCad 1.6c (Linux64).
Image rendered with POV-Ray.
Stickers created and included.
Known issues: none, file should be OMR compliant.

Edit: mpd removed, please use updated version below.

As always: all suggestions, hints or comments are warmly welcome.
Best regards
Stefan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2020-02-11, 21:35)Stefan Frenz Wrote: ...May I ask: is there a LQ alternative for the 9V cable (path\elecCable2Brick), too?
You can probably make one using 993.dat as cable segment.
(2020-02-14, 12:00)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: You can probably make one using 993.dat as cable segment.
Thanks a lot! Smile  Will upload the updated file in post below.
Thanks to Philippe for the 993-hint, attached is an updated file (almost same file size but edges are reduced significantly).

Attached Files
.mpd   8868-1 - Airtech Claw Rig.mpd (Size: 453.81 KB / Downloads: 9)
Thanks to Roland for "how to do hoses better", attached is an updated file.
EDIT: removed, there are more errors. Sad
(2020-02-27, 18:46)Stefan Frenz Wrote: Thanks to Roland for "how to do hoses better", attached is an updated file.
This version won't render in POV ray as it still has quite some overlapping control points.

Also some of the very short twisty ones will look better if you change the skin's basesize to 100% and it's overlap to 50%
(2020-02-27, 19:43)Roland Melkert Wrote: This version won't render in POV ray as it still has quite some overlapping control points.
Thanks again... I'm sorry. Sad

Now I stepped through all hoses, and now POVray renders.  Smile  It renders, but there are warnings:
Code:
File '8868.pov' line 37583: Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.
File '8868.pov' line 71187: Parse Warning: Normal vector in mesh2 cannot be zero - changing it to <1,0,0>.
File '8868.pov' line 71287: Parse Warning: Normal vector in mesh2 cannot be zero - changing it to <1,0,0>.
File '8868.pov' line 71385: Parse Warning: Normal vector in mesh2 cannot be zero - changing it to <1,0,0>.
File '8868.pov' line 71479: Parse Warning: Normal vector in mesh2 cannot be zero - changing it to <1,0,0>.
File '8868.pov' line 75203: Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.
The first warning is about 63325.dat (official part which contains only one reference to 2420), the last one is about the main (which contains only my model). I think those two are "warning but ok". The four in the middle are all about the stickers I've created: all normal vectors are ok except the last six. Those are <0,0,0> and I have no idea what I could do now. Sad  Or is this ok? The rendered image is fine including stickers.
(2020-02-27, 22:01)Stefan Frenz Wrote: .... Should have at least 2 objects in csg

Those shouldn't be a problem, I'm not sure why it adds the union though. Could be a bug or it might have to do with some situation where it always has to be a union. Don't know for sure has been along time since I worked on that part of the code Smile

Those 0,0,0 normals in the sticker part mesh might be the result of smoothing failing to calculate a perpendicular vector for tiny triangles. This because LDCad uses a atom sized grid to find vertices (which can float a bit due to rounding errors). So some triangles might end up squashed making them basically lines.

I'll have to investigate this some more.
(2020-02-27, 22:37)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm not sure why it adds the union though.
Found it.

It's because at that point in the code I don't know for sure if it's only one reference.

Could find out with a bit more checking though, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra processing.
(2020-02-27, 22:37)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'll have to investigate this some more.
Then attached is my current version. To me, this 8868-version is quite ok, and in fact it was my first "real" try to use POVray - I really seldomly use the POVray-export, so please don't feel pushed. Smile  I worry more about having made some wrong stickers... Confused

In the attached file your suggestion to change basesize / overlap is not done yet - first experiments with the parameters just doubled filesize and did not look that better to me.

Attached Files
.mpd   8868-1 - Airtech Claw Rig.mpd (Size: 450.7 KB / Downloads: 11)
(2020-02-27, 23:14)Roland Melkert Wrote: Found it.
Well done! Smile  From my point of view it's perfect "as is" (knowing that this time I didn't do another thing in the wrong way). Smile
8828 - Front End Loader
[Image: 800x450.jpg]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Known errors: [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
8828 - Front End Loader - Grader
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Known errors: [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
8836 - Sky Ranger
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Known errors: [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
RE: 8836 - Sky Ranger
[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/size][/size][/size][/size][/color][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small] (OMR compliant)[/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]Known errors: [size=small]None[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]Done with [/size][/size][/size][/size][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/size][/size][/size][/size][/color]
8826 - ATX Sport Cycle
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Known errors: [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
RE: 8826 - ATX Sport Cycle
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]Download MPD[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] (OMR compliant)[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Known errors: [color=#333333][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]None[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Done with [/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][color=#0072bc]LDCad 1.6d[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/color]
updated stickers (removing some invalid triangles)
edit 2022-01-21: removed file, stickers will be re-worked
update 8868 - Air Tech Claw Rig
Updated stickers, which are now unofficial parts. Smile 
Thank you so much Willy for your patient and constructive guidance. Smile

Attached Files
.mpd   8868-1 - Airtech Claw Rig.mpd (Size: 446.7 KB / Downloads: 3)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »