Quoting in posts

Quoting in posts
Since we use a hybrid threaded model, I’m toying with turning off automatic quoting. This mean that the post you are replying to won’t be quoted unless you explicitly check the quote box next to the post.

Thoughts?
RE: Quoting in posts
(2020-01-08, 21:30)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Since we use a hybrid threaded model, I’m toying with turning off automatic quoting. This mean that the post you are replying to won’t be quoted unless you explicitly check the quote box next to the post.

Thoughts?

Right now, it quotes the message I am replying to, whether or not I hit the "Quote" button first. So, when the quote button has a green plus, it quotes, and when it has a red minus, it quotes. Are you proposing to make that button actually function, and have quotes off by default?
(2020-01-09, 2:02)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Right now, it quotes the message I am replying to, whether or not I hit the "Quote" button first. So, when the quote button has a green plus, it quotes, and when it has a red minus, it quotes. Are you proposing to make that button actually function, and have quotes off by default?

The quote button is for multi-quoting.  You click the posts you want to quote and it auto-inserts them into your post. With reply, only the post you are replying to get quoted.
(2020-01-09, 3:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: The quote button is for multi-quoting.  You click the posts you want to quote and it auto-inserts them into your post. With reply, only the post you are replying to get quoted.

Wow. That's not at all intuitive, but potentially very useful. Thanks for explaining it.

So, for your proposal, are you proposing that if you don't click this quote button on the post you are replying to, there will be no quote? And clicking that button on the one post will make it behave as it does now when you don't click it anywhere?
(2020-01-09, 18:41)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Wow. That's not at all intuitive, but potentially very useful. Thanks for explaining it.

So, for your proposal, are you proposing that if you don't click this quote button on the post you are replying to, there will be no quote? And clicking that button on the one post will make it behave as it does now when you don't click it anywhere?

Exactly. No quotes unless you explicitly want it.
I'm ok with the change.
(2020-01-10, 0:38)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I'm ok with the change.
So am I...
Apparently the setting that I thought changed this, doesn't in fact do what I though it did. There's a nested quotes limit setting. Right now it's set to 1 meaning only the post you are replying to gets quoted. I thought setting this to 0 would disable automatic quoting but it turns out that it disables the nested quote limiter. This mean things will stay the same for now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »