LDD to MLCAD file conversion help

LDD to MLCAD file conversion help
Hello,

I am new to this community and to LDraw, MLCAD, etc.

I downloaded both the LDraw complete installer and LDD. I am trying to convert my design on LDD (.lxf) to MLCAD (.ldr), I think. However, when I do this, LDD gives me an error message: "Warning: Unable to export model" 

I am confused as to why I can't export the LDD model to MLCAD. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

LDD file attached. (Hopefully I did it right and it works).

Thanks! 
Smile
RE: LDD to MLCAD file conversion help
Welcome here, Luis!
No idea... is it possible that you share your model file to make tests?
(2017-03-26, 11:34)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Welcome here, Luis!
No idea... is it possible that you share your model file to make tests?

Sorry, I'm new at this. What do you mean "to make tests"? Also, by sharing do you mean I share my model on the forum? Thanks again.
I meant i'd like to try here to export your file to LDraw to understand what could get wrong. So if you can post your lxf file to this forum as attachment or as a link...
(2017-03-26, 14:16)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I meant i'd like to try here to export your file to LDraw to understand what could get wrong. So if you can post your lxf file to this forum as attachment or as a link...

I don't know how to attach the file. I tried using brickshelf.com, but they never sent me an account confirmation email. Can you walk me through uploading the LDD file?
(2017-03-26, 15:17)Luis Wrote: I don't know how to attach the file. I tried using brickshelf.com, but they never sent me an account confirmation email. Can you walk me through uploading the LDD file?
Click on "Browse" button (bottom left of reply window), navigate on your computer to find your file, then when you're done click on "Add attachment" (bottom right of reply window). Then "Post Reply"...
(2017-03-26, 15:31)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 15:17)Luis Wrote: I don't know how to attach the file. I tried using brickshelf.com, but they never sent me an account confirmation email. Can you walk me through uploading the LDD file?
Click on "Browse" button (bottom left of reply window), navigate on your computer to find your file, then when you're done click on "Add attachment" (bottom right of reply window). Then "Post Reply"...

I tried, but it gives a message saying "Please correct the following errors before continuing: The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."
Quote:I tried, but it gives a message saying "Please correct the following errors before continuing: The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."
Ah - yes, indeed, forum doesn't allow .lxf files! Please compress it as a zip, or change file type (file extension) to .txt, that should work.
(2017-03-26, 16:25)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:I tried, but it gives a message saying "Please correct the following errors before continuing: The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type."
Ah - yes, indeed, forum doesn't allow .lxf files! Please compress it as a zip, or change file type (file extension) to .txt, that should work.

I think this should work: 
.zip   Lego Spaceship LDD (Final, Unfinished).zip (Size: 666.83 KB / Downloads: 6)
[quote pid='24952' dateline='1490546205']
[/quote]
Doesn't seem so. Attachment seems to have no relationship with a normal LDD .lxf file... How did you got it?
(2017-03-26, 17:10)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [quote pid='24952' dateline='1490546205']
Doesn't seem so. Attachment seems to have no relationship with a normal LDD .lxf file... How did you got it?
[/quote]

I emailed the LDD file to myself because I had to get a new laptop. I downloaded the file from my email. It seems to work fine in the program, but it can't convert to LDraw for some reason. Perhaps the email changed the file somehow? In the email attachment, it says ".lxf". 
To convert it to a .zip file, I did "Export BOM" on the LDD program and chose to save it as a zip file. Then I attached the zip file to my reply.
(2017-03-26, 17:22)Luis Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 17:10)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [quote pid='24952' dateline='1490546205']

I emailed the LDD file to myself because I had to get a new laptop. I downloaded the file from my email. It seems to work fine in the program, but it can't convert to LDraw for some reason. Perhaps the email changed the file somehow? In the email attachment, it says ".lxf". 
To convert it to a .zip file, I did "Export BOM" on the LDD program and chose to save it as a zip file. Then I attached the zip file to my reply.
[/quote]
OK, so actually you attached the bill of material, not the model! Right click on the .lxf file, then choose "add to compressed folder" to create a zip, and attach this zip file.
(2017-03-26, 18:03)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 17:22)Luis Wrote: Doesn't seem so. Attachment seems to have no relationship with a normal LDD .lxf file... How did you got it?

OK, so actually you attached the bill of material, not the model! Right click on the .lxf file, then choose "add to compressed folder" to create a zip, and attach this zip file.
[/quote]

Ok:
.zip   Lego Spaceship Zip.zip (Size: 134.27 KB / Downloads: 5)
Better... But the LDD model looks weird, as if it was exploded (shipLDD image attached)
The good news is that after beeing exported to LDraw it looks the same (shipLDCad image)
Also attached the converted file.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.ldr   Lego Spaceship LDD (Final, Unfinished).ldr (Size: 325.31 KB / Downloads: 1)
(2017-03-26, 18:43)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Better... But the LDD model looks weird, as if it was exploded (shipLDD image attached)
The good news is that after beeing exported to LDraw it looks the same (shipLDCad image)
Also attached the converted file.

Thanks! On my phone right now, will try it later. The model is supposed to look like that, I build the ship in separate chunks
For future reference: How can I export my LDD files to .ldr without using the LDD program? I'm wondering if there is another option before I email Lego customer support.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »