[LDPartEditor] Link to the latest release post (1.8.77)

[LDPartEditor] Link to the latest release post (1.8.77)
You'll find the latest release discussion in this forum thread.
Release Date for Milestone 0.8.18
I am going to release milestone 0.8.18 in the next week (monday or tuesday).
RE: [LDPartEditor] 0.8.17 Beta Released (colour palette / usability / bugfix)
(2016-07-06, 17:28)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
  1. Problem with selection: selection menu shows checkboxes for line/triangle... etc. They should act as filters, but if you uncheck "lines", select a triangle, and use "select connected" the lines connected are selected, too.
  2. Flipper: Condlines are "not recalculated" so their control points are wrong after flipping.
  3. If you hide a primitive preceded by an INVERTNEXT, this INVERTNEXT remains active and inverts all elements until an other primitive is encountered.
  4. Select the last line in text editor by clicking on line number, and if that last line has no CRLF behind, then the last two characters of the line are not selected.
Mmhhh... (3) and (4) seem to work fine now, but I see no change for (1) and (2) ?!?
RE: Release Date for Milestone 0.8.18
(2016-07-10, 16:21)Nils Schmidt Wrote: I am going to release milestone 0.8.18 in the next week (monday or tuesday).

"As a user I want "Show selection in Text Editor" as a button on the GUI of the 3D editor"

I'l be extremly thankful for it, but I consider this just a first step for a better GUI. In fact I'd like to some automatism between the Text and the 3D editor.

* I'd like to have the part activated in the 3D when I click on the tab in the Text
* I'd like to have the part activated in the Text when I select a part to be showen in 3D from the tree - actually:
* I'd like to have tabs in the 3D along with the tree on the left side - I think the GUI lacks consistency with two totally different methods to select a part

Thanks, w.

BTW. The icons "Move the manipulator to the origin froma selected subfile" and "Move a selected subfile to the manipulator" look the same.
LEGO ergo sum
Selection Filter Bug
(2016-07-11, 16:43)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2016-07-06, 17:28)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
  1. Problem with selection: selection menu shows checkboxes for line/triangle... etc. They should act as filters, but if you uncheck "lines", select a triangle, and use "select connected" the lines connected are selected, too.
Mmhhh... (3) and (4) seem to work fine now, but I see no change for (1) and (2) ?!?

Unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce this bug.

Testfile:

Code:
0 Name: new.dat
0 Author: Nils Schmidt [BlackBrick89]
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Part
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt

0 BFC CERTIFY CCW

1 16 4.93 -1.41 6.93 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 arm1.dat

1. Uncheck lines and condlines in the selection menu.
2. Select a triangle (which is connected to a line/condline), I choose

Code:
3 16 14.13 -3.41 -6.87 14.13 -5.21 -6.87 12.73 -7.41 -9.07

3. Click on "Select..."->"...Connected...".

Result:
No lines or condlines are selected.

Currently, the filter gets applied before the selection algorithm starts.
The filter is active during the selection and it gets applied after the selection process is done.

The question is:
How should the filter work?
Sorry, I don't have a decent computer here to run ldpe, I'll check again when I'm back home...
What about (2) flipper tool condlines ?
Quote:...benefit from more digits for the position/scale/rotate/translate entry fields.
I had no need for this feature in-between, but it seems that these fields are still limited to 4 decimal places, clearly not enough...
Decimal places for numerical fields
(2016-07-31, 14:15)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:...benefit from more digits for the position/scale/rotate/translate entry fields.
I had no need for this feature in-between, but it seems that these fields are still limited to 4 decimal places, clearly not enough...

Please show me these fields with a screenshot and some text marker :)

It is easy to increase the decimal places for a given field.
RE: Decimal places for numerical fields
(2016-07-31, 19:35)Nils Schmidt Wrote: Please show me these fields with a screenshot and some text marker Smile

It is easy to increase the decimal places for a given field.
Ah - indeed, I see that you increased dp number for translate menu. But not for rotate menu (see screenshot). Also the rotate/move grid fields would benefit from more precision (screenshot too)!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Decimal places for numerical fields
I created an solved the issue.
(original) [LDPartEditor] 0.8.17 Beta Released (colour palette / usability / bugfix)
edit: I just re-posted this, since I changed the main thread into something more useful

Hi :)

it's a small step to version 0.8.17... here we go!

[Image: imgDuke2.png]
As always, you can download LDPE from this page:
http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:
(7 new features and 4 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...
  • ...set the maximum amount of custom colours.
  • ...export the colour palette (*_pal.dat)
  • ...import the colour palette (*_pal.dat)
  • ...reset the colour palette.
  • ...see only the 3D editor on start / "new.dat" is virtual and not a critical "unsaved" file.
  • ...benefit from more parser magic: a BFC INVERTNEXT placed before a flat primitive triggers a warning with a quick fix.
  • ...benefit from more digits for the position/scale/rotate/translate entry fields.

The following critical issues were fixed:

2. Flipper: Condlines are "not recalculated" so their control points are wrong after flipping.
  3. If you hide a primitive preceded by an INVERTNEXT, this INVERTNEXT remains active and inverts all elements until an other primitive is encountered.
  4. Select the last line in text editor by clicking on line number, and if that last line has no CRLF behind, then the last two characters of the line are not selected.

What will the next release 0.8.18 deliver? Bug fixes, usability improvements, maybe some new fancy features...

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, it is still a beta version and something can go wrong in about 100.000 lines of code.

Make sure that you choose the right architecture for your OS and Java Virtual Machine (JVM) (64bit or 32bit).
A short guide how to check if a 64bit JVM is installed on your system is located at the bottom of this message.

1. Download the zip-Archive
  2. Extract the archive content to the location of your choice
  3. On windows, double-click "run.bat" to start LDPE.
  4. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "run.sh" to start LDPE.
Please note that this software is in the beta stage. Although, LDPE 0.8.17 was tested, there are already known issues  for this release. There is a potential risk of data loss.

You can search for updates if you do the following steps:

1. On windows, double-click "update.bat" to search for updates.
  2. On linux/mac, you have to excecute the shell script "update.sh".
I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.8
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (32/64bit): Windows [XP; Vista; 7 or newer], Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 512 MB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7, Mac OS X [>=10.6], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=10.4]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >=1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to check your JVM version (32- or 64-bit):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try on the command line:

Code:
java -d64 version

If it's not a 64-bit version, you'll get a message that looks like:

Code:
This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM. Please install the desired version.

In general, I recommend to install the 64-bit version of the JVM for Java 8.
RE: [LDPartEditor] Link to the latest release post (0.8.38b)
Did I miss something in the Java world?

Since a few days, I cannot start LDPE on any of my machines? I tried three, where it was working before, now, nada. I got the cmd window pop-up that disappears almost immediately, then nothing.

Were there recommendations to limit Java permissions or did MS patch something....

Thanks for your help & Merry Christmas!
(2017-12-22, 10:11)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Did I miss something in the Java world?

Since a few days, I cannot start LDPE on any of my machines? I tried three, where it was working before, now, nada. I got the cmd window pop-up that disappears almost immediately, then nothing.

Were there recommendations to limit Java permissions or did MS patch something....

Thanks for your help & Merry Christmas!

Hi Gerald,

please open a command prompt, navigate to the LDPE installation folder and run java -jar -Djava.library.path="natives/" -jar LDPartEditor.jar
Then post the output here and attach the error_log.txt file to it.

Can't say what is causing the problem. I need more info.

I wish you a happy holiday season and a good start into 2018!
[quote pid='26995' dateline='1513944073']
Hi Gerald,

please open a command prompt, navigate to the LDPE installation folder and run java -jar -Djava.library.path="natives/" -jar LDPartEditor.jar
Then post the output here and attach the error_log.txt file to it.

Can't say what is causing the problem. I need more info.

I wish you a happy holiday season and a good start into 2018!
[/quote]

Hi Nils, here's the file. Thanks a lot for your help!

Attached Files
.txt   error_log.txt (Size: 92.66 KB / Downloads: 3)
Bug: Can't load user settings
(2017-12-22, 13:22)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Hi Nils, here's the file. Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks Gerald!
I found a temporary workaround. Delete your user configuration file config.gz from the LDPE folder.
When you start LDPE again, you have to configure your LDraw path etc. for one time, again.

More in-depth info: Unfortunately, I can't detect the real root cause of this issue yet.
LDPE loaded an UserSettingState object at startup and failed. The logger tried to log the problem but was unable to, because it needed a locale setting for logging (and this setting is stored in the UserSettingState object).
RE: Bug: Can't load user settings
(2017-12-22, 20:45)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
(2017-12-22, 13:22)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Hi Nils, here's the file. Thanks a lot for your help!

Thanks Gerald!
I found a temporary workaround. Delete your user configuration file config.gz from the LDPE folder.
When you start LDPE again, you have to configure your LDraw path etc. for one time, again.

More in-depth info: Unfortunately, I can't detect the real root cause of this issue yet.
LDPE loaded an UserSettingState object at startup and failed. The logger tried to log the problem but was unable to, because it needed a locale setting for logging (and this setting is stored in the UserSettingState object).

Big thumbs up! Thanks a lot Nils, deleting the config.gz made it work again.

...now I need to find out how to move the text-editor into a seperate window...searching for that :-)

PS: What gets me wondering, why this happened at all machines more or less at once...
RE: [LDPartEditor] Link to the latest release post (0.8.53)
I just reinstalled windows (unrelated problems) and I'm having trouble with LD Part Editor, namely that the preview is about a quarter of the size of the window:
[Image: screenshot.jpg]
How can I fix this / is there a 0.8.52 download somewhere?

Nevermind.  I found and tried an older version and had the same problem.  I also noticed the little splash window for Excel was tiny, so I tweaked my display settings and fixed the problem.
Wrong size of the window
(2021-07-02, 14:41)Wysong Wrote: I just reinstalled windows (unrelated problems) and I'm having trouble with LD Part Editor, namely that the preview is about a quarter of the size of the window:
[Image: screenshot.jpg]
How can I fix this / is there a 0.8.52 download somewhere?

Nevermind.  I found and tried an older version and had the same problem.  I also noticed the little splash window for Excel was tiny, so I tweaked my display settings and fixed the problem.

Hi Wysong,

you can find a solution here:
https://github.com/nilsschmidt1337/ldparteditor/issues/755

You have to change the "Viewport Scale Factor" to two in the LDPE options (Tools...->Options...).

Cheers,
Nils
RE: [LDPartEditor] Link to the latest release post (1.8.62)
Hello: I instaled today these version and deleted all my works; the question is: is there a way to recover the folder? Thanks in advance.
(2022-09-14, 23:34)Javier Orquera Wrote: Hello: I instaled today these version and deleted all my works; the question is: is there a way to recover the folder? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

short answer: no, unfortunately.
A file was created and it was saved in the default location.
This location is
%appdata%\LDPartEditor\ldparteditor-temp-project

Currently, the contents of this folder are deleted on application restart!
This seems to be a major design flaw, since new users do not know that their work is gone when they do not save the file outside of the default location!

I will try to change the behaviour so that the default location won't be recreated anymore, when it is already there.
I was not able to see this problem, because I store my files always in a dedicated "Parts Authoring" folder.

edit: I created issue #932. So this problem will be solved with the next version!
(2022-09-16, 17:16)Nils Schmidt Wrote: Hi,

short answer: no, unfortunately.
A file was created and it was saved in the default location.
This location is
%appdata%\LDPartEditor\ldparteditor-temp-project\parts

Currently, the contents of this folder are deleted on application restart!
This seems to be a major design flaw, since new users do not know that their work is gone when they do not save the file outside of the default location!

I will try to change the behaviour so that the default location won't be recreated anymore, when it is already there.
I was not able to see this problem, because I store my files always in a dedicated "Parts Authoring" folder.

Thank you for the answer. Fortunatly I can recover the files from PT and the forum (part 32288 and related ones). I just wander why this happened.
(2022-09-16, 17:21)Javier Orquera Wrote: Thank you for the answer. Fortunatly I can recover the files from PT and the forum (part 32288 and related ones). I just wander why this happened.

I already implemented a fix. I want to publish the next version in the beginning of October.
(2022-09-16, 17:48)Nils Schmidt Wrote: I already implemented a fix. I want to publish the next version in the beginning of October.
Another (unrelated) thing that would be great to address is the implementation of txt2dat. Currently Ldpe creates a background per character, while it would be great to create a single background bounding rectangle for the whole string.
(2022-09-16, 18:57)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Another (unrelated) thing that would be great to address is the implementation of txt2dat. Currently Ldpe creates a background per character, while it would be great to create a single background bounding rectangle for the whole string.

+1 and, if possible, an alternative option to not have a background but only the characters themselves
(2022-09-16, 19:33)Vincent Messenet Wrote: +1 and, if possible, an alternative option to not have a background but only the characters themselves

I created an issue #933
(2022-09-16, 18:57)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Another (unrelated) thing that would be great to address is the implementation of txt2dat. Currently Ldpe creates a background per character, while it would be great to create a single background bounding rectangle for the whole string.

I created an issue #934
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »