Is there any way to associate parts with a given model?

Is there any way to associate parts with a given model?
Is there a way to have a specific set of parts associated with only a specific model? I keep each LDraw model in it's own folder and would like each model to have it's own unique parts folder. A parts folder that only holds any extra parts that I am using with the model itself. Is there a way to do this?
Re: Is there any way to associate parts with a given model?
You don't say what software you are using.

In MLCad for example, on the "Add Part" dialog, you can tick "Custom Part" and then manually browse a part from any folder. This is one way of adding parts that are not part of the official library (if that's what you mean by "extra parts").
Ahmed Elhassan Wrote:I keep each LDraw model in it's own folder and would like each model to have it's own unique parts folder. A parts folder that only holds any extra parts that I am using with the model itself. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, it is. Just put the special parts in the same folder than your model file.

That should work.

Or combine all together in am MPD content file.
Stephen Wrote:You don't say what software you are using.

In MLCad for example, on the "Add Part" dialog, you can tick "Custom Part" and then manually browse a part from any folder. This is one way of adding parts that are not part of the official library (if that's what you mean by "extra parts").

Michael Heidemann Wrote:
Ahmed Elhassan Wrote:I keep each LDraw model in it's own folder and would like each model to have it's own unique parts folder. A parts folder that only holds any extra parts that I am using with the model itself. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, it is. Just put the special parts in the same folder than your model file.

That should work.

Or combine all together in am MPD content file.

Stephen, Michael, thank you both for the information. I was well aware of the add part dialogue, I've ticked the custom part radio button and used it to manually type in the name of a dat file several times. It has never dawned on me that I could use that dialogue to browse to a folder outside of LDaw's default parts folder.
The problem in your case might be that you have the special parts anywhere on your hard disc. If you use the browse windows and add that part, all looks fine. But if you close the model file and reopen it you do not see the special part anymore. Correct.

If this is the case, please just copy the special part to the same location as your model file (no subfolder!).

If you now open your model file all will be visible again.

Reason for this behaviour:
MLCad and most other application only uses the standard ldraw library folder to search for a referenced file.
But always the current folder of the model is also checked.

In the model file there will be only the filename stored. If you like (not recommended) you can specify a path on your hard disc.

I hope this answer is not too confusing Smile
Good catch. I'm so used to doing it I forgot to say that you need to paste the path next to the filename if you use the browse button to browse outside of the default search path. Tedious, but it works.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »