I created my first part: 14413.dat

I created my first part: 14413.dat
So, I was browsing the new parts on BrickLink, and noticed there was a new part: 14413, a 4 x 4 faceted brick. Both the 3 x 3 version and 5 x 5 versions were available, so I started with the 5 x 5 and modified it down to a 4 x 4 (ended up not being as easy as I thought, but I learned quite a bit), then moved everything so that the origin would be correct.

However, when I went to submit it, it said I didn't have permissions, so I figured I'd post it here. Let me know what you think (but be gentle, this is my first part Wink ).

Attached Files
.dat   14413.dat (Size: 6.86 KB / Downloads: 0)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
Re: I created my first part: 14413.dat
Jude Wrote:However, when I went to submit it, it said I didn't have permissions, so I figured I'd post it here. Let me know what you think (but be gentle, this is my first part Wink ).

http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/

"To submit parts, you must be authorized as an author on the Parts Tracker and have read and affirmed the Contributor Agreement.
To become authorized as an author you must first register with the LDraw.org Forum (it's free) and then send an email to the Parts Library Admin (Chris Dee) with your true first and last names and your LDraw.org username. You must also include the statement "I accept the LDraw.org Contributor Agreement with regards to all past and future contributions I make to LDraw.org"."

A very short glance revealed an extra non needed quad at the bottom near one end. Part is not BFC:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/415

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Alright, I sent an e-mail to Chris, and found the offending quad (not sure how that one got past me, I thought I had them all).

As for BFC, I don't think the original file was, so obviously mine wasn't either. From what I gather from that page, it's all about making sure all the quads and triangles have either clockwise or counter-clockwise winding, and then including a line specifying which. Is that right?

One other question regarding this line:
"The order can be either clockwise or counter-clockwise (AKA anti-clockwise), and is based on viewing the polygon from its front side."

Does that mean the visible side? Because which side is "front" depends on the viewing angle, but "visible side" implies the side that can actually be seen.

Also, is there a quick way to tell which polys are clockwise and which are counter-clockwise? Going through the part poly by poly seems tedius, even with the limited number in this part.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm theJude! So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, his Judeness, or uh, Juder, or el Juderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
LDView has a built-in BFC viewer that shows correct polygons in green and incorrect ones in red.
It's looking good, but you could have choosen a better file to start from.
You have unfortunatly copied all the errors from that file... ;-(

"Unoffical Part" must be written "Unofficial_Part"
Missing a bfc statement.
There should not be edge lines between the quads on the bottom surface.

DatHeader is the tool to help you check for all these errors
DatHeader (and LDView) makes it easy to check for bfc errors. Turn on green/red front/back surfaces.

The error check from DatHeader also reports:
Double lines found
Matrix all zero found
OK, well I've begun to work on BFCing. I fixed the top but the bottom is a mess and will take a while (I'll try to work on it more tonight after work).

"There should not be edge lines between the quads on the bottom surface."

Not quite sure what you meant by this. Are you saying there shouldn't be edge lines where the interior quads meet?
I'll attach my latest version of it (again, the BFC is NOT complete yet). If you could point out the line or provide a picture of the problem, I'll try to fix it.

Attached Files
.dat   14413.dat (Size: 6.83 KB / Downloads: 0)
Quote:Not quite sure what you meant by this. Are you saying there shouldn't be edge lines where the interior quads meet?
Basically there's edgelines between the main bottom structure and the reinforcements at the very bottom flat, assuming there's no height differences there, the reinforcements should not be separated with edgelines.
Firstly, thank you for getting into part authoring. It's an extremely important part of the LDraw community.

If you haven't already worked it out, what Santeri means is that the highlighted lines should not exist.

[Image: 9316107755_6fab30da19.jpg]
144131 by gambort, on Flickr

Tim
OK, thank you for clarifying. Those edgelines are actually holdovers from the previous part, which apparently is wrong as well. I think when I finish this part, I'll probably go fix that part as well (and any other of the facet parts which have this problem). Oh well, I got my homework, now off I go. Smile

As a final note, I don't actually own this part, so I don't know for sure what the bottom looks like. If somebody who owns the part could confirm that for me, it would be appreciated.
Alright, I got everything BFCed and fixed the stated problems and submitted. However, I then went and looked at the 3 x 3 version... man, I've got a lot to learn still. Aside from there still being a few niggling issues, I'd like to go back and see if I can't use more primitives and clean up the file a bit.
See Max comments on LDraw parts tracker
Good luck, the climb is steep (but worth it Wink
Alright, I believe I am actually truly finished with this part now. It was actually certified for a while, but I made a few more final changes (removed some non-coplanar t-junctions and modified the castlations to be slightly wider). I'm actually quite happy with the results and hope you guys will be as well.
As far as i can see your first part has already passed certification process! Congratulation and welcome as part author Smile.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »