LDView - feature request

LDView - feature request
Travis,

it would be nice if I could save my LDView settings (camera position, zoom, FOV, lights, prefs, ... with a spot on the POV export settings) to my .ldr or .mpd. It is really annoying if you have to recreate everything from scratch every time you open a file you have already worked on.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: LDView - feature request
I'll think about it, but probably won't implement it (at least as requested). LDView is very specifically a viewer, meaning that it doesn't edit the LDraw files that it opens. Doing what you request is a bigger change than you might imagine, since suddenly it needs functionality normally restricted to an editor (file has changed indicator, "save file" functionality, possibly other things). The fact that Ctrl+S is currently mapped to "Save Snapshot" muddies things even further.

I could still provide the functionality, but store the data somewhere else (for example, in the registry on Windows). That would mostly solve your problem, but the information wouldn't stay with the model, since it wouldn't be stored in the model file. So sending the model to another machine wouldn't preserve the information, and even moving the model around on the same machine might cause the information to be lost (depending on how it was saved).

I'll think about it.
Would it be possible to save all those settings to a batch file (a shell script on MAC/Linux)? I tried to do something like that eons ago for ldglite.

Oh, and while we've got a feature request thread going... I still think it'd be nice to add that "Fake FSAA" option for image file output. It'd be good for the printed part images on the parts tracker, and also possibly when using LDview as the renderer for LPub.
Travis Cobbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could still provide the functionality, but store
> the data somewhere else (for example, in the
> registry on Windows). That would mostly solve
> your problem, but the information wouldn't stay
> with the model, since it wouldn't be stored in the
> model file.

Would it be possible to store them in a separate file, say .ldv? Then I could store it in the same location as my model file.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
That might be the best solution.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »