Scrolling within ML CAD parts in Windows 7

Scrolling within ML CAD parts in Windows 7
Hello,

at first I wish you all Merry Christmas and many nice CAD models in 2013 ! Wink
I'm new by Windows 7 but not new by ML CAD. Till today I used ML-CAD 3.20 on Windows XP. All worked perfect. Now I installed ML-CAD 3.40 on my new PC with Win7. When I go with mouse on graphic parts list on the left side I can't scroll with mouse scrolling key (on the top od the mouse) down and up between the parts. I can scroll only within the text list above the graphic list. Any idea where's the problem ?
Thanks.
Re: Scrolling within ML CAD parts in Windows 7
Click with the left mouse key on the slider to browse through the categories with the scroll wheel. You cannot browse through the single parts wit the scroll wheel in the parts preview.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Hello Willy,

browsing through the single parts with the scroll wheel IS possible on Windows XP. Wink Here is a short video.

I pointed the cursor on parts list and then I simply scrolled with the scroll wheel up and down. Without click on the left button. That can't I do on Windows 7. What's in my opinion strange.
It has nothing to do with Win7! I just checked here with WinXP and I could not get the same scrolling as you showed in the video!
I have checked MLCad version 3.2 and 3.3 and 3.4 all the same result.

So you need to have a very special mouse on your XP system.

Edit:
Or you have for each part a separate group. Because you can only select the group selector and change that with the mouse wheel.

You have surely not a "normal" system as other users have.
Michael Heidemann Wrote:It has nothing to do with Win7! I just checked here with WinXP and I could not get the same scrolling as you showed in the video!
I have checked MLCad version 3.2 and 3.3 and 3.4 all the same result.

So you need to have a very special mouse on your XP system.

I hate to disagree, but it does work with XP, and has on many different XP systems I have used over the years.

There are known problems with Windows 7 support for mouse-wheel scrolling. Whether anything can be done for MLCad depends how the scrolling is being handled -- actively by the application or simply "by default". With Windows Vista (and therefore also Windows 7) Microsoft introduced a new high-resolution support for scrolling. Unfortunately they didn't consider all the existing software that knows nothing about it. What happens is that the mouse is suddenly sending much smaller scroll intervals to the application, and many applications simply don't see it any more. This document by Microsoft describes what they did (but not how to fix it!)

There are several suggestions around the Internet that may help. One is disabling the new high-resolution support in the Registry:

Add the following 2 entries to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\Vid_xxxx&Pid_yyyy\<instance_ID>\Device Parameters:

VScrollHighResolutionDisable = 1
HScrollHighResolutionDisable = 1

Other suggestions are: trying a new or a different mouse driver, or rewriting the offending application. (Sorry!)

--
Martin James
Thanks for clearifing that! I was'nt aware of this stuff. But again, my system (XP) can not scroll the parts! What is then wrong with my system?
Thank you guys! Maybe I'll try to start XP Virtual machine on my Win7 and there ML-CAD. I'm curious if this will work.
I know that Windows Vista changed the behavior of the mouse wheel. (In my opinion, it broke it badly.) Windows 7 continues with Vista's mouse wheel behavior. This applies to all Windows applications. I can't remember for sure what changed, but I think that in Windows XP, the wheel automatically worked on whatever window or sub-window was under the mouse cursor, but in Vista (and 7), its events get sent to whatever window (or sub-window) has the keyboard focus. I don't think there's anything that can be done to restore XP's mouse wheel behavior, but I could be wrong.
Ah -- that rings a bell, and that's a slightly different version of problem. René: is this, perhaps, the problem you have? If you click one one of the parts in the list, does the mouse wheel then start scrolling correctly? If so, this aspect of Microsoft's "fixing something that wasn't broken" does have a cure. Take a look at the free utility WizMouse at http://antibody-software.com/web/softwar...the-mouse/.

--
Martin James
If I follow your words, why is my XP system not working that way?
This behaviour is not specific to win7!
Do you have a Logitech mouse with Logitech software drivers installed? (Or for that matter, anything but a MS Mouse with manufacture-supplied drivers?) The reason I ask is because I have had horrible luck with Logitech's software quality, while I've had fairly good luck with their hardware quality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you have drivers installed, and they are breaking things.
Btw. that's my mouse - Genius NetScroll Optical with programable sidekeys.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »